Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all of you know some people like Agassi, and other Nadal fans and commentators etc are calling Nadal the GOAT. Hating aside this is a very serious question in terms of damaging the sport of tennis.

Wimbledon is the greatest tournament in the world, so say after hearing Agassi's comments a casual fan tunes in to watch Nadal at Wimbledon.. Or in a warmup event at halle, and sees him getting absolutely REKT by some player ranked 80 or 100 or whatever.

Or say a fan who knows nothing about tennis watching for the first time, and thinks wow who is this Nadal mug getting REKT by Brown.

Either way, how does that reflect on tennis? They'll think wow - what a mug sport lol, if he's the GOAT I'll find something else to watch. Say what you want, but fed made 36 QF, 23 SF and 10F in a row. How many times until the end of 2012 have you seen fed get absolutely destroyed in early rounds, especially off clay? Even when fed loses, the match is on his racquet 99% of the time and hes playing well below his best. With Nadal, he can comeback if he opponents level drops, and if not he gets baked, but with fed you feel if he finds his A game its GSM NID, like today against Sousa as soon as he stopped mugging.

People like drugassi should really stop damaging tennis, first his drugtaking like puerta bringing the sport and now his dulltard comments, no respect for the sport.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Who called him bloody well the GOAT? Only some attention seeking muppet.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Lol. I won't have any problems with Nadal being called a GOAT right after his 18 slam. He is a great player for sure, even if u don't like neither his game nor personality (like I am), you can't deny the fact he is one of the best players ever. But now it's more like trolling from his fans and media hype.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
GOAT claycourter, not tennis player!

I;'m sure he'll inspire many other talentless player's alike. 'YOU CAN make it if you aren't the most talented, just requires good work-ethic, strict-discipline and belief'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nobody can conclusively call Nadal the GOAT until he matches or surpasses Federer's slam tally. Even then there will be some debate.

Sure, you could argue it's bad for tennis if the "GOAT" gets crushed by a nomark, but you can also argue that it's good for the sport to have enough strength in depth that it can be unpredictable enough for that to happen. If the top guys never lost to the underdog it would be pretty boring!

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Yes, because he is soooo talentless, soooo talentless :rolleyes:
There;s over 10 players in the top 50 I could effortlessly name that are MORE TALENTED than that slap-head.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Can't hit winners, moonballs and pushes, cheats continually, fakes injuries etc. Yep, great for the game.

·
Registered
609 Posts
is there anything?

arrogant? excuse? ego?
smug nabull fake humble and would never be GOAT. profiecient on all surface require, nabull only on clay = incomplete on tenis

legend? no.
memorable? no.
GOAT? shut up.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I thought the Swiss player who dominated a weak and embarrassing era and has been wrecked by Rafa, time and time again was the goat?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
GOAT claycourter, not tennis player!

I;'m sure he'll inspire many other talentless player's alike. 'YOU CAN make it if you aren't the most talented, just requires good work-ethic, strict-discipline and belief'.
A failure by your standards. No one can make it anywhere with just hard-work etc. without having any talent. I'm not just talking about tennis here though.

As to the Op's question, casual tennis fans don't bother about GOAT debate that much. Besides they probably wouldn't be watching Halle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay. Another slam for Rafa another hater born. Beautiful scenes.
Even if Rafa had 0 slams he'd be one of the most hated players on tour. The fact people are calling him the GOAT makes it worse... MTO bathroom breaks time violations on court coaching and way more...

Also this isn't hate, its a serious question for tennis - compare it to any other sport, I can't think of a single one where people in the GOAT debate are getting destroyed - yes it shows strength and depth, but people want to see ethereal talent and godlike skill and talent, and shots that nobody else can play and so on.. IMO pitching Nadal as the best whilst trying to gain new fans would be extremely damaging for tennis

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Only person that see's him as the Goat is the meth head, wig wearing, Las Vegas lollipop Agassi

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh of course it is. According to Fed fans, people in life that are less fortunate born without " talent " should be look down upon. Hard work, heart and determination means nothing in life.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.