Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about this lately and I really couldn't come up with anything.

I can actually name worse players who managed to win one or more big titles but not sure if there is a better Eliteless player.

So what do you think? Is he really the BWET (BestWithoutEliteTitle) or you have another player in mind who deserves this status more?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Re: Nishikori is the best player ever without an Elite title?

Yes yes he is. Hopefully that changes this year. HE's off to a great start.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts

Nishi and Milos both good shouts. Throw Dom Thiem into the mix. Should have something bigger on clay. Has mostly fallen to Rafa or Djokovic, but also to AZ (MS1000 F last year) , and Nishikori.

Out of them, would still maybe pick (pre injury) Nishikori.

Berdman barely escaped the list. Would've otherwise been my pick.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

He is.
I refuse to believe Thiem will remain masterless for much longer. :p

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

Yeah.

And he definitely will be once Thiem gets a Masters (or even French Open).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

Considering he should have gotten through Madrid 2014 if he hadn't been injured in the second set, yes.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

Considering he should have gotten through Madrid 2014 if he hadn't been injured in the second set, yes.
wasnt he already down BP's?

·
52,613 Posts
wasnt he already down BP's?
He saved some in an early game to hold. But speaking of how well he was playing, his uncle said Kei deserved to have won and Nadal was lucky. It was the first time I've seen Nadal literally defending blows with little time to recover and going the wrong way on a lot of shots.

4-3 15-30 in set 2 was where it went wrong for Kei, tried one defensive manoeuvre too far and he couldn't play his game after that. Not too far fetched to say he could have won given Nadal lost to Ferrer and Almagro that year as well on the surface. Andy beat him similarly in 2015, though that was a worse version of Nadal.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

He saved some in an early game to hold. But speaking of how well he was playing, his uncle said Kei deserved to have won and Nadal was lucky. It was the first time I've seen Nadal literally defending blows with little time to recover and going the wrong way on a lot of shots.

4-3 15-30 in set 2 was where it went wrong for Kei, tried one defensive manoeuvre too far and he couldn't play his game after that. Not too far fetched to say he could have won given Nadal lost to Ferrer and Almagro that year as well on the surface. Andy beat him similarly in 2015, though that was a worse version of Nadal.
I think from that point on 4-3 15-40 whatever it was, healthy or not I'd favor Nadal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Nishi and Milos both good shouts. Throw Dom Thiem into the mix. Should have something bigger on clay. Has mostly fallen to Rafa or Djokovic, but also to AZ (MS1000 F last year) , and Nishikori.

Out of them, would still maybe pick (pre injury) Nishikori.

Berdman barely escaped the list. Would've otherwise been my pick.
I guess Kei needs to pray that Dom snatches a Master/Slam title in the upcoming years so he can retain this prestigious status. :nerd:

Berdman is probably the best of the ones who have won one big title. Could also be Ferrer.

Delpo the best with two big titles.

·
Registered
695 Posts

I would agree with that, yes. I also think Raonic is in second place.
If you look by surface, Thiem has to be the best claycourter without an elite title, by a long way. But I'm sure Thiem will get many elite titles on clay.

·
52,613 Posts
I think from that point on 4-3 15-40 whatever it was, healthy or not I'd favor Nadal.
He was only aggressive on one or two pts the rest was just trying to hang in. He really needed Kei to buckle physically. Remember Kei had that tough marathon with Ferrer in the semis.

I know you think Kei would do a Cilic. But he really was playing his top game then and mastering the court geometry. Sad he has been 0/4 in masters finals with that level. He was also playing so sharp against Djokovic in Rome 2016 losing in the third set TB and handily dispatched Gasquet and Dominic.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Looking forward to the best player to never win anything above a 250 thread. Gasquet clearly.
Fernando Gonzalez says hello.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts

The disrespect shown to Memphis in this thread is disgusting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts