Mens Tennis Forums banner

Did Wawrinka surpass Delpotro both in achievement and pedigree?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
or the Injury What-if for Delpotro linger on......Can't argue with Stan two immense triumphs getting the scalps of Djokovic (x2)and Nadal to add to MC title vs Federer ..IMO, the last 3 set dismantlement of Djokovic, who has been grinding down the tour into oblivion since last October, clinched it for me-- when he is on; he is frighteningly so..

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Del Po career was hindered by injuries so achievements doesn't come into play, this would be like asking who would win a match between a healthy player and a player that just lost his legs in a car crash.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Without injury I'm sure Delpo could have won another slam. It's such a shame what he could've done taking advantage of the big 4's collapse but then gets injured :sad:. Well he's still 26. If Stan's winning slams and 28 and 30 then I don't see why Delpo can't if his return to tennis is successful. One things for sure is that these guys are a delight to watch when playing their best. If only we had a Delpo vs Stan slam final :drool:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yes, without injury Delpo might have won far more but it looks increasingly likely that he will never win anything big again.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I like Wawrinka's game more because it is more effortless and beautiful.
But i still l think DP peak is a bit higher.
PS. He probaly had that injury because his forehand relies on wrist too much

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I like Wawrinka's game more because it is more effortless and beautiful.
But i still l think DP peak is a bit higher.
PS. He probaly had that injury because his forehand relies on wrist too much
Disagree, Stans peak he can hit winners from anywhere on the court off both wings. Delpo was a monster forehand with an average backhand.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Del Potro is easily the better player, just been unlucky with injury.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hell yes. What ifs are useless, only achievements matter. One could say what if Wawrinka werent a huge headcase poorly coached 90% of his career too.

Del Potro is insanely overrated anyway. At his peak he was world #5, lost almost every match to Murray or Djokovic, despite having some success vs Federer and Nadal, and didnt even win a Masters. His U.S Open win was very impressive but exagerrated by some. Nadal was in one of those very low funks he has, either injury related or whatever, and was something like 1-10 vs top 10 opponents in the 2nd half of 2009. Federer had absolutely NO serve at all in the US Open final and still has an easy straight set win without squandering about 100 break points or something in the 2nd set, many of those to go up a double break. I find Wawrinka at his best more impressive to be honest. Certainly on slower courts at his best, he is better than Del Potro at his best is on either slower or faster ones.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Yup. Del Potro is a one slam wonder regardless of the circumstances .. he is a taller, Argentinian Roddick without the serve and model wife

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Well and truly over. Injuries are just part and parcel of the Del Potro game. He has a big forehand, big game, but his flat bashing isn't exactly safe for the wrist over time.

Without injuries, you can remove his wins. His game comes with injuries, therefore Stan is better.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What debate? There is no debate. Wawrinka has 2 slams but was a Simon/Alamgro/Gasquet type player for 95% of his career. Del Potro has 1 slam and was a top class player his whole career. There is no debate. The fact that Wawrinka had his success when Del Potro wasn't playing counts in this comparison. Wawrinka's big achievements also come in an overall weaker field.

I can only imagine how frustrated Del Potro must be, watching Wawrinka and Cilic winning slams while he can't play.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
What debate? There is no debate. Wawrinka has 2 slams but was a Simon/Alamgro/Gasquet type player for 95% of his career. Del Potro has 1 slam and was a top class player his whole career. There is no debate. The fact that Wawrinka had his success when Del Potro wasn't playing counts in this comparison. Wawrinka's big achievements also come in an overall weaker field.

I can only imagine how frustrated Del Potro must be, watching Wawrinka and Cilic winning slams while he can't play.
This.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts