Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always felt that Nadal is a unique specimen. The physicality that he brought to tennis was just ridiculous. Those amazing gets, legendary defense, running around for hours, were something that I thought was unique to him. Nobody could play tennis like Nadal cause it's just too damn physical.

And then, Djokovic 2.0 came around. And he's doing the same things. Amazing gets, check. Legendary defense, check. running around for hours, check. All of the sudden, Nadal is not unique anymore. What's more Djokovic 2.0 can do all these things that Nadal can, and then some.

I'm kind of confuse and disappointed.

Was Nadal never "A freak of nature" in the first place? Or is Djokovic 2.0 also "A freak of nature"? Two freaks? Man, this is not good. None of them is unique now. Are we gonna see more "freaks of nature" in the future?

Help me. guys!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ferrer is as much of a freak too just doesnt have a big forehand or serve.

Federer is a freak of nature too. He can run for hours.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Nadal is still unique in that sense, yes. Djokovic is close, but I'm still suspect of his stamina. He hasn't had to deal with consistently long matches like maybe Nadal had to go through. Federer is a good candidate as well, at least during his peak. He looked never tired, seemed to be at very ball, lasted in 5 setters, etc. Of course his physical nature is more about longevity rather than strength which Nadal is more known for, and we all know how his play style is not as taxing.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ferrer is as much of a freak too just doesnt have a big forehand or serve.

Federer is a freak of nature too. He can run for hours.
Nadal is still unique in that sense, yes. Djokovic is close, but I'm still suspect of his stamina. He hasn't had to deal with consistently long matches like maybe Nadal had to go through. Federer is a good candidate as well, at least during his peak. He looked never tired, seemed to be at very ball, lasted in 5 setters, etc. Of course his physical nature is more about longevity rather than strength which Nadal is more known for, and we all know how his play style is not as taxing.
Ferrer is a lesser version of the real thing. He's not qualified to be called "A freak of nature".

And Federer would be in a wheelchair by now, if he played the Nadal game.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal was a unique freak of nature and still is to some degree... he is just getting older. Nadal at his best has had the most insane physicality and ability to go the distance in any point, game, set, or match. Djokovic is extremely flexible and has become an extremely solid baseliner but is not really the freak of nature that Nadal is.

watch Nadal from say 2008 and you see something you will probably never see again. it's eyecatching because he (when in best health and attitude) can get to any ball and is never out of the question of winning a point even in the worst case scenarios, chasing down winners, diving to the ground, etc etc.

Djokovic is unique and a great player but it is sort of apples and oranges.

Djokovic is an extremely flexible 'freak' too but not to the extent of Nadal with his physicality and 'bull' like nonstop never giving up attitude that has been displayed over the years.

just watching some of their best matches and best points says it all. Nadal from 2006/2008/2010 at moments when you saw him win insane points it was incredible it was unusual, it was something you hadn't seen. Djokovic on the other hand impresses with great things he does on the court, but does it in a robotic manner. he doesn't make insane dives or move around the court quite like the most special moments with Nadal.

Nadal is a freak of nature and I doubt we will ever see a player who plays and fights and has the physicality that Nadal has had in his best moments. special thing

·
Registered
21,372 Posts
Yes. It takes tremendous strength and speed and endurance to play the way he does, with such little skill.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes. It takes tremendous strength and speed and endurance to play the way he does, with such little skill.
SO why are you a fanboi of a player with even less skill than nadal?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
nadal needs to be a physical freak. the spin he generates, and the grip of his action, make it much more physical with nadal. whereas djoker and fed's forehands are more classical.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For me Nadals movement and constant intensity is unique. Especially on clay no one comes close in that aspect.

Djokovic plays closer to the baseline and his movement is perfect for hardcourt and very good for clay but he can't keep up the intensity like nadal. He makes a little more uforced errors and also some more winners.

The most draining thing with Nadal was always when he could take the upper hand in a rally he wouldn't just hit a winner most of the time but starts pressuring the opponent with deep and fast extreme topspinshots. Nobody could hit multiple winners against those shots they were just running for too little points. But Djokovic in 2011 started to hit attacking shots of Nadals pressure shots, and give Nadal less oppertunity to play his pressure shots because of good returns, so Nadal was on the run even more and couldn't keep up.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Nadal is still unique in that sense, yes. Djokovic is close, but I'm still suspect of his stamina.
Beats Nadal in straight sets, in a day match, after Murray took him to a brutal 3hr+ epic 16 hours before. This was also his 3rd week playing in a row, winning Madrid and Belgrade before.

What's more, he didn't even look tired in the final.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Beats Nadal in straight sets, in a day match, after Murray took him to a brutal 3hr+ epic 16 hours before. This was also his 3rd week playing in a row, winning Madrid and Belgrade before.

What's more, he didn't even look tired in the final.
Nole is a more talented tennis player, but he is nowhere near Rafa's level when it comes to physical ability.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
freak of "nature?" Replace that with something else and you will know :D

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
Yet, in Miami, in the heat, very heavy/slow conditions .... who was it that tired first in the 25+ shot rallies?

Wasn't Djokovic.
You are missing the point. Rafa is in great physical condition since 1986. Djokovic was just impressive last year.

·
12,691 Posts
Nole is a more talented tennis player, but he is nowhere near Rafa's level when it comes to physical ability.
I agree with 1st part but the bolded part i don't agree with. Nadal's physical ability is great but Nole is not that far in that aspect IMO. Nole's movement, agility & defence are really great. Nole defends better than Rafa from the BH side but Rafa defends better from the FH side. Overall Rafa is a better defender at his peak. Nole is a blanced player who has more skills that Rafa. He can turn from Defence to Offense with ease unlike Rafa.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
He's a monster :rocker2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts