Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Djokovic is going to ruin this "correlation".

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Djokovic
Nishikori
Dimitrov
Coric
Tiafoe
Zverev (suspected)
Troicki.

China and Europe reported the first reinfections. So far for some people automatically assuming you will become immune after getting infected. Leave it up to doctors, experts and other professionals.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Troicki.

China and Europe reported the first reinfections. So far for some people automatically assuming you will become immune after getting infected. Leave it up to doctors, experts and other professionals.
You can get Covid twice indeed, contrary to what was believed a few months ago. There's also been two reported cases in the USA of people getting Covid while already being positive for it, a sort of double 'infection' so to speak.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
You can get Covid twice indeed, contrary to what was believed a few months ago. There's also been two reported cases in the USA of people getting Covid while already being positive for it, a sort of double 'infection' so to speak.
Those cases were likely testing errors that were then then polished and amplified by the media. That said, the actual "official" first (documented) reinfection just occured in Honk Kong. Though, I don't think there was ever a shift in what people believed in terms of immunity. Reinfections like the one in HK recently have always been as expected as an immunity of something like a couple of years (on average).

·
Registered
16,775 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Those cases were likely testing errors that were then then polished and amplified by the media. That said, the actual "official" first (documented) reinfection just occured in Honk Kong. Though, I don't think there was ever a shift in what people believed in terms of immunity. Reinfections like the one in HK recently have always been as expected as an immunity of something like a couple of years (on average).
So you're suggesting the media relies on suggestive journalism? Well then...

The Netherlands reported four reinfections today. Experts confirmed it, not the media.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Why is Zverev suspected? And when is it suspected he got it? The Adria Tour?
Many tennis blogs and websites reported the below news in April this year.

However, all we have here is Sascha's own belief that he and his gf at that time may have caught the virus while in China at the end of last year (during the Hangzhou exho in which Sascha played with Federer). While they were not tested, neither was Fed or anyone else close to them, they may just as well have had a flu or an influenza, which are both pretty common at that time of the year. So I wouldn't trust this story too much, as your imagination is likely to play tricks on you in these sort of issues while you learn something later on. Naturally everything is possible, but it's kind of just as likely that many other players have had Covid-19 without any symptoms, so they never got tested while having it and may never know having had it.

While the antibody tests are still as unreliable as they are, even the full ones, and we don't know how long antibodies last in peoples bodies, it's likely that we'll never be able to put together a very comprehensive, let alone exhaustive list of players who had the disease.

"Alexander Zverev suspects he contracted virus late last year

APRIL 5, 2020 22:10
by DZEVAD MESIC | VIEW 18250

Alexander Zverev suspects he contracted virus late last year

German tennis star Alexander Zverev suspects he may have been infected with the coronavirus without even knowing it. Just days before the new year, Zverev and his girlfriend were on a trip to China. After arriving to Australia for the inaugural ATP Cup, both Zverev and his girlfriend didn't feel well.
The German claimed he had never experienced something like that as he just couldn't stop coughing. "My friend Brenda and I were in China on December 28," Zverev told Bild, as revealed on We Love Tennis France.
"You can't imagine how I coughed for a month in Australia. I had a fever for two or three days and I coughed for five or six hours. Brenda too. We didn't know what it was. It was a cough that I never had. I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds.

I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds." Zverev, ranked at No. 7 in the world, performed disappointingly bad at the ATP Cup. Zverev lost each of his three singles matches played and Germany had no chances of making it past the Round Robin stage.

But former world No. 3 Zverev drastically improved his level at the Australian Open, where he made his maiden Grand Slam semifinal. The 22-year-old German won the opening set of his semifinal match against Dominic Thiem, before the Austrian stormed back to claim a comeback win in four sets. Zverev couldn't say with 100 percent that he contracted the coronavirus."

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

However, all we have here is Sascha's own belief that he and his gf at that time may have caught the virus while in China at the end of last year (during the Hangzhou exho in which Sascha played with Federer). While they were not tested, neither was Fed or anyone else close to them, they may just as well have had a flu or an influenza, which are both pretty common at that time of the year. So I wouldn't trust this story too much, as your imagination is likely to play tricks on you in these sort of issues while you learn something later on. Naturally everything is possible, but it's kind of just as likely that many other players have had Covid-19 without any symptoms, so they never got tested while having it and may never know having had it.

While the antibody tests are still as unreliable as they are, even the full ones, and we don't know how long antibodies last in peoples bodies, it's likely that we'll never be able to put together a very comprehensive, let alone exhaustive list of players who had the disease.

German tennis star Alexander Zverev suspects he may have been infected with the coronavirus without even knowing it. Just days before the new year, Zverev and his girlfriend were on a trip to China. After arriving to Australia for the inaugural ATP Cup, both Zverev and his girlfriend didn't feel well.
The German claimed he had never experienced something like that as he just couldn't stop coughing. "My friend Brenda and I were in China on December 28," Zverev told Bild, as revealed on We Love Tennis France.
"You can't imagine how I coughed for a month in Australia. I had a fever for two or three days and I coughed for five or six hours. Brenda too. We didn't know what it was. It was a cough that I never had. I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds.

I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds." Zverev, ranked at No. 7 in the world, performed disappointingly bad at the ATP Cup. Zverev lost each of his three singles matches played and Germany had no chances of making it past the Round Robin stage.

But former world No. 3 Zverev drastically improved his level at the Australian Open, where he made his maiden Grand Slam semifinal. The 22-year-old German won the opening set of his semifinal match against Dominic Thiem, before the Austrian stormed back to claim a comeback win in four sets. Zverev couldn't say with 100 percent that he contracted the coronavirus."
Yup, sounds almost certain he had it. In fact, thinking about it, I had the exact same experience back in 2010. Wonder how long immunity lasts?

·
Registered
731 Posts

a couple of years ago a coughing virus swept the UK over Christmas. My whole family got it, and even the Queen got it. It lasted for a couple of months. There are lots of cold/flu type viruses and it doesn’t mean he got Covid 19.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yup, sounds almost certain he had it. In fact, thinking about it, I had the exact same experience back in 2010. Wonder how long immunity lasts?
Agreed, especially since Sascha is so well known for always being able to keep his mouth shut and not seek any extra attention when he feels like it.

And if I was you I'd most likely had started to panic horribly by now, especially if you haven't been coughing enough since 2010! That just might have resulted in a horrible loss of immunity against all sorts of viruses out there.

Hopefully it hasn't already led to a stage where you're thinking I'm serious here though ;).

a couple of years ago a coughing virus swept the UK over Christmas. My whole family got it, and even the Queen got it. It lasted for a couple of months. There are lots of cold/flu type viruses and it doesn’t mean he got Covid 19.
Exactly. I think we've all got our share of similar ones, and the even colder climate up here tends to bring out the worst, or should I rather say best for the sake of all those lil microbes not vanishing totally from our planet - as we do need most of them badly. I mean the ones with 'good intentions', even though microbes are hardly aware of any good or bad intentions, they just try to stay alive and keep evolving to all kinds of directions - out of them.

Just because you've happened to visit China last winter for a few days doesn't automatically mean that the cough you've had was Covid-19.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts