Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching today's final between Djokovic and Nadal, we saw Djokovic falling to the ground after a missed shot. He laughed when he got up but I'm starting to think we could see them play to death if this trend continues.

It was already a hard sport since you have to play under heavy conditions (35ºC ++, humidity, scorching sun etc. ) but this is getting out of hand.

The slowing of the courts has a great deal to do with it, but it's also the the players, like Nadal and Djokovic after him, that have raised the bar. Let's not forget Isner and Mahut either.

I mean, I'm amazed by how these guys are able to push it physically, but is it good for the sport? Is it good for THEM?

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
No it is certainly NOT good for them. This i sick. After the match I was so worried Nole would faint before his speech. They have to speed up the courts. This is ridiculous for the players even if it is fun stuff for new tennis fans who have never seen volleying before.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
Tennis is just like the players and ATP making it . everybody are getting what they want, tournament directors and crowd getting amazing rallies and matches and the players have to appreciate that because 95% of today's players would be useless in different conditions

·
Banned
4,017 Posts
If a player doesn't feel well, he simply retires. But I agree overall: tennis is slowly killing players, but it's their fault. They should play less, and they will have better results.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The longer the matches the better for sponsors. Thats the reason for it.

And yes its ridiculous. Its ok to have these types of matches on clay, because the surface is soft and easy on the joints, but on a hardcourt its very dangerous physically.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I agree with you. Slowing the courts down is taking a lot out of players. The court speeds of 4 years ago were fine. The 90s were too fast and now they are too slow.

·
Registered
20,221 Posts
this is not the reason I started to watch and eventually loved tennis, if this was tennis I'd rather follow marathons, wrestling and boxing, the tennis I enjoy is tactical and technical mastery with reasonable displays of will and endurance, not animalistic primal running, screaming and pushing to limits

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
this is not the reason I started to watch and eventually loved tennis, if this was tennis I'd rather follow marathons, wrestling and boxing, the tennis I enjoy is tactical and technical mastery with reasonable displays of will and endurance, not animalistic primal running, screaming and pushing to limits
:haha: brilliant post.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Tennis is just like the players and ATP making it . everybody are getting what they want, tournament directors and crowd getting amazing rallies and matches and the players have to appreciate that because 95% of today's players would be useless in different conditions
And thus Federer would rightfully dominate without real competition

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Defensive tennis is boring.

Rafa just moon balls it back in (or the occasional slice on BH), and then its on Djokers racket.

Six hours of this same crap. :-/

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regardless of the aesthetics which some will find pleasing and others repulsive, I really can't say this is a good thing. It actually worries me.

Reactions: Allez

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Hardcourts should play much faster than they do today. Playing matches like these is clearly not what the body wants hence both players almost falling over during the ceremony speeches.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Australian Open should be called French Open 2.0

Disgraceful how slow the balls and court are.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I actualy believe courts were slowed down with an aim to destroy Federer's dominance. If all the courts remained as they were, Fed would already had 20+ slams and Nadal would not achieve all court status nor would be considered Fed's rival.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actualy believe courts were slowed down with an aim to destroy Federer's dominance. If all the courts remained as they were, Fed would already had 20+ slams and Nadal would not achieve all court status nor would be considered Fed's rival.
I guess they felt tennis was boring that way.

To me, this new era is far more interesting though it creates a real concern for the effects on player health.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Defensive tennis is boring.

Rafa just moon balls it back in (or the occasional slice on BH), and then its on Djokers racket.

Six hours of this same crap. :-/
To be fair, you do get the occasional Nadal forehand down the line. But otherwise, spot on.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Today´s match would be entertaining if it was played on clay.

But it was played on a hardcourt and that´s scary. So long for the joints of those two fellows.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts