• Tomic laughs at this level

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tennis that was played in 2011 remains some of the best the world has ever seen. The third set of the US Open final that year showcased that fact more than any other set. Djokovic, at the peak of his powers, facing his nemesis Nadal in prime condition with vengeance in his hitting. Rest asurred; the level displayed is the making of legends! I dare to say that this is the highest level of tennis seen during an entire set by T-W-O players - not just one. Obviously debatable, but this is my opinion. Let's just say I believe that these two players, in their 2011 US Open third set level, would wipe the floor with anyone from 2018 to current date, no matter the surface.

Are there any better set than this when it comes to pure level from both players?

·
|
14,082 Posts
The 3rd Set was an example of how Rafa plays when he's low on confidence.
Rafa was low on confidence and was hitting crosscourt far too much.
When Rafa is in-form and confident he's going for down-the-line winners on the biggest points, and that is why-
2010 US Open= Nadal def. Djokovic 64 57 64 62
2013 US Open= Nadal def. Djokovic 62 36 64 61
Djokovic has no answer for peak Rafa at the US Open.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
I mean, each on their own may have played better sets, but both coming together in such form is probably a one time.

Actually, shoutout to their '08 FO 3rd set.

·
|
14,082 Posts
When Rafa plays "hit and run" tennis and refuses to take risks, then it makes Djokovic look great.
2015 Roland Garros was obviously the most extreme example of this, except Rafa lacked the determination to even play "hit and run" properly.
2011 US Open was an example of Rafa lacking confidence but still having the fighting spirit.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Not with that serving. Peak tennis means peak serving among everything else means likely no breaks since serve > return. 1st set of the Fedovic SF >>> wtaserving.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The tennis that was played in 2011 remains some of the best the world has ever seen. The third set of the US Open final that year showcased that fact more than any other set. Djokovic, at the peak of his powers, facing his nemesis Nadal in prime condition with vengeance in his hitting. Rest asurred; the level displayed is the making of legends! I dare to say that this is the highest level of tennis seen during an entire set by T-W-O players - not just one. Obviously debatable, but this is my opinion. Let's just say I believe that these two players, in their 2011 US Open third set level, would wipe the floor with anyone from 2018 to current date, no matter the surface.

Are there any better set than this when it comes to pure level from both players?

A true Righty BH vs Lefty FH dueI. At 7:00 point, aImost 7 straight BH's from Serbinator ending w/ a BH drop shot winner making Humblito rightfully unleash an F bomb. At 16:28 MTB, wrong shot seIection from Novak when he had whoIe Ieft haIf of NadaI's court wide open & hit right back to him & paid the price instead of a sure 5-4, it became 6-3 but what he may now Iack in some power & youthful adrenaIine, he's compensated in acumen & maturity. Tip my hat to OP for providing this gem in these grim days.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Indeed,great set.Brutal.Savage

·
Registered
875 Posts
It was just about the peak of baseline defense and of fighting spirit in tennis. Great consistency and fitness from both, and the set had fantastic drama with Nadal coming back after Novak served for the set.

Was it the best tennis in "pure quality" terms? I suppose it depends on how you're defining quality tennis, but I would say no. Neither player was forced to volley much or move up-and-down the court (only left-right) so while they displayed great power, strong returning abilities, speed and stamina, they didn't have to use much touch, reflex or skill. They didn't serve particularly intelligently or well either, which is why there were so many breaks. Nadal was also hitting a lot of short balls and overly relied on crosscourt shots in this match, which is part of the reason why he didn't make many mistakes.

I will say this though: this is a highly underrated match purely because it wasn't a five-setter, and I enjoyed this match a lot more than their Australian Open 2012 Final which I think people overate. If you're into baseline battles, this has to be right up there.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Can't compare baseline bashing with the serve-volley, artistry, deft touches of a bygone era. Two different games, chalk and cheese. These lads would be fish out of water if forced to approach the net more often. Federer though could adapt to any era, any style. GOAT.

·
Registered
995 Posts
In terms of baseline play/defense, very well could be. In terms of anything else, definitely not. You could also tell Dull was not hitting his shots as well as he did in 2010 and 2013 but yet again, Djokovic was also playing better here and forced Dull to play defense almost every point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think this is the most underrated set of their rivalry. If it's best ever I'm not sure, let's chuck it in the top 100.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When Rafa plays "hit and run" tennis and refuses to take risks, then it makes Djokovic look great.
2015 Roland Garros was obviously the most extreme example of this, except Rafa lacked the determination to even play "hit and run" properly.
2011 US Open was an example of Rafa lacking confidence but still having the fighting spirit.
Dull still unbeaten when h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ not lucking confidence

·
6,189 Posts
The 3rd Set was an example of how Rafa plays when he's low on confidence.
Rafa was low on confidence and was hitting crosscourt far too much.
When Rafa is in-form and confident he's going for down-the-line winners on the biggest points, and that is why-
2010 US Open= Nadal def. Djokovic 64 57 64 62
2013 US Open= Nadal def. Djokovic 62 36 64 61
Djokovic has no answer for peak Rafa at the US Open.
Djoker in 2010 was just before his peak-prime.
Nole in 2013 was similarly low in confidence, and not able to execute his shots with too many ufe's, plus he choked the 3rd set.
The 2-1 USO record, often used by Nadal fans, is not a true indicator of Nole's ability on hard court - as we saw at last year's AO final where he wiped the court with Nadal.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Not to mention in USO13 NadaI faced his perennial pigeon Gasquet in straight set SF whiIe Novak had to go thru one of his arch rivaIs Warwinka in a grueIing 5 setter.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
2011-2012 and 2013 to an extent produced such a great tennis, it always makes me nostalgic. Particularly when you watch 2 steps slower Fedalovic still dominating the tour.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
No. But you are to be forgiven for recency bias. No doubt that this example was competitive, though the tiebreaker was never in doubt.. There are undoubtably many matches throughout history in my mind which have had better single sets and even more that had better multiple sets.

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 21 Posts