Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Nick Kyrgios the most popular player on tour after the Big 3?

• Yes

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 68.3%

Is Nick Kyrgios the most popular player on tour after the Big 3?

3K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  Arrow 
#1 ·
His matches generate an interest which is only eclipsed by the Big 3. The commentators love him, the crowds love him and social media loves him.

#2 ·
No, I don't think so. He has many fans, but he also has many who hate him. I would say after the big 3, Nishikori can be the most popular one with all the Asian fans behind him.

#4 ·
wouldnt say he is popular widely, but of course he is one of the best known outside of the big names because of his negative attitude

#6 · (Edited)
He's a bit like Lleyton Hewitt in a way
Many people used to hate him for being such a brat and his irritating 'come on' behaviour, and eventually, he got accepted by the public
Similar here...and thats starting to happen right now. Not trying to be sarcastic, but without the bushfire incident this year, he probably don't deserve for what he is today and would keep end up with a childish on court behaviour and/or mumbling like a manic & losing in the end like if it's nothing. Now, you can see and feel that each match MEANS something for him. The bushfire, ATP team cup and his little bro, Demon being out of Aussie Open etc. All these things adds up which gives him the legitimate reason to get himself fired up or otherwise the other side of 'mental Nick' would be sleeping like a beggar....

#8 ·
Most polarizing would be the right way to put it.
You can either love him or hate him. There is no middle ground.

Reactions: Servebots=GOAT
#14 ·
Maybe in Australia but nowhere else. Stan and Stefanos are more popular around the world.

I think Stefanos, if he does win some big titles, will be the most popular player after the Big 3 are done. He’s far more interesting, charismatic, better looking than Nick.

#15 ·
What about sir andy murray?

#16 ·
Kyrgios is not more popular than Murray, Wawrinka, and del Potro. Murray more popular than Wawrinka because he was the one who was part of Big 4, not Wawrinka.

It would be Wawrinka at the moment, since Murray and del Potro are in and out of active tennis scene. Wawrinka's popularity comes from being a big match player who can cause big upsets and has that "X" factor about him.

#17 · (Edited)
Krygios is the most unpopular player on the tour.
I've never met a person who claimed to like Krygios.
And Jordan Thompson's match with Fognini had a louder and more enthusiastic crowd than Krygios' match.
Jordan Thompson is not well-known, and still got more crowd support than Krygios.
Also, the 2019 US Open broke the all-time attendance record, and Kyrgios only played 3 matches, so he's a non-factor.

The other thing I'll point to is the fact that Krygios hasn't made a slam QF since 2015, and that means hardly anyone knows who he is, because the QF, SF and F of slams are the matches that get publicity.

#18 ·
99% of the people who mention Krygios on twitter are posting anti-Krygios tweets, as he's criticized more than any other player in tennis (because his 'personality' is offensive).
The commentators like to talk about anything that an idiot does, and Krygios is the biggest idiot in tennis, doing the most idiotic things anyone has ever done since Fognini....except Fognini is likable and has a big fan base, whereas Krygios is pathetic and has an almost non-existent fan base.
The crowd loves De Minaur and Barty.

#19 ·
IMO Nick is a kind of niche brand (if I can call him like that) where all people that like to be provocative against establishment can find a model.
Teenager in me likes him, as I used to with JohnnyMac....
But two points are limits which prevent Grown up me to cheer for him : his repeated badmouthing which is borderline to lack of respect to other players and his lack of meaty results (Multiple Slams like Johnny Mac) which make badmouthing against some Top players embarrassing and patheticly sounding like jealousy

#20 ·
Yes without a question, people that are tennis nerds like us guys often dislike him, also in the general public, but his charm gives him loads of fans. You could see the seeds of it before he broke through, in 2014 when he played in the Aussie open he lost in 5 to Paire but the crowd was absolutely insane

Him stirring shit and drawing attention only makes him more popular as it gives him publicity.

#24 ·
LOL, one of most hated for sure.

In his case popularity and hate go together.

#25 ·
No :censored:
Murray, del Potro, Wawrinka, Nishikori are more popular and liked. Even Dimitrov. Tsonga, a couple of years ago, maybe.
Kyrgios has his fans of course, and his trick shots are celebrated, but he's mostly off putting because of his behaviour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.