Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic could learn a lot from Sampras's Career. It is a lot similar.

Both started out as Tennis prodigies and both were destined to have a great career.I was too small when Sampras started out so i cannot make out exactly his impressions in the Tennis world but from the look of things Sampras was deemed out to be something of a prodigy.

As for Djokovic, he certainly was a Young,Talented played destined for great things.

Now both of them got Grand Slam success relatively young. Sampras won USO 90 and Djokovic AO 2008. So far so good, both fulfilled their early promise. Now after that period both faded out for a good couple of years. Sampras didnt win a Slam for 3 Years. AFter US 90,his next Success was Wimbeldon 93. And in between that he made a Grand Slam Final.

Djokovic, strangely followed almost same path. He didn't win a Grand Slam for 3 years straight. His next was AO 2011.

Now here comes the deviation. While Sampras dominated the Tennis World for next 8-10 years, Djokovic has not really dominated while the Situation called for him to dominate.

So here is my point. Shouldnt Djokovic look at Sampras's Career and learn from it. Djokovic was supposed to dominate Tennis like Sampras but instead of that he goes into his Pre-2011 Mode every now and then. I mean if you see the script of Tennis History,Djokovic was supposed to dominate and cement his place as Tier-1 but he hasnt

·
6,478 Posts

Both started out as Tennis prodigies and both were destined to have a great career.I was too small when Sampras started out so i cannot make out exactly his impressions in the Tennis world but from the look of things Sampras was deemed out to be something of a prodigy.

As for Djokovic, he certainly was a Young,Talented played destined for great things.

Now both of them got Grand Slam success relatively young. Sampras won USO 90 and Djokovic AO 2008. So far so good, both fulfilled their early promise. Now after that period both faded out for a good couple of years. Sampras didnt win a Slam for 3 Years. AFter US 90,his next Success was Wimbeldon 93. And in between that he made a Grand Slam Final.

Djokovic, strangely followed almost same path. He didn't win a Grand Slam for 3 years straight. His next was AO 2011.

Now here comes the deviation. While Sampras dominated the Tennis World for next 8-10 years, Djokovic has not really dominated while the Situation called for him to dominate.

So here is my point. Shouldnt Djokovic look at Sampras's Career and learn from it. Djokovic was supposed to dominate Tennis like Sampras but instead of that he goes into his Pre-2011 Mode every now and then. I mean if you see the script of Tennis History,Djokovic was supposed to dominate and cement his place as Tier-1 but he hasnt

He couldn't follow the Sampras script, mainly because very few players can - hardly any shame in that.
Still some time to add to his resume, hopefully this year and next in particular - and maybe a couple of late consolation Slams like Agassi.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Comparison with Sampras is actually accurate. And Djokovic did dominate tennis world since 2011 as well. Differences:

No1e is much more successful on clay.
Sampras' competition was much weaker.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
He couldn't follow the Sampras script, mainly because very few players can - hardly any shame in that.
Still some time to add to his resume, hopefully this year and next in particular - and maybe a couple of late consolation Slams like Agassi.
This.
Novak is his own player, no need for comparisons IMO, the guy is fantastic as things are now.
Eight slams is huge, as is the rest of his resume (notice the WTF titles which another certain player has been unable to achieve thus far :devil: ).

Sampras is just Sampras.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts

Sampras with just 2 slams and 6 masters in career in the first half of the year AO-RG, dominated only the second part of the year Wimb-WTF i.e. we cannot even say he dominated the tennis world in that period, because he won just 5 masters in that period, but won 12 slams in 13 years (two seasons with Wimb/USO combo, eight seasons winning one of them, three seasons without slam).

He has got only one season with three slam finals but four seasons with two slam titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Sampras_career_statistics

Sampras and Nadal are similar in that regard that they've made the most titles in one half of the season only, Nadal in the first slower period AO-Wimb., Sampras in the second faster period Wimb-WTF.

Sampras-Djokovic comparison at the moment:

Sampras after 28th birthday (three seasons before his last GS win):

12 GS / 2 F
10 Masters / 7 F
5 WTF / 1 F

27 titles + 10 F

Djokovic after 28th birthday;

8 GS / 8 F
24 Masters / 10 F
4 WTF

36 titles + 18 F

If Pistol Pete had dominated the tennis world with 27 titles + 10 F, then Djoker with 9 big titles more (GS/WTF/Masters) and 8 more big finals, has been pretty close so far, I guess.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
He is going to age better. I still dont see any cracks, he should get more than 2 more GS post-28.

In fact he might get 5 or something, which would be more akin to Agassi and Federer.

He is also way more consistent than Sampras, definetly more Lendl-like.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

I'm totally baffled here. What are you suggesting he does? I'm pretty sure he's trying as hard as he can. What do you mean "look at his career and learn from it"? And do what?

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
He is going to age better. I still dont see any cracks, he should get more than 2 more GS post-28.

In fact he might get 5 or something, which would be more akin to Agassi and Federer.

Federer only won 2 slams 28 and over.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts

One never knows for sure, but what you say is very possible. The comparison with Lendl is very accurate. Like Lendl, Novak had to play prime all time greats before he reached his peak, which lowered his slam count.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
I'm totally baffled here. What are you suggesting he does? I'm pretty sure he's trying as hard as he can. What do you mean "look at his career and learn from it"? And do what?
try and get the ATP to rig another slam to massively favour him

Djokovic got the AO and plexicushion but Sampras had Wimbledon and USO to inflate his servebot tally

·
|
14,968 Posts
Djokovic's career is being completely overshadowed by Nadal/Federer.
And it will only get worse, because imagine the gigantic hype surrounding Nadal/Federer when Nadal gets to 15, 16, 17 slams etc.....
So if Djokovic is as obsessed with attention as he appears to be, then he should just retire and save himself the depression, and focus on the people who DO want him (his family, supposedly).

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And it will only get worse, because imagine the gigantic hype surrounding Nadal/Federer when Nadal gets to 15, 16, 17 slams etc.....
So if Djokovic is as obsessed with attention as he appears to be, then he should just retire and save himself the depression, and focus on the people who DO want him (his family, supposedly).
Top post

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
You can't really "plan" a career that's so heavily reliant on what your opponents do. No should Novak try. He's been doing rather decent this year :p

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Your lack of knowledge or a lack of common sense amazes me sometimes. Djokovic has created his own career playing and hanging around with both Fed and Rafito. Do you even realize how many matches these 3 played combined and how close they h2h is?

You are being ignorant if you think this is a 'top post'. It's like 2 morons complimenting one another and admiring to their own stupidity.

Djokovic has nothing to do with Sampras. Different eras, different game style. Absolutely nothing similar. Try to think before you post. I can draw some sort of a stupid parallel between any 2 players in the world ...

Failed thread. Just another stupid attempt to discredit Djokovic for no particular reason. And, yeah, I can see Rafa tards going wild. Sheesh.

Yes, I know it hurts that Djokovic is #1 and Rafito is nowhere to be found. Yeah, I'm glad you are suffering because I can be a bitch too (the smart one), :wavey:

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
There is really no need for Fedaltards to worry about Djokovic, 'cause the last time Nadal was in the same half with Djokovic at Wimb/AO/USO, Djokovic was still just slamless prodigy.

The same is true for Olderer' fans 'cause he joined his brother (in Nike) at 2012 in the opposite half from Djokovic after Djokovic' 2011, but failed to make HC finals regardless.

Of course, to help Fedal's sacred cause towards slam no.15 or 18, Djokovic will not be alone and bored in the opposite half but always with Stanimal and Nishi at AO&USO and other contenders whenever and wherever possible.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts