Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I caught bits of Sandgren-FAA, Raonic-Evans, Struff-Shapo, Murray-Zverev and Joker-Berankis (and the Serena match on the women's side). With the exception of the Raonic-Evans match, which was decent quality, I don't think I've ever seen such poor tennis at this level.

Early rust is to be expected after the long lay-off, but the problem is that we don't have much time. The USO begins next week, actual BO5 matches featuring players who don't at all look ready.

After the winter break every year, we're used to players feeling for form, but we never really see the amateurish level on display yesterday.

Is there enough time for players to ramp up their level? Or are we facing 3 weeks of this dog-dirt tennis?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There has been some pretty awful level of tennis in almost all matches, but luckily we've also seen some better moments, even excellent ones, in most of them.

This was all entirely to be expected, in my opinion. And the schedule, i.e. USO taking place right after this 'short Cincy practice week', will not help things at all.

So far I've myself just been awfully glad to have the tour back, no matter how rusty the players are. I've stayed up watching almost all of the matches.

And this kind of level can't last for that long, unless they are forced to suspend the tour again at some stage, which unfortunately might happen, considering what the situation looks like with the virus in Europe at the moment.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
No because you have to keep in mind how long they were off. Most of these guys played some sort of exhibition somewhere but most of those were in a shortened format. They didnt have any real time to get back into shape. It's probably going to take longer than usual to get to a high level again. Also keep in mind this court is pretty fast so time to adjust there too

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
womens matches have been pretty decent so far tho...

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Not at all. Murray is back playing and seems fit and healthy. Tennis is in safe hands now.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
do you watch tennis in Australia at the start of the season?? if yes you don't have toask the question LMAO

and also most them are rattled by Covid so they are adjusting with their new routines... e.g. travelling with only 2 people with you and stuck in the bubble.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sandgren - FAA was in parts so bad I could hardly believe it. I thought Shapo - Struff was pretty good quality even though I didn't like the result. But it was windy all day and that usually spoils good tennis.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
do you watch tennis in Australia at the start of the season?? if yes you don't have toask the question LMAO

and also most them are rattled by Covid so they are adjusting with their new routines... e.g. travelling with only 2 people with you and stuck in the bubble.
as said winter breaks are only 2,5 months

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Rusty players on a fast surface.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yeah I watched 4 matches and almost all of them featured subpar play(the last few games of zverev-Murray after 4-4 being the worst).

It'll get better hopefully

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Shapo trained hard in April and May in Bradenton with Youzhny, a lot of players never stopped working. Some did, or said they did. I think the atmosphere is also impacting play, no fans, no energy, no adrenaline, it's a weird vibe to play in empty arenas. Still the quality of play looks fine to me, some bad shots, some chokes in pressure moments but that's to be expected. Most players are not match tough right now, it's the first real tournament back.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
758 Posts
It's better than I anticipated.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Pretty good standard considering the length of time since the last pro tournament. Six months off for any professional sports player is bad even with the odd few exhibitions.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
It was bad but not concerning cause it’s entirely expected considering they haven’t been competitive in like 6 months and aren’t match tough atm. It’ll get better soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts