Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm talking about the transition from prime to decline.

He won the FO in 2014 and after that hasn't won even a 500 tourney and doesn't look to be in shape to win one in the future either? :confused:
Vulturing 250s is the closest he's getting to ATP titles these days and is getting blown off the court by every decent player (top 50) he faces.

Is his decline the suddenmost one in recent memory? He's like 1/4th of what he used to be and he just won a slam last year? :p:confused:

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Re: Is Doll's decline the most sudden among active ATP players?

not really, he's been slumping since USO13

Federer's in 2013 was just as bad, in 2012 he was winning slams and bagelling Djokovic, then he started getting routined by Robredo at places like the USO and losing to Brands in some mug event (iirc)

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Federer's in 2013 was just as bad, in 2012 he was winning slams and bagelling Djokovic, then he started getting routined by Robredo at places like the USO and losing to Brands in some mug event (iirc)
I don't think so... he blitzed through the AO 14 in a draw of decent players and was only beaten by Peakrinka that too because he had a broken back. Although a mediocre clay court swing followed, he was still in shape at the business end and won the FO outlasting Grindovic in tough conditions. What followed after he was blown off the court by the inspired future Wimbledon champion King Kyrgios though is rather mysterious to me.....
First the right arm wrist injury, then the appendectomy and then getting blown off the court left and right, with his previous form nowhere to be seen... It all seems too sudden post FO/Wimbly 2014...

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Yeah, it is been swift and almost absolute in nature..I mean Federer-- after the 2013 summer debacle-- was getting slowly back form on Indoors (losing to Djokovic/Delpo in 3 setter and in-form Nadal) as a prelude to bounce-back year in 2014..Nadal has been getting upended by mugs non-stop since Indian Wells 2014.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
nah its not been as drastic as some say

look at 2014- he did poorly in the clay season and then won RG- without his RG title his 2014 would be very similar to 2015 in terms of consistency and things

I don't think he is playing THAT badly, obviously considerably worse than a few years ago but a lot of his losses have been somewhat understandable and against quality opponents. Dolgopolov today, for example, is not really shocking. Alex was playing well and Nadal is coming from just winning a grass tournament and generally is prone to upsets on the surface

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nah its not been as drastic as some say

look at 2014- he did poorly in the clay season and then won RG- without his RG title his 2014 would be very similar to 2015 in terms of consistency and things

I don't think he is playing THAT badly, obviously considerably worse than a few years ago but a lot of his losses have been somewhat understandable and against quality opponents. Dolgopolov today, for example, is not really shocking. Alex was playing well and Nadal is coming from just winning a grass tournament and generally is prone to upsets on the surface
If you think like this, there's always an excuse for every loss and he'll never be in decline :haha::yeah:

Yeah, it is been swift and almost absolute in nature..I mean Federer-- after the 2013 summer debacle-- was getting slowly back form on Indoors (losing to Djokovic/Delpo in 3 setter and in-form Nadal) as a prelude to bounce-back year in 2014..Nadal has been getting upended by mugs non-stop since Indian Wells 2014.
I guess we can all agree that his decline has been too sudden. But this begs the question - why? Isn't it too suspicious/ unreasonable? Has he given up on tennis?. Beats me, anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
If you think like this, there's always an excuse for every loss and he'll never be in decline :haha::yeah:

I guess we can all agree that his decline has been too sudden. But this begs the question - why? Isn't it too suspicious/ unreasonable? Has he given up on tennis?. Beats me, anyway.
Logically speaking it should: A pro since 2001 who hit the big-time a decade ago(2005)..It is in fact memorable how much of a staying power he has had as he is the last in the tradition of "early bloomers"..See what happened to guys like Hewitt/Courier/Wilander etc

·
Registered
20,731 Posts

I don't think so... he blitzed through the AO 14 in a draw of decent players ...
Not really. Versus Monfils he was impressive, Nishikori (then barely in the top20) average, but vs Dimitrov and Federer he was mediocre. You then see all the roots of his current performances in losses to Dolgo at IW, to Ferrer at MC, Almagro Barcelona etc.

RG? Ginepri, a young Thiem, Leo Mayer, Lajovic. Ferrer imploded and beat himself in the QFs. Murray was completely unfit and coming off two 5-setters, was a walking zombie in the SF. Then Djokovic ...... well, he did it again in this year's RG final too.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
He's been in physical decline for years and his overall decline has been ongoing since the 2013 US Open. However the injury and emotional fallout from the 2014 AO final expediated things. And then when he might have been on the road to recovery injury struck again in the second half of the year. When you get older you stop being able to fully recover from these things so each time he gets knocked back now he can't build himself up to what he was before and each further knockback sends him lower still. He's actually been unusually fortunate health wise this season but he won't be able to recover even early 2014 form now, let alone 2013.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

Fed had problems with his back.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It has been a rough year for Nadal. He was out of the tour for the second half of 2014, went through troubles with his wrist, operation, etc. Any player taking 6 months off the tour would have similar problems, with the aggravation in this case that Nadal is 29 years old, and the older you are the tougher it is to regain top form.

I think people think that because Nadal rebounded epically after his 2012 injury absence, things would be the same this time. It's not surprising, really.

Nadal is 10th in the rankings, but he is defending no points virtually from this point until the end of the season. I think he will finish within the Top 5 by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
He has had two of these "declines" before. 2009, 2012.

After both of these, he had the two best years of his career. 2010, 2013.

He has been in another decline (mid 2014 to mid 2015).

I am expecting another MIRACULOUS recovery (and so are many of his fans - I wonder what they know ?).

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
No.. Federer's fall after US-12 was even worse
No, actually he's been playing pretty well till AO 13. After Rotterdam it went downwards and he injured his back at Indian Wells.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

He won the FO in 2014 and after that hasn't won even a 500 tourney and doesn't look to be in shape to win one in the future either? :confused:
Vulturing 250s is the closest he's getting to ATP titles these days and is getting blown off the court by every decent player (top 50) he faces.

Is his decline the suddenmost one in recent memory? He's like 1/4th of what he used to be and he just won a slam last year? :p:confused:
He has declined? Yes, in a slump YES. BUT EVEN IF ITS OVER FOR HIM.

WHAT A FUCKING RECORD.

14 SLAMS, OLYMPIC GOLD
9 FRENCH OPENS
66 career titles--INCLUDING 27 masters
THE AMERICAN HARDCOURT TREBLE
10 consecutive years with at least one SLAM

Second great player of ALLTIME and by far the greatest claycourter of ALLTIME. HELL YES!!!
I Will take that record for today's decline...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

He has declined? Yes, in a slump YES. BUT EVEN IF ITS OVER FOR HIM.

WHAT A FUCKING RECORD.

14 SLAMS, OLYMPIC GOLD
9 FRENCH OPENS
66 career titles--INCLUDING 27 masters
THE AMERICAN HARDCOURT TREBLE
10 consecutive years with at least one SLAM
GOLDEN SLAM BY THE AGE OF 24
H2H of 23/10 over the GOAT...

Second greatest player of ALLTIME and by far the greatest claycourter of ALLTIME. HELL YES!!!
I Will take that record for today's decline...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
He was out of the tour for the second half of 2014
Why do I keep reading that Nadal was out for 6 months, half the year etc.? After Wimbledon 2014 he played Beijing, Shanghai and Basel, the latter being at the end of October. Then Doha at the beginning of January. . . that's quite a bit less than 3 months. Fair enough to say he didn't earn many points in the 2nd half of 2014, but he didn't MISS so many months.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
No, look at his level of play throughout 2014; it was obvious his game was in decline. Take away his confidence and now you have this.

It's amazing that he managed to win RG as he was last year.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
It is quiet bizarre tbh even though I am not a fan of Nadal his sudden decline is one of the strangest things. He came back in 2013 having one of the best season of his career, boom comes 2014 makes the AO finals and has never been the same since with the exception of RG his level has been just terrible.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts