Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
|
14,303 Posts
Re: Player ageing - Novak may have longer left

Well it is called "English" so I guess the way they spell in England is the correct way.

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Should first define "we". :)
It just jumped out at me. I notice a fair few misspelled thread titles, which is ironic since MTF is so quick to correct anyone who misspells impossible-to-remember names like Youzhny. Can't we (MTF users) just get the titles right? I must sound nit picky but if teaching English is your job, then such things always distract you.

Re British spelling: it'd look weird if someone spelled it "colour", no?

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well, I do, but I see no need to react if someone prefers British spelling. It's still perfectly understandable English.

I hope you all don’t think I’m “reacting”. It’s not a big deal ultimately. I’m genuinely curious about whether or not there’s a standard spelling style on MTF. Again, if you’ve worked as an editor before then such things jump out at you.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts

I hope you all don’t think I’m “reacting”. It’s not a big deal ultimately. I’m genuinely curious about whether or not there’s a standard spelling style on MTF. Again, if you’ve worked as an editor before then such things jump out at you.
I don't know anything about such standards.

But going off-topic, since you mentioned your former work as editor: If someone delivered a writing where British spelling was used, would you (have to?) change it to American spelling?

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I don't know anything about such standards.

But going off-topic, since you mentioned your former work as editor: If someone delivered a writing where British spelling was used, would you (have to?) change it to American spelling?
I think I'll just make a thread later in NT to detail why what editors call "style guides" are useful for forums (mods already lightly edit along these lines for WWW and results threads). Simply put, it makes things more easily searchable.

For your question, it depends on the style guide of the magazine/newspaper/publisher. When I'm reading The Guardian seeing British spelling doesn't bother me at all because I expect it. But it would look weird to see that in the New York Times.

·
Registered
748 Posts

I mean in the context of MTF. Don't most people use American spelling here?
Since english is only my third languauge, I've got enough trouble writing correctly without having to double check or google words/grammar. My syntax is BS but so is 99% of MTF.

To answer your question: I don't know the exact percentage of non-english speakers here but I would say we don't care as long as it's understandable.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

I don't think there is one - depends where and how you learned your English in the first place. For example, I think I'm equally likely to write recognise and recognize, defence and defense, but at least I'll (reasonably) try not to mix the two when I start a sentence with one.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts

It just jumped out at me. I notice a fair few misspelled thread titles, which is ironic since MTF is so quick to correct anyone who misspells impossible-to-remember names like Youzhny. Can't we (MTF users) just get the titles right? I must sound nit picky but if teaching English is your job, then such things always distract you.

Re British spelling: it'd look weird if someone spelled it "colour", no?
Well, when I use the Microsoft corrector (US company BTW) it always corrects me to color to colour even MTF corrector does, so I don't really know...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
As an English teacher/translator, different spellings don't bother me – it's all part of the international mix. (But things like "alot" and "would/could/should of" do annoy me, I must admit.)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Canadian here, so we use British spelling, but does not bother me either way - I am used to seeing American spelling as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts