Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, Federer has improved but is it due to Edberg??

1- Going more to the net. (Edberg)
2- Serve. (Edberg/ raquet/ injury free)
3- BH. (Edberg/ raquet)

But where is Fed aggression from the baseline? And why isn't Fed playing his super potent BH slice?? In the natch, whenever he used the slice, he mostly won the points. And when he started playing more aggressive he turned the match in the 4th.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Re: Is Stephan Edberg a good coach for Federer?

I don't know. His forehand was crap today. Is Edberg responsible for that too? What happened to his forehand? It felt like he didn't have a forehand today

·
Registered
5,670 Posts

Yes, Federer has improved but is it due to Edberg??

1- Going more to the net. (Edberg)
2- Serve. (Edberg/ raquet/ injury free)
3- BH. (Edberg/ raquet)

But where is Fed aggression from the baseline? And why isn't Fed playing his super potent BH slice?? In the natch, whenever he used the slice, he mostly won the points. And when he started playing more aggressive he turned the match in the 4th.
This baffles me too.

At one point in the match there was a Djokovic shot that landed on the double alley, Federer hit one of the sickest slice i have seen from it. Why he doesn't use it more is beyond me, maybe this is a confidence thing, hitting a great slice is probably one of the hardest shot to hit and a very low % shot.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,194 Posts

I think their partnership is healthy. Stefan has steadied Roger's ship a bit. At least we're not seeing the horror shows from 2013 anymore. There's not much Stefan can do at this point; help him a bit at the net but that's all. Nole today was very sharp with his passing shots, there was not much Fed could have done.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts

I think their partnership is healthy. Stefan has steadied Roger's ship a bit. At least we're not seeing the horror shows from 2013 anymore. There's not much Stefan can do at this point; help him a bit at the net but that's all. Nole today was very sharp with his passing shots, there was not much Fed could have done.
Hit better approach shots. Of course Djokovic can hit great passing shots but today he was offering him shots without depth or angle to hit the pass. Actually except when he was down a break Federer kept playing not lose the point and played some way too safe shots while when he needed to break back at 3-5 for example there was a point where he hit 3 lines. And in those points he attacked with the backhand instead of slicing it again and again.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

There is nothing that Edberg can teach Fed. Nothing that Becker can teach Nole ... they are there for some moral support and it's a good thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This baffles me too.

At one point in the match there was a Djokovic shot that landed on the double alley, Federer hit one of the sickest slice i have seen from it. Why he doesn't use it more is beyond me, maybe this is a confidence thing, hitting a great slice is probably one of the hardest shot to hit and a very low % shot.
No, it's not about confidence. Federer is super confident in his slice BH. But it seems that Edberg doesn't want him to use it that often.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

I wonder how much has Edberg really improved Federer. He has been playing well but the titles are missing. How much is Edberg really helpful for Federer? IMO, He could have done without him.

·
Registered
21,281 Posts

I wonder how much has Edberg really improved Federer. He has been playing well but the titles are missing. How much is Edberg really helpful for Federer? IMO, He could have done without him.
He won 10 titles under him, so titles under Edberg aren't missing. Unless you meant on slams.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Olderer won nothing more than before Edberg : always the same old Halle, Dubai, Cincy.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Federer has probably played his best tennis this year since 2010.
so Edberg is a good coach for him

·
Registered
74 Posts

Where are the Slams? Going to Djokovic - the best player in the world at the moment.

The coach can only do so much - but it Djoker deals with Federer's game there is a limit to what you can do.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

Yes, Slams.
edberg trained a federer who was in his 33 and 34 years old......

is not the same be the coach of a player at that age, than if he would coach federer at 25-28 years old.

federer´s foreahd shit is not for edberg.....IS FOR THE NEW RACKET, HE LOSE CONTROL AND ANGLES WITH THE NEW RACKET.

his forehand goes to much for the middle of the courts-

that is the key for his loses against nole outside very faster courts, with the old racket he could moves nole for all the court using his old forehand, now his forehand goes to the middle of the court and can´t break novak´s defense like before.

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts

Thanks to Edberg, Federer is able to play at full potential. There is nothing more Edberg can do, sometimes you just have to pray the guy on the other side of the net is having a bad day. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Edberg is great coach for Federer, much better than Annacone and others before him
Between Wimbledon and US Open he has played some of the best tennis of his career

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

i thought annacone was all about aggressive tennis, too.

what are the main differences between annacone and edberg in terms of coaching philosophy?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Edberg is great, but I think a coach with a more all-court game philosophy could be better. I believe Fed can play better from the baseline than he often does now -- a net game and serve will only get you so far against the very best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts