Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is the tennis championship format better than world cups and olympic games?

• Yes, the quality is better and its more acurate whos the best

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • They both have their pros and cons

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not so much asking the question here "do you think world cup and olympic based sports are stupid", i'm more asking the question that do you feel tennis historians judge the best players more fairly than sports where there is only one event that matters every four years?

I personally think the format tennis uses is better. Its not perfect, it certainly has flaws.

But I feel that history saying the best player is probably the one with the most grand slams, has far more merrit than saying the best footballing nation or the best runner or triathlete is the one with the most olympic medals. Sure, sometimes the team or athlete with the most world titles or olympic golds IS the best, but I find just as often they arent.

Whether people ever want to admit it or not, theres a great deal of luck and fortune that goes into winning a world title or olympic medal. It doesnt always go to the best player. Whereas clearly someone who wins 10 grand slams or more cant be relying on just luck.

Sometimes injuries cost athletes the only legit chance they ever get in those sports, where as a sport with 4 slams a year like Golf or Tennis, its a more fair contest.

But more than anything else, not always, but generally, at tennis grand slams, we see the best level of play. The winner usually plays outstanding attacking tennis to win. These tournaments generally tend to reward such play.

However, world cups are usually dour affairs. World cup finals, be they Soccer, Rugby or anything else are usually boring, defensive affairs. They dont stick out in your memory. The drama is there but nothing much else. And in a sport like football where one decision is key, I feel its a too much of a lottery.

Sure, tennis does have olympics too. Runners do have a world championships. But they mean almost nothing if you dont win the olympic medal. For example, an 800m runner with 1 olympic gold medal and nothing else is probably remembered more than a 3 time world champion. Do you think thats right?

The best of the best of the best will win both of course. And granted tennis is an individual sport. But I feel the balance is more right and even in tennis.

What do you guys think?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Too different.

To win anything major you got to perform on the day that's not luck. Hicham El Guerrouj was clearly the best 1500m runner for years. At Atlanta 96 he fell when getting ready to make the challenge. Sydney 2000 he got outrun in the straight. If he didn't win the gold in Athens, then the doubts would always be there.

Team sports can't be compared at all.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Test cricket is the best gauge of a player's quality in any sport.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes. The 128 knock out draw is used in tennis is great.
I think the World Cup definitely would be better if they used a 128 tennis style draw.

It would be much more exciting in the early rounds than the Group format is.
Also you'd get far more nations there competing, which is better for the sport.

It will never change though.

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
Test cricket is the best gauge of a player's quality in any sport.
I have to agree to this but it depends on the wicket .The wicket should not be belters like the one in the sub continent but more like the ones which are present in England :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts