Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With del potro looking somewhat back to his old self is the REAL big four back?

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Rafarta&Grigorior♥;11751332 said:
um wasnt delpo's highest ranking was #5, same was soderling too.:scratch:
Del Potro and Soderling have both ranked number four. Del Potro was seeded 4th for the 2010 Australian Open (ahead of Murray) and Soderling was seeded 4th for the 2011 Australian Open (also ahead of Murray).

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
there is no Big 4. There isnt even a Big 3 these days. :eek:

·
12,691 Posts
Rafarta&Grigorior♥;11751332 said:
um wasnt delpo's highest ranking was #5, same was soderling too.:scratch:
No. His highest ranking was #4. He was the number #4 for some weeks at the start of 2010 IIRC.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As stated, del potro reached number four in the world before his wrist injury took a year from him. Without the injury it's safe to say murray would easily be knocked out of the top 4.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
:haha:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I love Juan Martin but he really has no business being included in this big four over Murray. One fluke (yes, it was :facepalm:) slam win over Federer does not negate the fact that Murray has had a lot better career results. Results are what makes a player, not what-ifs and what-mights. Delpo can claim a slam, but he still has no Masters title and has yet to follow up his slam final with another one. Murray may not have a slam, but he has a ton of other results that speak to his ranking.

·
12,691 Posts
I love Juan Martin but he really has no business being included in this big four over Murray. One fluke (yes, it was :facepalm:) slam win over Federer does not negate the fact that Murray has had a lot better career results. Results are what makes a player, not what-ifs and what-mights. Delpo can claim a slam, but he still has no Masters title and has yet to follow up his slam final with another one. Murray may not have a slam, but he has a ton of other results that speak to his ranking.
Only bitter Fedtards would say Delpo's slam win was a fluke. Fed outplayed by Delpo in that final. Get over it already.

·
Registered
205 Posts
could someone kindly tell me who this big four is? all i've seen for over a year now is a big 1. who cares if you're 4 or 104? chances are you're not winning anything.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Only bitter Fedtards would say Delpo's slam win was a fluke. Fed outplayed by Delpo in that final. Get over it already.
Been over it, but it's the truth. Don't get so uptight :baby:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its amazing how the player ( DelPo ) who is considered as a member of "BIG 4" has a horribe head-to-head against other members or pretenders for "BIG 4":against Nole 1-4 (only win is retirement,but win is a win),against Roger 2-8 ( Yes, I know,there is a win in a grandslam final in it, but also some 3 or 4 big defeats in grandslams),against Andy 1-5 ( Oh, Andy doesnt have a slam , no?),against Rafa 3-7 ( yes, there is that bombing lesson of US open 2009,I know)... So his cumulative head-to-head against them is : 7-24 ... These are facts...Head-to-Heads are just one component of course,but DelPo didnt win any Mastersseries tournament,he was in only 1 other grandslam semi apart from uS open win..I like the man very much,especially as a person,but I dont think so.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
That he outplayed him, says nothing over whether it was a fluke or not. A fluke just means it was a one time thing, and never happened again after that.

And so far it looks to be like that (although with the whole wrist injury, I don't think it's very fair to say that), but I think Dpot will return and will prove it wasn't a fluke.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Slams count
Delpo 1
Murray 0

:haha:
I'm glad you make yourself laugh. Roddick also has 1 slam- does that make him part of the real top 4 today?

Reactions: decrepitude

·
12,691 Posts
That he outplayed him, says nothing over whether it was a fluke or not. A fluke just means it was a one time thing, and never happened again after that.

And so far it looks to be like that (although with the whole wrist injury, I don't think it's very fair to say that), but I think Dpot will return and will prove it wasn't a fluke.
Come on mate, How many players did beat TWO 10+ GS champs in SF/F to win their first slam title? Did you consider Nole's 1st slam win a fluke when he disappeared after that? Does every 1st slam title considered a fluke (for players who won just one GS in their careers)?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts