Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy: If he loses tomorrow I believe enters Cincinnati at 8,260, then minus the 180 from last year's QF, puts him at 8,080, right?
Roger: He enters Cincinnati at 8,065, then minus the 1,000 from last year's title, puts him at 7,065, even if he wins the title again he's guaranteed to finish with 8,065 at best right?

If so, no matter what happens Andy finishes Cincinnati at #2 right? If so, since nothing happens the next week since neither is playing, is Andy already guaranteed #2 seed for the 2015 USO?

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
No, if Fed wins Cincy he'll get to 9065

If Murray doesn't beat Djoker tomorrow then all he needs to do is match Fed's result in Cincy.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
No, if Fed wins Cincy he'll get to 9065

If Murray doesn't beat Djoker tomorrow then all he needs to do is match Fed's result in Cincy.

No. You have to subtract the points from last year and then add whatever he gains this year.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
When do you subtract the points Sublimnal?

They will subtract them the week that falls on the week of the tournament last year. But Victor may be using the live rankings and they have already subtracted Federer's points so yeah he is correct. Federer would have over 9000 points if he wins it again.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
*Official rankings

SUI
Roger Federer
34 9,065 18 1,000 0

GBR
Andy Murray
28 7,840 22 180 90

*The 1000 points for Federer will come off Monday.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
No. You have to subtract the points from last year and then add whatever he gains this year.
they've ALREADY subtracted the pts. So Federer can still edge Murray, he just needs to do a round better

The OP has inadvertently made a double subtraction, check the live rankings.
Victor P is correct

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes but you know #2 or #3 likely won't matter because if Nishikori or Wawrinka is #4 at the USO they'll put him in #1 Djokovic's half and they'll put Rogie and Mugray together anyway I think. Then what comes to play is Rogie and Mugray's 2014 USO points. Mugray made QF 360 points and Rogie made SF 720 points. A 360 point difference, so Rogie must outdo Mugray at the 2015 USO to stand a chance to regain #2 at the end of the USO. The scenarios at the USO can be discussed at a later time though.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
they've ALREADY subtracted the pts. So Federer can still edge Murray

On the live rankings they have but the official rankings will do it Monday. All Murray really has to do is match Federer's result in Cincy, and he gets the #2 seed.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yes but you know #2 or #3 likely won't matter because if Nishikori or Wawrinka is #4 at the USO they'll put him in #1 Djokovic's half and they'll put Rogie and Mugray together anyway I think. Then what comes to play is Rogie and Mugray's 2014 USO points. Mugray made QF 360 points and Rogie made SF 720 points. A 360 point difference, so Rogie must outdo Mugray at the 2015 USO to stand a chance to regain #2 at the end of the USO. The scenarios at the USO can be discussed at a later time though.

I think Federer is pretty much gonna end the year at #3. Murray is playing at a high level this year and I expect that to continue. Meanwhile, doesn't Federer have a shitload of points to defend in the fall?

·
Registered
717 Posts
If Murray loses tomorrow then it's very open. Fed pretty much needs to make it just one round further in Cincy and he would be no.2 again.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, so Rogie can be anywhere from 8,065 to 9,065 by the end of Cincy? They've already removed the 1,000 points from 2014 Cincy? If so, Rogie can still finish Cincy 2015 #2 again then?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Wait, so Rogie can be anywhere from 8,065 to 9,065 by the end of Cincy? They've already removed the 1,000 points from 2014 Cincy? If so, Rogie can still finish Cincy 2015 #2 again then?

Yes. It depends on how they both do in Cincy. If Murray wins tomorrow, he adds a lot more points though and it would be harder for Federer to regain #2. If Murray loses, then he must outdo Federer in Cincy and vice versa.

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
No. A title in Montreal and then a single match victory in Cincinnati will only mean that Murray ensures Federer will need to win the title in Cincinnati to overtake him.

if Murray loses the final tomorrow and doesn't win a match in Cincinnati then I think a Federer SF in Cincinnati would mean he overtakes Murray.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'm looking at the live rankings and something looks off. How many points do you get for making a Masters Final? 600?

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about the following? Mugray doesn't win tomorrow's final (i.e. stays the same points ahead of Rogie going into Cincy that he is now)... Rogie beats Mugray in the SF in Cincy, would that do it, or would Rogie have to win the final as well?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I think the live rankings are wrong and I will tell you why. It says Murray currently has 8090 points. Based on the official rankings, Murray has 7840 points the plus the 600 for making the Montreal Final and he should have 8440. That should be where Murray sits right now. Monday, he loses 180 points and that brings him to 8260. So without winning the title, Murray currently has 8260 points.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
If Murray losses tomorrow, and then they meet in the semis at Cinci, the winner will be #2 as Federer would be ahead by 5 point if he won.

If Murray wins tomorrow and they still meet in the semis, Fed would need to win the title to take #2.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts