Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always seems to be behind the other slams.

Now that it finally has a roof and lights they are sending players home for no reason and playing it in atrocious weather conditions.

Discuss.

Reactions: yellow grass

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
They are working in conditions they never held a slam in before. First 3 rounds are crucial to pass as quickly as possible, so count on it to be inhumane towards players that are not revenue-worthy.

And yes, get a damn hawkeye all you clay tournaments.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
They are by far the worst slam. Finally they put a roof on the centre court and upgraded the facilites. Five years too late.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are by far the worst slam. Finally they put a roof on the centre court and upgraded the facilites. Five years too late.
Should it be demoted to a Masters and the major goes to Asia?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Haha are you kidding? It's still one of the most historic and prestigious Grand Slam's in the world. They just need to get with times. Introducing hawkeye on clay should be the next step - gradually phase into the 250's and up.

Asia has a Masters 1000, two 500's and a bunch of 250's - that's enough for them IMO. I've seen A LOT of matches at the Shanghai Masters with rows and rows of empty seats (before COVID obviously).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nah, the Australian Open should be demoted and moved to Monte Carlo.

·
Your visions will happen
50,997 Posts
They are pretty Medievel

2 minute highlight videos of 5 hr matches, 1 min press conferences from 10 mins on their garbage youtube page, finally joined the 20th century with lights and roof, silencing the players speaking out, terrible COVID testing policy (now reversed) and we are not even to the first Monday. Good luck catching any replay or highlights as they take shit down ASAP and never upload anything

·
Registered
860 Posts
Asia, you mean specifically China? They should actually ban all international sports tournaments from being hosted in that country. It's a disgrace to humanity.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
All the majors are historically important and the core tournaments of the game, the idea that any major is currently behind any other in terms of prestige is largely erroneous, only Wimbledon has a slight edge in prestige to this day.

Of course in the 70s and prior i would say Australia did have the least important slam but since it moved to Melbourne that is no longer the case. Wimbledon and the US were always highly prestigious as was the French since the Open era began but yeah Wimbledon was even more prestigious relatively speaking to the other slams the further you go back.

Reactions: INFJ and Idemo

·
Registered
887 Posts
It currently is, and will remain to be, the worst slam.

Reactions: INFJ

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
They are pretty Medievel

2 minute highlight videos of 5 hr matches, 1 min press conferences from 10 mins on their garbage youtube page, finally joined the 20th century with lights and roof, silencing the players speaking out, terrible COVID testing policy (now reversed) and we are not even to the first Monday. Good luck catching any replay or highlights as they take shit down ASAP and never upload anything
USO has added extended highlights only days after the matches were finished, actually I think after the tournament was over. In fact at the beginning of USO there's being jokes on TF about the now good WTA highlights to going back to shorter ones at the USO.

·
Your visions will happen
50,997 Posts
USO has added extended highlights only days after the matches were finished, actually I think after the tournament was over. In fact at the beginning of USO there's being jokes on TF about the now good WTA highlights to going back to shorter ones at the USO.
Yes but at least with USO I can go back and watch anything on replay

·
3,479 Posts
RG has been a relative snoozefest for over a decade but I have a feeling that this will change in the next couple of years. Then it will return to being an unpredictable and fun slam like it was decades ago.

I've always loved the setting, very picturesque and classic. The tournament organizers are draconian and annoying but what can you do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
RG is the worst slam, but we should not blame them on such external factors like weather and the coronavirus. Also, while they were too slow to add roofs and lights until this year, at least they did it finally.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The overhyped French, then USO is a close second with the worst organizers. It’s all about money greed to them. Australian Open is the best.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,876 Posts
It always seems to be behind the other slams.

Now that it finally has a roof and lights they are sending players home for no reason and playing it in atrocious weather conditions.

Discuss.
well they cannot control the weather, especially when you consider the usual timeslot. Even in May/June, the weather was often mercurial.

The roof only exists on Centre Court so they have limitations on who can play on it. I'm guessing because of the three day thing they decided to suspend the Moutet match, and they cannot simply relocate this match to CC having started elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts