Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Raonic the new Vulture?

• Yes

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • The term Vulture is meaningless

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Who cares? But I can't stand watching Raonic.

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ferrer was always (often unfairly) disparaged as a player who only climbed to the top of the rankings by beating lesser players and winning smaller tournaments, and never making an impression on the top guys. In fact, Ferrer has better than average records against the everyone ranked above him other than against Fed. The same is not true of Raonic, as vividly illustrated today.

So is Raonic the new Vulture?

Discuss.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Milos is guaranted to finish as either the winner or the runner-up of the US Open Series and he's only beaten one top 30 player in three tournaments (clown/injured Fognini).

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Absolutely. He's a 10-20 rank player who is just ridiculously consistent at beating lower ranked players. The statistics tell the truth. The only top ten player he's beaten all year is a subpar Murray.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Ferrer's game is more appealing than Raonic's

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Ferrer wasn't even in the top 40 when he was Milos' age, FYI.
Yep because he was in the top 20 :wavey: and to the question Raonic isn't a vulture he does well in Masters/Slams due to draws opening up everytime, the likes of Ferrer enter a 250 when the 2nd seed in ranked about 20 places below that's vulturing

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ehhhh....vulturing. What a pointless topic. If Raonic is really as bad as everyone seems to insist, then it'll inevitably catch up to him in the future when he encounters tougher draws. For now, you can't blame Raonic for having his draws open up, that isn't his fault. He can only play the guy in front of him, and he's been (for the most part) incredibly consistent, so that should be rewarded.

Compare that to Dimitrov (who loses R1 to Karlovic on clay) Thiem (who hasn't done jack since Kitzbuhel) Kyrgios (who's mugged around since Wimbledon) Goffin (challenger hoarder) Dolgopolov (1 good tournament per year) Nishikori (always injured).

Consistency is highly valued in this game, as well it should be. I don't like his game at all, but he's a deserved number 6. That's just how the rankings work, if you don't like it, complain to the ATP. I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear from you. :)

·
6,246 Posts
Don't see him entering too many 250s, unlike Dimitrov who still does, and won Citi Open 500 in Washington along with Semi finals in 2 Masters and last 2 Majors.
That's hardly vulturing, his points have been earned in harder tournaments.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Milos has too many limitations that are beyond repair, which means that his potential for further improvement is very much limited. I fear that he will never be more than a top 10 regular, just like Ferrer or Berdych... his movement, touch, and return of service are simply too poor and will always be, mostly constrained by his physical stature and his swings. This means that he will have a very difficult time breaking serve and will have to play lots of tiebreaks... and no matter how good your serve game is, you ain't winning more than about 65% of them...

And no, he is not a vulture, he just got lucky with a few draws(his only top 10 win this season is vs Murray). To be a vulture you need to play lots of small tournaments(at least 5-6 250s) and win most of them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Milos is not.Ferrer is a much more boring player and a true vulture.:wavey:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Vulture is a harsh term for Milos. He has his flaws that are exploited by the top echelon of players but the reason it keeps been mentioned and noticed is because he is prepared to constantly put himself up against the best and consistently makes it deep in good tournaments unlike others.

So Vulture...no.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Such a stupid term and label. I don't like Raonic but faulting him for beating players he should beat is stupid. Should he get a bit more spicy like Gulbis and lose to Haider-Maurer in the first round sometimes?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
God I love seeing the insecure Milos tards lose it! :spit:

They're by far the most insecure fanbase! Not that it's unjustified mind you, he's basically the worst thing to happen to tennis since Dull, without the results to gather at least some gloryhunters! :spit:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts