Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The more I think about it, the more I tell myself that Rafael Nadal has every chance of making a poor showing at the Australian Open like the one in 2016. Let me explain. Currently, we are in the opposite situation in 2019. In 2019, Nadal had no rhythm but he was rested. This year, he has (too much) rhythm but he is not rested. He finished his 2019 season physically drained in Davis Cup after problems with his hand and abs. He only took 8 days off at Disney (between November 25th and December 3rd) and went straight back to training.

He was convincing in Abu Dhabi against good players. Nevertheless, he took it up a notch in the ATP Cup. His service is not as good as in 2019. He is much more passive in the exchange and less aggressive with very short balls. All his opponents (except Cuevas) took advantage of this by taking the ball very early, playing long and deep and attacking on his forehand side. He even lost against David Goffin in 2 sets. The only glimmer of hope is his second set against Djokovic where he finally changed his tactics by varying a lot more with slice, runs to the net and a better serve. However, afterwards, he didn't play doubles. It's good for his rest BUT when you know the passion that the Spaniard has for his country, it really means that he was physically exhausted. Even a 70% Nadal would have played that double because it's his country. He even mentioned some physical discomforts in an interview.

Now, there's a week's break before the Australian Open (which is the equivalent of his rest during the off-season).

I feel like sounding the alarm. In what state will the Majorcan arrive in Melbourne? Will he be able to defend all his chances? Or, on the other hand, will his physique end up giving way due to the accumulation of long matches? What do you think about that? Am I worrying for nothing or is it justified? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
He overplayed. Fact. He even pledged to be careful with the planning his schedule but come Spain and he is again out of his mind.
Depends on the draw and the effort in his matches how deep he gets. No chance of the title of course.
Better concentrate on RG2020 after that because if this castle falls he is done.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He overplayed. Fact. He even pledged to be careful with the planning his schedule but come Spain and he is again out of his mind.
Depends on the draw and the effort in his matches how deep he gets. No chance of the title of course.
Better concentrate on RG2020 after that because if this castle falls he is done.
It sounds weird, but may be it is not a bad thing. In fact, if there is a slow down in the start of his year, it is the only mean to rest for him. If he is able to rest, he is able to be at the top for the clay. But for the AO, I'm very worried about his energy.

·
Registered
22,065 Posts
I’m wondering why no one seems concerned about Djokovic when he has played as much as Nadal. Even DC. I guess Djokovic has better stamina so he’s less of a concern

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I’m wondering why no one seems concerned about Djokovic when he has played as much as Nadal. Even DC. I guess Djokovic has better stamina so he’s less of a concern
Because Serbia doing well in team events like this usually gives him extra confidence and motivation for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fact, I think Djokovic will be tired, may be not for the AO but after, it is possible. I don't know, we have to check his elbow issue.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Djokovic doesn’t use as much effort in rallies as Nadal does. His strokes take less effort and he’s more on top of points and not running 10 feet behind the baseline.

·
justice for all
16,249 Posts
He needs an easy draw in the first few rounds. But if he’s up against an inspired opponent he might even go home before 2nd week. No worries though - there’s plenty of things to be done in the academy and I’d bet Xisca is crying for a child so Rafaelito should better take care of that.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
And who's gonna beat him before the semis considering all the contenders (seeds 5/6 Tsitsi/Thiem ) & dark horses (Stan 4R) ) will be in Djoker's half ?

So, as at the last AO he could probably play virtually without a defense till the finals.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Short answer, No.

Longer answer, we've been waiting for years and years and years for a breakthrough. When is it finally going to come?:

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Short answer, No.

Longer answer, we've been waiting for years and years and years for a breakthrough. When is it finally going to come?:
The only relevant "breakthrough" is when GOAT Rafael gets to 20 GS and then 21 to surpass 40-15erer.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Christ is it going to be this bad all year?

·
Registered
322 Posts
He desperately needs a win against Djokovic or Federer off clay. These are the only players to really challenge him off of clay besides a couple young guns but even then they have lost on his least favourite surface at wtf etc. He needs to regain some confidence because he just goes into a defensive shell against Djokovic to hold on and he needs to take the game to him he showed this a couple times using his backhand to crush the ball rather then slicing it back in. I will admit though whoever out of the top 4 gets berrentini is a lucky person thiem, Zverev, and Tsitsipas make for some tough competition for all of the big 3.

·
Your visions will happen
49,306 Posts
He needs an easy draw in the first few rounds. But if he’s up against an inspired opponent he might even go home before 2nd week. No worries though - there’s plenty of things to be done in the academy and I’d bet Xisca is crying for a child so Rafaelito should better take care of that.
Everybody's clock is ticking

Djokovic needs AO the most. He cannot afford to lose pace. Can even get back to #1 if he wins and Nadal loses QF or earlier

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nadal doesn’t play his new game against Djokovic and Federer. He played a mix between defensive and agressive game. But in his defensive game, there is a lack of a half a step. He doesn’t assume plenty of his new game. So he is dominated in both side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts