Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course he's great on grass. But he is in no way superior to Federer and Nadal (yes Nadal) there. In fact, Murray has never been able to threaten Nadal at Wimbledon. As for Federer, he beat him at the Olympics after Fed was dead beat and could hardly serve.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Of course he's great on grass. But he is in no way superior to Federer and Nadal (yes Nadal) there. In fact, Murray has never been able to threaten Nadal at Wimbledon. As for Federer, he beat him at the Olympics after Fed was dead beat and could hardly serve.

Thoughts?
Well at the moment he is still the best player on grass. He has not lost a match on grass since 2012 W final. Since then he has won Olympics 2012, Queens 2013 and W 2013, beating the likes of Federer, Djokovic and Tsonga, who are not mugs on the surface. That's 18 consecutive matches on grass.

No, he is not overhyped. He simply is where he is supposed to be. The fact is nobody has the same great result as him on grass in the last couple of years

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That's very relative. When people put him in the same league as Federer and Sampras he is overhyped, when he is labeled the best grass courter in the world at this moment he is not overhyped. It would be interesting to see him play Nadal again considering he lost three Wimbledon matches against him. I'd still put Nadal above him but Murray is building his grass court legacy fast and if he finds his previous form he could go down as one of the best on the surface.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's very relative. When people put him in the same league as Federer and Sampras he is overhyped, when he is labeled the best grass courter in the world at this moment he is not overhyped. It would be interesting to see him play Nadal again considering he lost three Wimbledon matches against him. I'd still put Nadal above him but Murray is building his grass court legacy fast and if he finds his previous form he could go down as one of the best on the surface.
Well even if he win a second W title, he is still behind Nadal on grass.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
No, of course he's not overhyped you utter clown. He is quite clearly the best player on that surface by miles.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well even if he win a second W title, he is still behind Nadal on grass.
Perhaps, afterall Nadal has five Wimbledon finals and two titles but Murray has more grass titles overall, olympic gold and a better win/loss percentage. I think he would at least match Nadal with a second Wimbledon title. But it's also true that Nadal is 3:0 against Murray in Wimbledon which is very interesting when comparing their success on grass.

·
Registered
889 Posts
No, of course he's not overhyped you utter clown. He is quite clearly the best player on that surface by miles.
Just because you call someone a clown doesn't make the point you're trying to push across any more valid.

In Britain he is hailed as an time great because of his feats on grass mainly, in truth 1 GS and an Olympic Gold doesn't really back up the belief he is a great on grass. He is good, very good at times, but not the great you and many think he is.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Just because you call someone a clown doesn't make the point you're trying to push across any more valid.

In Britain he is hailed as an time great because of his feats on grass mainly, in truth 1 GS and an Olympic Gold doesn't really back up the belief he is a great on grass. He is good, very good at times, but not the great you and many think he is.
He is he hailed as an all time great on grass in Britain? You're just making stuff up here.

Having said that, if he can continue to dominate the surface for the next few years he could very wèll end up as one of the greats.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Perhaps, afterall Nadal has five Wimbledon finals and two titles but Murray has more grass titles overall, olympic gold and a better win/loss percentage. I think he would at least match Nadal with a second Wimbledon title. But it's also true that Nadal is 3:0 against Murray in Wimbledon which is very interesting when comparing their success on grass.
Nothing beats 2 extra W finals. This is the tiebreaker IMO when 2 guys have the same amount of titles at an event

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Nothing beats 2 extra W finals. This is the tiebreaker IMO when 2 guys have the same amount of titles at an event
Considering he lost 2 of those to a peak Federer as well (one in five sets). But no I don't think Murray is overhyped on the surface at all currently. A Wimbledon title, a final, Olympic gold and a Queens title on the surface in the previous two seasons is about as good as it gets.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
No.

If-you-understand-tennis.

One-word.

Variety.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You can start pole there.

I am sure 2012-13 Dull faces Murray instead of Rosol/Darcis he'll nail Murray 2.0 in4 sets.

He's great player no doubt but not in range of Federer (lol) Nadal, Djokovic on any surface.

I

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You can start pole there.

I am sure 2012-13 Dull faces Murray instead of Rosol/Darcis he'll nail Murray 2.0 in4 sets.

He's great player no doubt but not in range of Federer (lol) Nadal, Djokovic on any surface.

I
Djokovic has never won a set against him on grass

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This-loser-makes-a-thread-on-whichever-top-player-is-out-of-form-or-loses-to-a-small-player-and-starts-making-absurd-observations.

The-most-clueless-TENNIS-poster-on-the-board.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Djokovic has never won a set against him on grass
So are you bringing h2h and matchup to decide who's better?

By this margin Nadal is at least 10 times better player than Nadal as Federer have lost everywhere, but fact is no.

So do you count Gasquet over Djokovic?

Djokovic 2011 seriously can bagel Murray on grass. Last year if Djokovic had lost to potro I'm sure Murray wouldn't have got OBE! :superlol:

1 - 20 of 225 Posts