Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the way he played in madrid and paris; he strikes the ball exacctly like agssi, lots of anticipation.
i think he may become a new agassi and go on to win 8-9 slams.
What do you think?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Re: Is the NEW Nlabandian a NEW Agassi?

you have a point there but he will win more than 9 for sure

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

how do you know for sure?
ok he ha s agame like agssi but agassi wasnt coplete.
he lacked serve and net skills.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts

how do you know for sure?
ok he ha s agame like agssi but agassi wasnt coplete.
he lacked serve and net skills.
so you have your answer :yeah:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Where is this new guy Nlabandian from? Kenya?

Reactions: jayjay

·
Banned
14 Posts

Nalbandian and Agassi have good hand-eye coordination and similar means of practice(repetition).
But where Agassi's talent ventures no further than the baseline, Nalbandian has branched into an all-court player, with an artistry on-court unlike anything Agassi has shown.

When Agassi played well, you could rely on him to brush aside the weaker players. But without the extra gear to consistently beat the best.
Whereas Nalbandian has lost 6-1, 6-2 to Sanguinetti, then beaten Nadal 6-1, 6-2.
One player relying on match fitness, the other relying on motivation.

If Nalbandian serves well, he is incredibly difficult to stay aggressive against. Winning 18 consecutive points on serve against Nadal in their Paris final.
If players like Clement and Philippoussis were still making slam finals, yes Nalbandian would have 8 or 9. But tennis has progressed a lot in the past decade, and he'll have to share with Fed, Nadal and Djokovic.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Wow, the Nalby Bandwagon in Full Force again!

·
Banned
14 Posts

Wow, the Nalby Bandwagon in Full Force again!
If you don't follow tennis closely, and you compare the games of Agassi and Nalbandian. It's difficult to believe that one has 8 slams, and the other zero. This astonishment leads to the creating of this thread.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

If you don't follow tennis closely, and you compare the games of Agassi and Nalbandian. It's difficult to believe that one has 8 slams, and the other zero. This astonishment leads to the creating of this thread.
I very well understand THAT - and I fully agree that Nalby deserves at least ONE SLAM. :yeah:
Let's just see how he'll be doing after a nice Christmas and New Year celebration with all them turkeys, donuts and whatnots. :p

Only kidding folks - I think he's indeed a great player (always has been, :worship: - for those that have followed tennis for more than a decade!) - but let's not just expect too much from him before the season has started off again, no? :D - aka let's just wait and SEE! ;))

·
Registered
4,627 Posts

David definitely possesses the talent to do well the next couple of years should he fully commit to tennis and stay injury free. But let's not get carried away. As things stand now, he's not even fit to tie Andre's shoes.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts

There are a lot of similarities. Both were superlative baseliners with excellent knowledge of court geometry and early ballstriking abilities.

Agassi hit the ball with more consistent pace and precision --- in general a bit earlier and flatter. Nalbandian is capable of doing this on any given shot, but he's willing to play defensively and wait for the right moment to turn aggressive. Agassi's approach when forced into defensive positions was often "when in doubt, hit it harder".

Nalbandian has more variety -- he's far better at the net and implements shots like the forehand dropshot, which Agassi almost never used. Nalbandian knows when to take pace off the ball and give himself time to get back into an advantageous position.

Both were smart players (in their most mature incarnations...), but in slightly different ways. Agassi was a disciplined "punisher" who knew that very few players could keep up physically or mentally with his talents if he dictated play from the baseline. Agassi did not venture to net naturally, but to his credit he became extremely good at recognizing when he had forced a weak reply from his opponent, and thus his percentage at net was surprisingly high. Nalbandian is more "crafty" --- he is willing to play more defensively, and then suddenly change pace, spin, and angles, turning defense to offense.

It's a shame the two of them only played once. It was a close match, and highly entertaining. :worship:

·
Registered
453 Posts

ahhh Nalby has to lose his fat gut first and remember alot of tennis writers were already writing him off as a hasbeen until he won the paris and the madrid masters which was incredible.
Before we start proclaiming him a hahah 9 grandslam winner yeah right, let see how he does at the AO first.
He properly the best player on tour who hasn't won a slam yet but i put that down to mental breakdown not injuries.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts

No. Let him win a slam first before people peg him in as the next contender for the GOAT title.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts

There are a lot of similarities. Both ...
It's a shame the two of them only played once. It was a close match, and highly entertaining. :worship:
There is one more "of similarities" - similarity by descent.
Both ... have same descent... They are Armenians.

I found it here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=24313

may be that similarity makes Nalbandian a NEW Agassi?
I think it can make an influence on the way of playing :)

·
Registered
5,712 Posts

Saying Nalbandian DESERVES anything more than he's gotten is a bit of a stretch. Does he have the talent to have more? Absolutely. But I'd say what he does with it is a testament to how much he doesn't deserve one more than to how much he does.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Saying Nalbandian DESERVES anything more than he's gotten is a bit of a stretch. Does he have the talent to have more? Absolutely. But I'd say what he does with it is a testament to how much he doesn't deserve one more than to how much he does.
Might well've been a wrong way to 'put it' as I've admittedly done so.
Regarding his undisputable talent I indeed believe Nalby should've piled up more titles than he indeed has done so so far. So I guess it comes down to how one defines 'deserved', here. Don't get me wrong about this - in the end, all the players that truly 'deserve' a title, GET IT. I only wanted to express that Nalby indeed didn't get those titles that he, regarding his talent, should've got. Has had a lot to do with this one Swiss guy, aka, the so-called transitional champion (for some 4 years by now, or no? :p) piling up all those titles the past four years or something the like, eh? :angel:

Rogelio's Reign won't go on forever, as all reasonable fans of his acknowledge. And yes, indeed, I think Nalby should be able to at least catch one of those GS titles, whenever, whatever. Or even MORE. :angel:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Claybuzza, I think it's time to start thinking about adding a third player to your signature and fandom, just to be sure, and we all know who that is ;)
I'm sure you would hate to have a slam not covered.

[:rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist]

Reactions: Sunset of Age

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Claybuzza, I think it's time to start thinking about adding a third player to your signature and fandom, just to be sure, and we all know who that is ;)
I'm sure you would hate to have a slam not covered.

[:rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist]

:lol:

Muzza, okay, Murray? :p

Your name is Harm, isn´t it.... pleased to meet you! :D

·
Registered
731 Posts

You should have to be a retarded not to understand...
Agassi is one of the best ever players, Nalbandian is not and probably will never be. To say that Agassi did not have the consistency to beat the best is one of the dumbest comments i have read on this board. Agassi alone is the player with the most wins over Sampras. That says enough about consistently beating the bests.. Period.

And Nabandian will be lucky to win a grand slam.

We´ll see how he fares next year when all of the players are fully rested.

:wavey:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts