Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yes - it can be.
And I find that to be the ONLY worthwhile argument in defence of Federer's GOAT application.
That he played a tennis which was soothing to the eye , with a certain amount of (girlish) charm and light touch.

But at the end of the day its about personal preferences - I for one , prefer tennis to be aggressive & power game with hard hit shots and lots of grunt.
Thats why I like Nadal's game.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Agreed with Dark Knight, but like I've said; to preserve our beautiful sport tennis, it is important that the greatest player is not Baldull.

Baldull represents muscle tennis, forced shots, athletic ability, and ugly defence whereas Federer represents extreme talent, longevity, style and offense. A player of Baldull's style can only win in this era, whereas Federer's game can win in every single era.

@ flyer - You call Dull aggressive??? wow

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Of course it is relevant. Tennis players play for the crowd, and it wasn't moonballers that made tennis one of the most populars sports around the world.
Take football for an example, the last champions league winners. Some people loved Guardiola Barcelona's tiki-taka, others loved the faster and direct football of Jupp's Bayern. They became history. Yet noone almost remembers the disgusting win of DiMatteo's Chelsea.

Rafael Nadal is obviously the Chelsea FC of tennis. People talk about Nadal nowdays because he's active and he's winning, but few years after retiring no one will remember him. He will be...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts