Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal IMO is the luckiest player of all time ( LOAT ). Seriously, he's playing in an era where racquet tech allows him to hit with crazy spin, and without that science and topspin his game is mediocre. Any era with pre 2000 racquets, he would get routined by lots of people, and lose to a Peakerer on clay.

In addition, tennis god saw Nadal arriving and destroyed his only serious clay court rival - coria post RG 2004, my heart breaks seriously he was the clay court heir apparent. Clay era 2005- present is the weakest era in history across any surface. Feds HC and grass slams had WAY tougher opponents. Lajovic ginepri and co on clay....

Then the courts...,grass was made slower, hard courts slow and bouncy, the ATP basically creating perfect conditions for Nadal. ATP actually killing the sport like most sporting bodies.. All just chase the $, no care for the sport. How many slams does Nadal win on 90s grass or HC?

Finally - EL Tio is the GOAT tactician and a genius. He forced Nadal to become a lefty and perfect 5000rpm moonballs. Also, on court coaching in GS finals ( uso2010) must be helpful, no?

Honourable mention: Djokovic, the best matchup for Nadal turned into a mental midget post AO2012, maybe the death of his grandfather affected him, anyway RG 2012 - djoker wins 8 games in a row but Nadal uses player power to suspend the match. He can only play in perfect conditions with a perfect racquet, much like a scientific instrument or technology. Rain = Tio phones the ATP to stop the match. RG 13 net touch. USO.. Olderer. Murray back surgery so absent to routine Nadal. Chokeovic still in ruins over RG 13... And tennis god activates wind. Windovic.

So IMO, Nadals success is down to ( in order ) Science and Technology, tios vision of the future, tios tactics, violating the on court coaching rules and violating time rules to recover and receiving NO punishment... Also Courts becoming slower and bouncier, and finally a grand total of 0 players whose best surface is clay since 2005 in the RG final. And 2013-2014 being so weak, del wristro, soderking injured, backray, fatherer, and Djoko mentally injured.

Also, to be the GOAT you need to able to play on any surface with any racquet. Fed could probably play on ice using a Chinese factory supermarket racquet. Nadal needs cutting edge scientific racquets and special exemption from the rules and very specific court speeds and bounces. If not, he is injured or roasted. So he can't be the GOAT. But he has 14 slams?!! Therefore he's the LOAT.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
What's up with these threads in the last couple of days?

I can feel my brain slowly giving up

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
You bet...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Your a clown. Do you think racket tec has only benefited rafa. Look at all the players huge flat shot with big swing patterns. Those shots wouldnt also be possible without racket tech

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your a clown. Do you think racket tec has only benefited rafa. Look at all the players huge flat shot with big swing patterns. Those shots wouldnt also be possible without racket tech
NID no reply for my actual points arguments... Just calling me a clown and saying it benefitted flat hitters just as much LOL weak reply. You think del potro or Blake wouldn't be able to bash with an old racquet? They'd be the hardest hitting guys relative to the others regardless of racquet tech. And all the other points, no reply can be found?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Look at how many slams he's had to miss due to injury, compared to someone like Federer. Then tell me he's lucky.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look at how many slams he's had to miss due to injury, compared to someone like Federer. Then tell me he's lucky.
Yep funny how he's missed so many French opens and still won 9... Oh wait he missed Wimbledon in 2009, avoiding the likes of darcis and rosol in R1 and R2.. He missed USO 2012 / AO 2012 but wasn't beating Murray and djoker b2b, he only had 1 uso and 1 AO at the time... Funny how he always misses his worst slams but never the clay season, no?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yep funny how he's missed so many French opens and still won 9... Oh wait he missed Wimbledon in 2009, avoiding the likes of darcis and rosol in R1 and R2.. He missed USO 2012 / AO 2012 but wasn't beating Murray and djoker b2b, he only had 1 uso and 1 AO at the time... Funny how he always misses his worst slams but never the clay season, no?
Why is that funny? Obviously he's more likely to want to work through injury in the tournaments he's best at.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,199 Posts
To be honest Nadal was very lucky that Del Potro couldn't be injury free all these important years. He only beat him when Potro was too young, coming back from long absence or semi-injured. DelPo was the real counter to Nadal, so while most other players have their real counters, Nadal has avoided his for the most part.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You make your own luck.
With luck alone, you can not win Majors or for that matter anything. You need to work.
Rafa (like most Top Athletes) puts enormous amount of work on his game .

RG may be his Home Turf, still to win it, you need to beat 7 players.
2005-08, he beat Roger , 2010-11 he beat Roger again and 2012-14 he beat Novak , the second best players of that year.

It is NOt Rafa's fault that he is THAT good in one surface.

So far , he had 3 multi-slam years (2008, 2010, 2013).

The rackets and the playing surface are NOT unique for Rafa. It is equally available to ALL players . It is not an individual's fault that his competitors get injured.

The OP is advised to get some pepto bismol and good rest. You will be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest Nadal was very lucky that Del Potro couldn't be injury free all these important years. He only beat him when Potro was too young, coming back from long absence or semi-injured. DelPo was the real counter to Nadal, so while most other players have their real counters, Nadal has avoided his for the most part.
Not to mention davydenko being injured missing AO 09.. And nalbandian Blake etc being declining and from Feds gen. If those guys were Nadals gen they would've prevented him winning any HC slams, he isn't beating Davy Blake Nalby DelPo - any 3 of them b2b ( QF,SF,F ) hence at the WTF he's a mug

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why is that funny? Obviously he's more likely to want to work through injury in the tournaments he's best at.
:haha: :haha: your comment actually made me LOL, wow... You don't win a slam injured, and all players carry minor injuries. Nadal isn't unlucky, he just misses slams he thinks he can't win - Wimbledon 2012/13 are examples of what would happen if he showed up to all those slams he missed. But Nadal never loses unless injured, no, and even then he wins the FO whilst injured no?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Good thread. Most objective people can acknowledge this. Yes, new tech helped Federer too but not nearly as much. Fed would still be great in the 90s.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Then the courts...,grass was made slower, hard courts slow and bouncy, the ATP basically creating perfect conditions for Nadal. ATP actually killing the sport like most sporting bodies.. All just chase the $, no care for the sport.
That the tour has been solely about the buck has been obvious for a long time. Leaving out the *fact* that the tour conditions have been altered so dramtically, why else would any sport facilitate someone to break several of it's rules so publicly for so long? Why would they allow their officials to be intimidated and unwilling to do their job? Tennis is but entertainment. It is run by the money men, for more money men. Name me a business where a global money-making machine has yielded to notions of gentlemanly conduct and fairplay over product development and increased media revenue streams? And you can bet your bottom dollar that the tour is more rotten than that. No need to say more.

Tis what it is. I don't like it anymore than anyone who loves the game above any one player, but without some kind of whistleblowing, the train rolls on. I just pray that at some point it becomes once again more profitable to restore the game to its skill base and away from the rinse-repeat test of physical endurance and technology it has become.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal has shown in certain hard court events that he can play a flatter game fairly effectively because he does have powerful strokes when it comes down to it (check out that forehand often)

even indoor (which, yes, is still faster than what outdoor HC was in the 90s) he does okay, winning a Masters 1000 earlier in his career as well as making the Masters Cup final before

I think obvious he would be a fairly great player even with, say, 90s technology. maybe not AS effective as he is today but who can say? Nadal grew up when he did and he adopted a style of play based on the surrounding conditions. we don't truly KNOW if Nadal could have been capable of being extremely successful with a different style. it'd be impossible to know

I think given his fitness, attitude, and general skill it's naive though to claim that he wouldn't be able to win slams on any surface in any period. he's shown he can adapt (i.e. improving serve speeds at times, hitting flatter / ending points faster on HC)

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Good thread. Most objective people can acknowledge this. Yes, new tech helped Federer too but not nearly as much. Fed would still be great in the 90s.
it's impossible to say how good any player would truly be in another era. we can only guess. make no mistake though, the insane incredibly shots Federer could make from the baseline in his prime were a huge part because of racket technology. you don't get some of those angles without a lot of help

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Who cares if he is the LOAT or the GOAT... it makes no difference.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts