Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article here http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/04/17/Kyrgios-Vogue-Open-Court.aspx

He said
‘I had a chance to meet Michael Jordan at the US Open,’ he says, ‘but I turned it down.’ Why? ‘I didn’t think I was worthy to shake his hand.’”
To me this seems cocky and rude tbh. Nick says he has always been his idol growing up so why turn down a chance to meet him when he may never reach anywhere near the
level in his sport that Jordan did in his. So is he actually committing to becoming the GOAT or just being a douchebag?

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
He wants to become somebody (to him somebody means a top tennis pro, or the best in the world) before he shakes the hands of the likes of a Michael Jordan. Perhaps it's cocky in that it infers he believes he will become a great in the game and one day be worthy to shake Michael Jordan's hand. Perhaps it's cocky, that it also infers that almost nobody should be daring to meet Michael Jordan, so it comes across as elitist. I don't think it was a douchebag move, nor that he was thinking about it in quite this much depth.

·
Registered
412 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
He explicitly says he didn't because he "didn't feel worthy". The humility expressed there is the exact opposite of cockiness.

Bit of a humblebrag, but I don't even think he meant it like that either.

·
23,950 Posts
Well Kyrgios is a big NBA/basketball fan. I agree this seems a bit...putting Jordan to a "God level" thing of being not worthy to see him even though he was given an opportunity, I mean surely while humbled is still a good life-noteable meet, but maybe he seems things differently here. I agree a bit of reeking an aura of "I'm only going to meet him when I'm a big name myself" which is actually not bad if he's really trying to reach that level (of course we don't know if he would be a big star name but I guess he confidence in his ability) but I think it's now what he meant. Still weird not wanting to have this moment especially you don't if he could meet him again.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
a) "I didn’t think I was worthy"
b) cocky

Choose one. Shit thread.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
On topic. Yes he is unnecessary cocky and rude. There was no need for something like this.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
So basically, you must have a grand slam to shake MJordans hand.. well their goes my hopes of ever shaking hands with MJordan

1 - 20 of 53 Posts