Mens Tennis Forums banner

Are top tennis players nowadays better behaved than the past?

• Yes, top players nowadays are better behaved

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No, top players now are more rude and aggresive than before

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The top 10 today are more polite, but the rest of the top players are the same as before

Votes: 7 38.9%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching yesterday the Berdych Almagro match, I was suprised those things dont happen more often.

Todays top players like Federer Nadal Murray etc are all so robotic compared to the 80's guys like Macenroe, Borg etc.

Nowadays theres a controversy if Nadal says Federer doesnt have his fellow players best interest at heart.

In the 80's a controversy would be if Macenroe and another player had a bit of a push and shove at the net or if Connors said he wanted to kill another player at times. Imagine if Nadal said that these days.

Generally, people agree that people were more polite in the past, for example the tradition of Wimbledon etc, it can be seen how they call the mens singles the Gentlemans singles and so forth.

But whether its better or worse, do you agree that the top mens players nowadays are more respectful and polite than they were say 30 years ago? It seems against the trend in a lot of other sports etc.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Definitely. One of the most sportsmanlike sports out there.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
did the players from the 80's insert their finger in the...?
did they spit on court and smell own armpits?
did they try to change the rules of tennis for own glory and corruption?

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
It's just international players are less bratty than americans (of course, not true)??? Pete and Andre are very tame compared to Connors/McEnroe who are out there with self-importance (more for entertainment value). They aren't technically superior; their antics are. All me, me, me ........ egomaniacs.

But I have to say people were more colorful in those days (like in 70's, even in music, literature, movies: very liberated). It's more conservative now in some aspects.

3,728 Posts
i think sampras set the standard and everyone followed

apart from his one objectionable comment about rafter- pete was the perfect gentleman on and off the court

andre was the same as he got older

although the top 20ish guys are respectfull- you have to wonder about their sportsmanship with time wasting, medical time outs- and excessive ball bouncing

3,728 Posts
the myth that you can say what you please in hollywood has always been a stupid one

no- you can, insut religion- you can push a liberal agenda and you can insult christian values

what you can't do is promote christian values- you cannot make a case for religion in movie without being insulted- and you cannot dare mention certain lobby groups that have senators in their pockets

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
The less players like MugEnroe and Clownnors the better it is for the sport. They were a disgrace and an embarrassment, I am glad tennis is all class now with guys like Nadal, Olderer and Novak at the top :yeah:

Roddick is another disagreeable yank, but he's a mug so nobody has paid much attention to him. :lol:

3,728 Posts
@topspin doc

yes, but there is a line you have to draw between charisma and douchebagery

steve jobs for example- total douche- but oozed charisma

roddick is similar- very charismatic

on the flip side- everyone called pete boring- when he was a total gentleman- very respectful on court- didnt even celebrate too much- pure class act

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The guys from the 70s and 80s were more colourful; kinda like pro wrestling – you cheer heavily for one and boo the other. Guys today certainly "appear" more gentlemanly but I believe players are just more guarded on court and in interviews. If players from the 70s and 80s threw a tantrum, not very many people will see it live, and you'll probably have one video of it. If guys did that today, it'll be in the news and on youtube instantly and forever. So, they have to be careful – a bad image can cost millions in lost endorsement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts