Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people point to Federer's long line of consecutive grand slam quarterfinal appearances and say it his most impressive record. Same now with Djokovic's streak that everyone is in awe of. But really how hard is it for guys at the very top to make a slam quarter? Often their first 2-3 opponents are 250 level players and then their 4() round opponent is a guy in the top 40 who they usually own head to head. Plus the 3 out of 5 format does not allow for as many upsets.

In many ways the first few rounds of a major are not all that challenging for the top guys in the world.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Federer's 23 consecutive grand slam semi-finals is much more impressive than the quarter-final streak. Federer's ability to win 23 consecutive matches in finals is also amazing. The 17 slam total is nothing to sneeze at.

Until the mono, Federer was almost flawless in his consistency.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Feds semifinal streak is most impressive, but the QF streak should not be underrated. The run Federer had and the one Novak is on (in regards to QF) should be given full props. It's insanely impressive to be that consistent.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Why were Nadal or Murray or Sampras or Agassi or Hewitt or ... incapable of achieving such an easy miniscule task, then. :shrug:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
it's not ... has Nole broken Roger's record yet? I think if there is anyone with a chance, it's Nole. The guy is so god damn consistent. Like a tennis robot from the future

·
The Last Mohican
24,720 Posts
Only if you're a Fed hater. The QF stat is incredible, but Roger has better records.

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
For the QF streak it's not so much the opponents you beat to get there as the amazing ability to never be upset early due to a bad day. Just list up those 4 x 36 opponents. Sure, Fed was favourite every time, but would you expect him to go 144 - 0?

Personally I always thought 18 from 19 finals was the strongest stat, even though that's not actually a streak.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Only if you're a Fed hater. The QF stat is incredible, but Roger has better records.
Roger used to be so consistent when he was younger ... and never injured. It's a testament to his incredible ability to survive bad days .. but yeah, Roger has many better records

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
it's not ... has Nole broken Roger's record yet? I think if there is anyone with a chance, it's Nole. The guy is so god damn consistent. Like a tennis robot from the future
Roger's QF record is 36, Novak is at 24 now. Kinda hard to reach.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Roger's QF record is 36, Novak is at 24 now. Kinda hard to reach.
oh probably ... I am just saying if anyone can do it, it's him. He is very consistent too but it will be hard. On the other hand, Nole owns all the players of the future generation, so it might be possible

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I just checked the women's all time stat on that mark.What do you think the Number 1 mark is for them huh since it's 'not that impressive'?..... 50?? ... 40???? 30???? Nope!... It's 19!... That's right,19.Held by Graf.... and then 18 by Navratilova.So even the women who apparently have a player or 2 (that's being conservative bigtime) dominate the circuit still can get barely halfway to Fed's mark.So no,it isn't overrated by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh and just to go a step further I also checked the women's all time mark for most consecutive semi's: It's 18 by Navratilova and then Graf 15.Still falls short of Fed's 23.His records are insane pure and simple.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why were Nadal or Murray or Sampras or Agassi or Hewitt or ... incapable of achieving such an easy miniscule task, then. :shrug:
For Sampras and Agassi they played in the 16 seeded player era so they were more likely to face a very good player early on. And I'm not saying it's miniscule but it's also not the holy grail of records.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

Yeah, consecutive QFs, SFs, Fs are overrated, because the job was not accomplished fully. Who cares. Only the wins in Finals, that too at majors, matter the most. The other records are good to keep and good to read.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Why were Nadal or Murray or Sampras or Agassi or Hewitt or ... incapable of achieving such an easy miniscule task, then.
The real answer is yes, and no at the same time. Jimmy Connors from 1974 to 1984 missed exactly one QF. The fact that he missed out 5 FO and 11 AOs in his prime, he could have the record. We don't know.

But aside from that, no, it's an impressive record. But the SF record is the bigger one. Plus the two F records which nobody's even matched his lesser one.

As for Agassi - he just never put the time in for fitness. Same with Sampras. Nobody, since maybe Lendl really did it.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
oh probably ... I am just saying if anyone can do it, it's him. He is very consistent too but it will be hard. On the other hand, Nole owns all the players of the future generation, so it might be possible
Yea I agree, can't see anyone else coming close to Fed's record.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
This is a superb streak! Think about it this way. There are 128 people playing at a grand slam. By the time the quaterfinals roll out, that number is down to 8 people.

In the biggest, most prestigious tournaments of the whole world, Federer was one of those last 8 people.... for 36 tournaments in a row!

Say that slowly and think those numbers over.

4510-4536 people competing for those 36 grand slams (2944 is the real number, 2920 may count for walkovers, injuries, etc.). Federer was a part of the 567 Talented Players who reached the Quarterfinals of those 36 grand slams.

I don't know why anyone would ignore this statistic, just shows his dominance over the tennis world, which has lasted for almost 10 years!

Who knows what this record could have been, without 2013 :shrug:

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
A lot of people point to Federer's long line of consecutive grand slam quarterfinal appearances and say it his most impressive record. Same now with Djokovic's streak that everyone is in awe of. But really how hard is it for guys at the very top to make a slam quarter? Often their first 2-3 opponents are 250 level players and then their 4() round opponent is a guy in the top 40 who they usually own head to head. Plus the 3 out of 5 format does not allow for as many upsets.

In many ways the first few rounds of a major are not all that challenging for the top guys in the world.
I agree.

People often ask what Fed's most impressive record is though, and the answer is usually 17, or the QFs, as you mention.
But it isn't.

Federer's most impressive record is to have reached the finals of Grand Slam events 18 out of 19 times in a row.
For five straight years, only once did he fail to make the title match at the slams (and that one was a SF while he had mono).

The next best is like four or something.

·
23,933 Posts
As for Agassi - he just never put the time in for fitness. Same with Sampras. Nobody, since maybe Lendl really did it.
Do you think is it because to the fast courts of their time attributed to this, as they play an S&V meta game, which means possibly less taxing points and less exertion to actually focus on the fitness, unlike this year that with the metagame needing patience that fitness is a must hence enforcing a stonewall that is hard to be broken at the top?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts