Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
justice for all
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Massive protests, riots and demonstrations, millions of unemployed and long queues to food banks, shops looting, property destruction and vandalism, police and national guard shooting people and media with rubber bullets, the White House attacked, president bolting to nuclear shelter and threatening with using soldiers against the people, etc.
So has the USA turned into a Third World country or not yet?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Massive protests, riots and demonstrations, millions of unemployed and long queues to food banks, shops looting, property destruction and vandalism, police and national guard shooting people and media with rubber bullets, the White House attacked, president bolting to nuclear shelter and threatening with using soldiers against the people, etc.
So has the USA turned into a Third World country or not yet?
lol. I lived in the US and is a much better place that the news would tell you.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
USA is 50/51 countries in 1. All different. Different rules. Different lifestykes different people. I have been to Vegas,New York and Florida a combined 9 times. Each time i did not want to leave. Its awesome. What you talk about is happening in not every "COUNTRY" in USA

·
justice for all
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
USA is 50/51 countries in 1. All different. Different rules. Different lifestykes different people. I have been to Vegas,New York and Florida a combined 9 times. Each time i did not want to leave. Its awesome. What you talk about is happening in not every "COUNTRY" in USA
It's a beautiful country/ countries - no doubt about it.

·
justice for all
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW - I hope the users from USA don't feel offended. I didn't intend to insult anyone with the "Third World country" label but to provoke some discussion.
I love this country and I just feel worried about what is happening there right now.

·
Registered
57,777 Posts
America is such a stunningly unequal place with such a pathetic social welfare system it's always been much lower quality of life than its GDP indicates.

But things are definitely spiraling fast right now, yeah. Could easily be the case that we don't have a "free" election this November (of course, we're just 20 years removed from the last stolen election. The US has never been what its PR says it is).

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
It is bad, but far from being uncommon in the US history. Such events are covered extensively by the media when they're happening, but not so much in books and movies afterwards, because they leave deep and long-lasting traumas in the affected communities. IMO, they don't have the presence in the collective consciousness that they deserve. It's like a tacit understanding that such things are best left forgotten. (I disagree with that.) From recent history, I remember the debates after Ferguson riots during Obama, and was it better then? Worse? I really have no idea. Police work is difficult and dangerous and most of the employees are not some racist idiots, at least I can't imagine they are. So, what should be done, maybe more psychological tests? Some restrictions on police procedures? New SOPs?
Of course the US will rebound quickly. No, it is not a third world country.

·
The special one
14,167 Posts
I was actually thinking about this the other day and OP raises some good points.

The way I see it, when I think of a 3rd world country I think of most African countries and some Asian countries that are full of poverty with low life expectancy.

As for America I definitely consider them a 1st World country, albeit on the lower end. Basically I'd feel much safer going to places like Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Australia than I would if I went to US, plus if I was going to these places to find work I'd have a higher minimum wage and have better health care in all these places than I would if I was in America.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I don't think so. The US is still rich and powerful. Unfortunately, the US abandoned its core values like equality, diversity, and unity by electing Donald Trump. Now they pay the prize.

The question is, why did Donald Trump got elected in the first place. I mean, they knew what they would get. Its like they chose to blow up the country deliberately.

I think the main problem is that their political system is totally corrupt. The connection between the people and the government is lost. Trump was by many just a big "fuck you" to the establishment. The "American Dream" is long dead, if you want to make it, you have to be born into the right family and have the right skin color.

Add to this a broken media system (one word: FOX) and a deep routed tendency of being violent, and you have a powder keg ready to explode.

I fear there is no easy way out. But Trump certainly does everything to make things look worse than they are. I guess the US will bounce back - but I would not bet on it.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Parts of USA are worse than some third world countries.
I've lived in South Carolina (i don't know if it gets worse than that) and I can definitely say that if it were a country, it would be better than most developing and emerging countries.

·
RAVE ON
18,677 Posts
I don't know of any "thirld world" country with so many millions people living their whole lives on welfare while contributing nothing to society and having no intention to contribute ever in the future, going on looting sprees every 15-20 yrs so they could get a bigger TV set free of charge.

So no.
LOL, compare the unemployment rate in the US to that of most European countries and you will get an idea of why so many Europeans are driven to looking for a better life In the US.

Der Fuhrer in his bunker will not be around for ever.

But maybe the real bakano just stood up. Maybe what you are trying to say is that you really hate are all those Latino freeloaders in the US.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
It's many countries at the same time.

I don't think so. The US is still rich and powerful. Unfortunately, the US abandoned its core values like equality, diversity, and unity by electing Donald Trump. Now they pay the prize.

The question is, why did Donald Trump got elected in the first place. I mean, they knew what they would get. Its like they chose to blow up the country deliberately.

I think the main problem is that their political system is totally corrupt. The connection between the people and the government is lost. Trump was by many just a big "fuck you" to the establishment. The "American Dream" is long dead, if you want to make it, you have to be born into the right family and have the right skin color.

Add to this a broken media system (one word: FOX) and a deep routed tendency of being violent, and you have a powder keg ready to explode.

I fear there is no easy way out. But Trump certainly does everything to make things look worse than they are. I guess the US will bounce back - but I would not bet on it.
The prize that comes to be a superpower is that , it's not in anybody's hand to change. A machinery that feeds itself like china in the other extreme . Both countries are united in that front, in which both need something to mantain status as totalitarian capitalist and communist regimes , the hard working oompah loompas inside their borders, and of course "invasions" outside their borders.

Edit: third world countries are flunctuating and dependant countries, they generally destroy whatever the previous government did , live perpetually on loans from superpowers, the working and middle class maintain a vast amount of non working people . USA is NONE of that as said, they ' ll bounce back rapidly macroeconomically and sooner than later the comoners will be back to having 3 jobs to pay loans , expenses and stuff.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts