Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
If Federer loses to Ferrer ... ever, it's time to retire. It's like fire getting extinguished by a fart. It just doesn't happen in real life unless you visit Burger King too often and consume a ton of Amazonian onion. Just saying that it's not likely at all

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
If Federer loses to Ferrer ... ever, it's time to retire. It's like fire getting extinguished by a fart. It just doesn't happen in real life unless you visit Burger King too often and consume a ton of Amazonian onion. Just saying that it's not likely at all
:rolls:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,341 Posts
I have to admit Roger's clean record 16-0 against Ferrer is just remarkable, and that shows the class difference between the two. Federer tends not to play the way Ferrer wants. He will use variation with slices and approach the net at convenient times. Not to say that Ferrer can't match Federer at all, he almost bagelled Federer at Cincinnati F 2014 2nd set. However, in the long run Federer tends to find a way out of those situations.

Still Ferrer's kept the scorelines respectable and has had some tighter three setters with him. They've only played 5 times on clay.
Although I don't find Ferrer's game appealing, it wouldn't be a huge shock to beat Federer at RG on clay, given Tsonga and Gulbis have done it. Still a tough task!

I find this funny because Ferrer joked in his runner-up speech after his 16th loss to Federer at Cincy that he'll one day beat Federer on the senior's tour (i.e. when they have both retired). :lol:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I have to admit Roger's clean record 16-0 against Ferrer is just remarkable, and that shows the class difference between the two. Federer tends not to play the way Ferrer wants. He will use variation with slices and approach the net at convenient times. Not to say that Ferrer can't match Federer at all, he almost bagelled Federer at Cincinnati F 2014 2nd set. However, in the long run Federer tends to find a way out of those situations.

Still Ferrer's kept the scorelines respectable and has had some tighter three setters with him. They've only played 5 times on clay.
Although I don't find Ferrer's game appealing, it wouldn't be a huge shock to beat Federer at RG on clay, given Tsonga and Gulbis have done it. Still a tough task!

I find this funny because Ferrer joked in his runner-up speech after his 16th loss to Federer at Cincy that he'll one day beat Federer on the senior's tour (i.e. when they have both retired). :lol:
Nah... he just needs to play Federer at MSG like Dimitrov ... Heck, Dimitrov has taken that win seriously ....

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
You maybe have not got Fed and Edberg interviews last year. With other words they said FO is not a priority for Federer and you all know why. Fed said that is the battle ground of Nadal and he does not see why he needs to get to F of FO just to play the same guy for years. How many F' he needs make and why?! Just to be beaten by Nadal?! And media to have a story ?! Federer again failed to King of the clay!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
:haha:

As I recall, Ferrer has pushed him pretty close a few times recently. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrer gets him one of these days on the clay. Or even on hardcourt if Fed has one of those really bad days where he moves like an old man. 2013 would've been a great opportunity but they didn't play. Problem is, you know Ferrer would choke at an unbelievable level if he was, say, a break up on Fed in the final set.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,341 Posts
Nah... he just needs to play Federer at MSG like Dimitrov ... Heck, Dimitrov has taken that win seriously ....
Say that actually happened. Would you count that as a 'real' victory?
Remember Dimitrov needed a kid to help him win it ;)
Still at some pt, you wonder whether Federer would give Ferrer a victory out of 'sympathy' (I hate to say it like that), having lost to considerably lower ranked players before such as Delbonis, Benneteau and Brands in 2013.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Say that actually happened. Would you count that as a 'real' victory?
Remember Dimitrov needed a kid to help him win it ;)
Still at some pt, you wonder whether Federer would give Ferrer a victory out of 'sympathy' (I hate to say it like that), having lost to considerably lower ranked players before such as Delbonis, Benneteau and Brands in 2013.
Nah. I doubt it. If Ferrer gets a win, it's for some other reason... Those players have all had something to trouble Roger or caught him on a bad day. Ferrer has caught Roger on a bad day... taken sets and still failed to win a match. It's tough

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Roger and Ferrer have met 16 times. Just one match out of this was a Best of 5 one - 2007 TMC final.

Out of the 19 matches against Djokovic were 5 matches at a GS (which were all won by Novak) and one DC match over Best of 5 which Ferrer won.

Ferrer and Nadal played 29 times against each other and met 6 times during a GS. Rafa leads 4:2 here.

That clearly proves that Ferrer is mainly in other sections of the draw than Roger.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Roger and Ferrer have met 16 times. Just one match out of this was a Best of 5 one - 2007 TMC final.

Out of the 19 matches against Djokovic were 5 matches at a GS (which were all won by Novak) and one DC match over Best of 5 which Ferrer won.

Ferrer and Nadal played 29 times against each other and met 6 times during a GS. Rafa leads 4:2 here.

That clearly proves that Ferrer is mainly in other sections of the draw than Roger.
Does not matter. You can't dispute 0 wins out of 16 or however many matches against Roger. Federer is just a bad bad match up for Ferrer. Like I said ... it's like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. It does not work for Ferrer.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think that Ferrer is cursed to never meet Declinerer. I think he would have probably beaten Fed if they met in mid 2013 (like in that French Open), but he didn't get to meet Federer until he himself was in decline and Fed was back in vogue.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Who has Federer lost to on clay since 2013 where we can definitely assume he has declined on this surface?

Nishikori, Nadal, Tsonga, Wawrinka, Chardy, Gulbis

Notice a pattern there? All of these players are clean shotmakers/power baseliners that is capable of blowing Federer of the court because of his declined movement.

Ferrer is not and consistent shotmaking on clay will not work in Bo5. In fact, Ferrer has a better chance of winning in Bo3 since he's giving Federer more time to get his rhythm in longer matches.

·
|
15,353 Posts
Ferrer beat Nadal last year at Monte Carlo in straight sets.
Ferrer lost to Nadal at Monte Carlo this year and today lost in semis of Barcelona to a guy he's never lost to.
So I think Ferrer was better last year.
No sign he'll beat Federer.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I think that Ferrer is cursed to never meet Declinerer. I think he would have probably beaten Fed if they met in mid 2013 (like in that French Open), but he didn't get to meet Federer until he himself was in decline and Fed was back in vogue.
Not true. Federer has played some crappy matches against Ferrer that I thought he'd lose and still won. Ferrer just does not have the game and belief to beat Roger. He has beaten all other top players I can remember though.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Ferrer can stick to grinding down Fossil.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts