Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is Andy Roddick finally stepping up and stopping his fear of facing top players in tournaments? Because in the last two tournaments he played - San Jose and Memphis - there were no top players except for Blake! But playing the Duai Championship really served well for Andy, and paid off too! He beat two of the best players, and maybe even got lucky that Federer hasn't been feeling that good too! Will he win Indian Wells though?

Check this article and let the comments begin!

Yours,

Kirin

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
i dont think he'll go far in IW/Miami. there's alot of players who are more motivated atm .

he'll just deflate if u ask me :)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
^^ :cuckoo:

·
Registered
4 Posts
While I have a lot more confidence in Roddick doing well now, I still have a hard time seeing him beat the likes of Djokovic and Nadal twice in a row. There's no question if he keeps playing the way he has, he's a definite threat to go far...especially if the courts are playing wicked fast.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There's no question he stepped his game up at Dubai. Whether he continues in that form is an entirely different concern which only time will tell, thus useless to predict.

But I'm guessing the split with Connors will do him more good than bad... Actually, perhaps it already did..

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts
Roddick's been playing well, but I think he needs to accomplish one of two things in order to "step up":

1. Beat (a healthy) Roger anywhere.
2. Win a GS, regardless of whether he beats Roger in the process.

Accomplishing either won of those things would be a breakthrough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was a one tournament step-up. But it was a display of good tennis. But as many of you have said, I really don't think Andy will do much more than advancing a few rounds in major tournaments. No GS titles for him this year. 2 for Federer and 1 for Nadal. Guess which ones are those?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't think he has a 'fear' of the Top10 players. It's just most of the time, the Top10 players beat Andy but I don't think he ever feared those guys.

At any rate, props to him! Hope he keeps it up! :worship:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
we'll see...but it would be nice to see him finally make some REAL progress.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Since losing to Kohli at the AO, he's had a 13-1 match record (including the 5-set win over Melzer). He had to tank against the Toad but otherwise it's been a perfect effort.

But he hasn't done anything more than set himself up for the big events. He won't deserve all the hype he's getting unless he follows through in IW and Miami.

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
Its about time roddick got the praise he deserved, everyone thought nadal and novak would out rally him when in fact andy outrallied them by 2 more levels.

He isnt a only serve player, he can become great if really wants too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hmmm... Not sure. I'll get back to you in a month after IW & Miami! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts