Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be something in the water affecting tennis stars recently as now two of the world's top four have changed their coach.
Hot on the heels of the news Roger Federer was going to be coached by Paul Annacone on a trial basis, Andy Murray has now revealed he has parted ways with his coach Miles Maclagan.

There have been rumblings of discontent within the camp and the Telegraph has claimed that Maclagan was sick of "playing third wheel" to Alex Corretja - the man who Murray brought in on a part-time basis for the clay court season.

However, on Murray's own personal website he has been quick to point out that it was an amicable split and he has chosen to get rid of Maclagan after a review of his "coaching needs".

"I've had a great relationship with Miles over the past two-and-a-half years and I want to thank him for his positive contribution to my career. We have had a lot of success and fun working together," the British number one said.

So where does that leave Murray now, as he has himself announced he will not look to bring in a replacement until after the US Open in just over a month? Will the tennis betting change to reflect the development?

Maclagan was instrumental in helping Murray reach the final of that tournament in 2008 and also the Australian Open final this year.
It seems strange to get rid and go it alone at such an important part of the season and you have to wonder whether his chances of victory at the US Open are going to be affected as a result.

Murray has not had the greatest year so far, but he had been showing signs of coming back to form at a vital time of year, so getting rid of the coach could be seen by many as an extraordinary decision. His US Open odds will no doubt reflect this.

It will be up to Murray to prove that he knows best by stepping up and lifting some silverware in the coming weeks and months.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts