Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The special one
14,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The yanks are hopeless at tennis at the moment and with the football team doing well at the wc is it more popular than tennis can someone from across the pond tell me if the wc is getting more tv coverage than wimbledon

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
No, football/soccer is definitely more popular, both to watch and to play. And of course the WC is getting more coverage, delete thread, ban OP.
UT speaking the truth as usual.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
soccer by a mile
I don't think they're that far apart. Tons of people play tennis or have a general interest. Gauging soccer levels during the WC is a bit unfair. When the WC isn't going on, no one cares.

And yes lots of people play soccer but mostly children who haven't moved onto other sports yet. And a lot of the "popularity" is just media hype pushed by E!SPN.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Momentarily soccer.
But it is also a team sport and a lot of Americans love their team sports, rather than the "dull and boring" individual sports.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I don't think they're that far apart. Tons of people play tennis or have a general interest. Gauging soccer levels during the WC is a bit unfair. When the WC isn't going on, no one cares.

And yes lots of people play soccer but mostly children who haven't moved onto other sports yet. And a lot of the "popularity" is just media hype pushed by E!SPN.
older people and middle aged people do play tennis a lot more but I find that their is a big disconnect in the USA between those who play and those who follow it at the pro level. Like many many Americans play tennis with having no interest in the pros at all. Which isn't the case in every other sport

·
Registered
623 Posts
WC at the moment, no contest. US Open always focuses attention back on tennis though. Good time for me though, my two favorite sports.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
lol no not even close

tennis is even below the likes of drag racing in the USA

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I'm curious about this. Had Soccer a big popularity growth in the last 3/4 years in the USA? They sure are investing a lot of money in it.
When I visited New York I was surprised about the quality and quantity of public soccer fields, considering the popularity of it compared to Basketball, baseball, etc.
Better than the ones here in Portugal, and here sports is all about soccer :lol:

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
lol no not even close

thats going the other extreme. No way fringe things like drag racing are ahead of tennis in the isa

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I've never seen more than a few minutes of any soccer match, but I have completely dove in head first into this WC mania. I've seen at least 5 full matches :cool:

It's definitely more popular than tennis here....especially since the U.S. is still in it. I see a lot of FB posts from my friends about the WC, whereas I rarely if ever see any about tennis.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
lol no not even close

This. Tennis is way down on the list. Even the Master's Series events in the States don't get shown on TV outside of the SFs and finals. They've even not shown the first set of a USO final before due to regular season NFL games running late, and will routinely delay the start of the finals for a late game to finish.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is a list of the most popular sports in america. Its pretty much 100% accurate and puts soccer at 5 and tennis at 6.

http://sporteology.com/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-america/

1.) American Football
2.) Baseball
3.) Basketball

4.) Hockey

5.) Soccer
6.) Tennis
7.) Golf
8.) Wrestling (lol)

It varies slightly on where you live though. Here in Maryland, lacrosse is pretty big.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I'm curious about this. Had Soccer a big popularity growth in the last 3/4 years in the USA? They sure are investing a lot of money in it.
When I visited New York I was surprised about the quality and quantity of public soccer fields, considering the popularity of it compared to Basketball, baseball, etc.
Better than the ones here in Portugal, and here sports is all about soccer :lol:
It's "popular" in the sense that lots of kids play it and there are fields everywhere, but very few people continue to play soccer into their teens and almost no one actually follows professional soccer. The World Cup does get attention. Main thing is that ESPN is shoving it down our throats 24/7 because they want it to get big.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
This. Tennis is way down on the list. Even the Master's Series events in the States don't get shown on TV outside of the SFs and finals. They've even not shown the first set of a USO final before due to regular season NFL games running late, and will routinely delay the start of the finals for a late game to finish.
as opposed to all the drag racing that gets prime ESPN coverage? Yeah ok tennis is not NFL level obviously but its also absurd to suggest tennis is at the level or drag racing or sumo wrestling or something which I have seen comparisons of before.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Here is a list of the most popular sports in america. Its pretty much 100% accurate and puts soccer at 5 and tennis at 6.

http://sporteology.com/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-america/

1.) American Football
2.) Baseball
3.) Basketball

4.) Hockey

5.) Soccer
6.) Tennis
7.) Golf
8.) Wrestling (lol)

It varies slightly on where you live though. Here in Maryland, lacrosse is pretty big.
And in the midwest (ie Cincinnati), NASCAR is huge. I wonder if golf actually outranks tennis in the US — certainly overall amongst an older demo but both sports attract an older demo in the States.

I don't know how popular soccer is generally, but this World Cup is huge right now in the US. Bars in Brooklyn are flooded. And it ain't for Wimbledon, and it ain't always for US games either.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
One thing I don't get is why people are so obsessed over the popularity of soccer in the US. We don't care if Europe plays baseball :shrug:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Is there a country in the world where tennis is more popular than soccer?
the only one could be the US, hence the question.

But it obviously isn't.

Besides, it's a way different sport to compare.

No home team to attend games every second week end and be real fan of.

It's incomparable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts