Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is he going to play around and let Pete win a set or two? I just see this as a difficult situation for Roger, if he is in god mode or even average mode he can own sampras quite easily as pete's style matches Roger's perfectly but I doubt Roger will beat him so badly, maybe even let him win one of the matches

·
Registered
53 Posts
What day is the match??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ofcourse, Pete will win atleast one of the matches. These are exhibition matches, they do everything they can to make them interesting. There should be quite a few tie-breaks involved too...

·
Ace Loveforty
83,412 Posts
when's the last time someone has given it all in an exhibition?

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Third set TB would not be a surprise and if Roger tried like a competative match against any player whose been retired for 5 years he would beat them handily and that goes for Sampras too.

It's an exho, it will be fun, it means nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If Pete feels he can compete with Roger in three consecutive matches why doesn't he accept a wild card for Wimbledon?
Maybe he can somehow arrange to be very close to Roger in the main draw (second round would be ideal).
If he wins... oh my....

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
This is the TRUE YEC....

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
He'll not give his best. He'll give whatever he needs to keep it close but still win.

I'll be impressed if the level is decent. It's a lot to ask of a retired 36 year old to hang with the current no. 1.

But he says he can do it, so we'll see.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
If Pete feels he can compete with Roger in three consecutive matches why doesn't he accept a wild card for Wimbledon?
Maybe he can somehow arrange to be very close to Roger in the main draw (second round would be ideal).
If he wins... oh my....
Come off it. Sampras would probably be top 100 if he came back but top 50 would be stretch and anything ruther is fanciful. In a competative match any top 40 player would beat Sampras on at least two of the three main surfaces (some players are basically useless on clay or grass).

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
I think Roger will do the exact amount he needs to do to win all of these exos. If he loses them, the haters will say 'see, he's not the greatest' and if he wins them perhaps they will all shut up. I'm sure they will be entertaining and competitive to a point, but I don't think Roger is going to lose them.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Roddick, Kooyong. :lol:
I laughed.

Well it's a lose-lose situation for Roger. It would be humiliating if he (or any active player) loses to a person retired for 5 years now.

If he wins the matches noone will think he is better than Sampras because of that, and journalists tend to make it all worse hahaha.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I laughed.

Well it's a lose-lose situation for Roger. It would be humiliating if he (or any active player) loses to a person retired for 5 years now.

If he wins the matches noone will think he is better than Sampras because of that, and journalists tend to make it all worse hahaha.
Yeah...
I think the same!!:D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All matches will be close and Roger will job a match to Samprass.
Like I said before, they still have to sell that exhibition match in Madison Square next year. I hope Roger is well prepared for the inevitable backlash.

Somehow I can't picture Samprass doing this, say if Samp is 26 while Roger is 36.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts