Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highly succesful on second tier tournaments (m1000) and ending with a negative resume on slam finals...

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
And they're both from Yugoslavia. It is a good comparison, I can see it.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
LOL..Butthurt from blueclay is growing...
Novak still has a lot of years left in Tennis and will win many more slams. But talking about achievements atm, Djokovic is not even close to Lendl.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Djokovic won't win 8 slams and won't get 200+ weeks at no1.
I mean because he seems to be considerally more succesful winning second tier titles, but on first tier titles (GS) he seems to struggle often on finals..

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
if he were to lose a few more finals in the next year or two and win only like one more then the comparisons would make sense

but Lendl is a hugely underrated player, he has an amazing resume. the weeks at #1, overall titles, H2H with a lot of his contemporaries

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm far too young to remember Lendl playing, but I always wondered whether was he such a enormous choker or got simply outplayed numerous times in slam finals by equally great guys on a given day.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Wouldn't Murray be the new Lendl then? Djokovic's record in slam finals ins't negative.
If Murray in the remaining 4/5 decent years of his career secures another 6 GS, 250 Weeks at no.1 multiple WTFs and an extra 50 titles I will ritual suicide with Mooza, Sapeod and MuzzahLovah (others are welcome to join)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
And they're both from Yugoslavia. It is a good comparison, I can see it.
Wrong Slavia, Lendl is from Czech. Lendl's overall record: 94 tournament wins, YE @ #1, weeks @ #1, Masters titles, YE titles, is superior to most. He played in a Very Tough era. First he had Borg, Connors and McEnroe to contend with. Then he had Becker and Edberg, just before Agassi and Sampras reached their prime. Considering his, overll career competition, Ivan nearly qualifies as and all time great. Roger was lucky that Nadal and Novak peaked by the time he won his first 13 slams from 03-08. Nadal was a bit lucky in that he had weak clay court competition, except for Roger, at times. But then Roger had problems with Rafa on all surfaces. Ther is NO shame in being considered anywhere as good as Lendl was.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
If Murray in the remaining 4/5 decent years of his career secures another 6 GS, 250 Weeks at no.1 multiple WTFs and an extra 50 titles I will ritual suicide with Mooza, Sapeod and MuzzahLovah (others are welcome to join)
:haha:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wrong Slavia, Lendl is from Czech. Lendl's overall record: 94 tournament wins, YE @ #1, weeks @ #1, Masters titles, YE titles, is superior to most. He played in a Very Tough era. First he had Borg, Connors and McEnroe to contend with. Then he had Becker and Edberg, just before Agassi and Sampras reached their prime. Considering his, overll career competition, Ivan nearly qualifies as and all time great. Roger was lucky that Nadal and Novak peaked by the time he won his first 13 slams from 03-08. Nadal was a bit lucky in that he had weak clay court competition, except for Roger, at times. But then Roger had problems with Rafa on all surfaces. Ther is NO shame in being considered anywhere as good as Lendl was.
completely agree with this guy. Although Lendl lost many finals he was the most consistent player to reach final and give himself opportunity to win. People only look at negatives rather than his positive results. He won 8 GS and lost 9 GS. Would you consider his record better with 8 GS win and 2 GS loss? I bet people would. what matters is how much he won and accomplished. Judge him by what he achieved and not by what he did not or what he could have.

I am certain Djoko in future would definitely rake in more than 2 GS and if all goes well he will achieve the doubel digit. It would be realy shame that a talent like him would not be considered along the ranks of Borg, Laver, Nadal, Sampras and Federer by the time he hangs up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts