Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering today’s performance how would you rate Novak vs Nadal in terms of overall greatness. If Djokovic wins the French then surely he overtakes Nadals career, even if he is 1 slam behind

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
No, since greatness is about GS titles/finals only, I guess.

So, Nadal is still greater, but Djokovic (despite being one year younger) could already be considered overall a slightly more accomplished/successful player, in terms of big titles (slams + WTFs + masters) and weeks & seasons as no.1.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Nadal is greater on clay, Novak outside of it. It will stay that way forever.
Yep, Nadal is clearly CC Goat, Federer GC Goat (8 slams + three finals, despite Wimb. being the only grass slam during his career), whereas Djokovic still needs a couple of HC slams more to steal HC goathood from Roger, otherwise it would be the case of HC co-goating (five years younger Djokovic has already won more HC Masters+WTF titles) .

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
He's only behind him because of clay and of how early Nadal blossomed as a full-time pro. Looking at their achievements (weeks at #1 and titles indoors more specifically), Djokovic is clearly ahead, except for the number of slams.

He's also got the better all-round game, most notably the serve which is a key shot in tennis, which has allowed him to win more across different conditions.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
He already was. Holding all 4 slams at one time, an achievement that he doesn't get nearly enough credit for, more than makes up for Nadal's slim total slam lead.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Yep, Nadal is clearly CC Goat, Federer GC Goat (8 slams + three finals, despite Wimb. being the only grass slam during his career), whereas Djokovic still needs a couple of HC slams more to steal HC goathood from Roger, otherwise it would be the case of HC co-goating (five years younger Djokovic has already won more HC Masters+WTF titles) .
I don't care much about GOAT debate (for me personally Novak is already the greatest), but no matter what finite number of GS titles any of big 3 retires with, it will eventually be surpassed. Nadal's 11 RG titles (and counting :scared:) will be hardest to overcome imo.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This GOAT debate is pointless.

Rafa, Roger, and Novak will FOREVER be spoken about in the same sentence (for any non-tard tennis fan....)

Do y'all really think two of them will fade into ignominy in the history books and that we will only talk about the third?

This stupid GOAT debate tears apart the forum...

Djo, Rafa, Roger will be entangled in the history books FOREVER. If not for two of them, the third would already have 20+ slams. No matter which two you pick to have never existed, the third would end of with far more slams then they have now. They are not independent tennis players.

Novak is not "greater" because he can't beat Rafa at RG consistently. Rafa is not greater because he can't beat the other two on Hard courts. Do you understand now?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
They are very close but Novak hasn't surpassed Rafa yet. The Spaniard has an advantage of 2 GS and 1 OG but Djoker has 5 WTF titles, NCYGS and better ranking stats. Their achievements are comparable and their H2H is very close so none of them should be regarded as definitely greater than the other.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The short answer is yes, the long answer is hell yeah. Rafa is only superior (by a somewhat considerable margin) on clay, but Novak is still one of the greatest clay players ever, Roger as well.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
no, 17 still is more than 15.
if anything this slam tourney proved for sure tho: all of fed, rafa and nole are now head and shoulders above anyone else past and present, and their era could as well go down as the very best in tennis history. and i'm not even sure how this could possibly be eclipsed in the years and decades to come.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
It's very close, again similar to how it was in 2016 when Nadal was at 14 and Djokovic at 12. Maybe a slight edge still to Nadal, but if Djokovic wins one more (especially RG this year) then Djokovic is definitely ahead.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quantity is one parameter but quality & variety r others. One more USO & another AO eclipses Fed's HC tally & i'm pretty sure at this point, he's got better chance over Fed to accomplish these.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I's say not but I think he will have more opportunities to address that than Rafa will, not much difference in their age but one, Rafa, is much higher mileage.

Would agree in part with the poster above who says these 3 will always be talked about in the same breath, albeit I disagree that you could or should ever stop the GOAT debate- it's actually fun if it's not done spitefully and with due respect for the merits of these threee champions.

Of course, there is still a chance, albeit slim, that Novak could put that idea to sleep by playing for another 3-4 years and winning another 10 slams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Relatively off topic, but I find this interesting.
For nine years and a half, Djokovic has a h2h count against Nadal of 24 to 11 (with three exceptions (QF of French15 and Rome16, then Doha16 final), all those matches were GS or Master semi or final). By the way, on clay over this period, it's 7 to 7.
From their beginnings it's 28 to 25, also in interesting way, without their first three years of matches on clay (prior to summer 2009), the account would be of 28 to 16.
Of course those facts are biased, purposely, IMO they give an interesting idea of the evolutions of their specific duel.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
2 slams behind and lacking an Olympic Gold.

Djokovic does have the WTF wins and more weeks at #1.

it's close but I'd still put Nadal ahead at this point. at 16 slams Djokovic would definitely be at least even with him though, and if they had the same amount of slams Djokovic would certainly be ahead due to the weeks at #1 and YEC wins.

frankly huge pressure on Nadal now, he desperately needs to win another non clay slam to balance things out and at MINIMUM needs to win 1 slam this year to maintain a lead on Djokovic. Hard not seeing Djokovic win another slam this year and that point there'd be only 1 slam difference

1 - 20 of 21 Posts