Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't believe I'm saying this neither ever thought I will find him exiting to some degree. I watched his both matches against Kohlscreiber, rooted against him as usual but there was something more in that match I found rather than just joy of defensive player getting exposed by superior talent. Murray himself looked more offensive, creating his own pace which was always supposed to be his weakness on clay.. His backhand was clicking in both directions which was remained solid rally shot under tutelage of Lendl, overall offensive level was good. I hesitated and in fact didn't called him pusher post match thread.

Is this something exceptional going on with his game? I never seen maintaining this level offense from match to match. Is that related to him being more healthy with back problems resolved after surgery? Bjorkman- Mauresmo effect? or Just an illusion? or contrast of playing style made those match much more enjoyable and it has nothing to do with his game?

Share your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Re: Is Murray far more existing player to watch now than he ever was?

Exciting or existing. He is not exciting so he must be existing. :p

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

He was a ghost of himself in 2014, that's true, but that'a bit of exaggeration OP, no?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Exciting or existing. He is not exciting so he must be existing. :p
10TyposCorrected.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He is exciting to watch if his consistency is in very high level... retrieving balls and hitting winners from awkward position... And he solve his oponent's game like a puzzle... yea its exciting to witness how his tennis problem solving skill works.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
As exciting as watching paint dry.

Reactions: Fastgrass

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Under Lendl he was impressive to watch, he achived levels of baseline consistancy closer to Djokovic than before. However he wasn't hugely exciting, outside of grass in 2012 and maybe Shanghai here or there (I will admit he played great in the AO 2013, probably his highest level in a slam until the 3rd set of the final).

In response to OP (slightly shocked at this, are you ill?) on clay Murray normally is forced to go for his shots a little more as he is out of his comfort zone, his matches at RG until the Nadal beatdown last year were quite good tbh

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Under Lendl he was impressive to watch, he achived levels of baseline consistancy closer to Djokovic than before. However he wasn't hugely exciting, outside of grass in 2012 and maybe Shanghai here or there (I will admit he played great in the AO 2013, probably his highest level in a slam until the 3rd set of the final).

In response to OP (slightly shocked at this, are you ill?) on clay Murray normally is forced to go for his shots a little more as he is out of his comfort zone, his matches at RG until the Nadal beatdown last year were quite good tbh
It's not just clay, even Berdych remarked that he was surprised by Murray's aggresive play. I personally think he's come full circle. He started out in 2008 as quite an offence minded player, but 4 slam final defeats made him retreat into his shell and he formulated a plan with Lendl to secure a slam win which meant becoming more of a defensive grinder as a result. He won't ever get rid of his counter puncher mindset, but it's nice to see him adding some flair back into his game again.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
It's not just clay, even Berdych remarked that he was surprised by Murray's aggresive play. I personally think he's come full circle. He started out in 2008 as quite an offence minded player, but 4 slam final defeats made him retreat into his shell and he formulated a plan with Lendl to secure a slam win which meant becoming more of a defensive grinder as a result. He won't ever get rid of his counter puncher mindset, but it's nice to see him adding some flair back into his game again.
It seems that way, I think in 2014 it was clear his back was inhibiting him in this regard.

That being said, when was the last time a destroyed a top opponent? (not that he ever did with regularity), hopefully that day will come soon.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
its Kohlschreiber for gods sake, someone who hasn't played there best tennis in years

I disagree totally. I remember watching the Miami final this year and thinking to myself 'holy shit Murray is as bad as ever to watch!'. he has good moments, but his level of the last year can be directly correlated to the 2014 US Open QF against Djokovic - fighter and good for a bit and then crumbles. Murray is like a cookie that wasn't baked long enough the oven these days, good for a bit and then totally falls apart

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He's always been good to watch when he is playing well. I admit sometimes he gets overly passive, but he can be very aggressive when he wants to, as well as having phenomenal defence.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
NO!!! he was way more entertaining to watch back in 2012 under lendl not just because of his success but also they way he played was also teriffic. He was playing great attacking tennis that year just check out Miami, Wimbledon, Olympics Us open shanghai, just to name a few

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There's no point wasting tickets to go watch a Murray match. It's the exactly the same as recording yourself on the phone in potato quality playing against the wall while having your eyes closed and using your imagination.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No. He is as boring as always.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
He didn't just start playing this way. Anyone who watched him v. Dimitrov, among others in AO, can attest to that. Under what I can assume is Mauresmo's guidance, Andy is consistently playing closer to and on top of the baseline.

I'm not forgetting all of the passive performances he produced in Indian Wells or Miami or anything, but he seems to be in the process of making this a more routine thing. He's just inherently much more proactive because of this.

To answer the thread question though, no, he's not. He was very exciting back in '08 and '09 when he was showing off tons of variety. For easy reference, watch his matches in USO '08 or Wimbledon '09. The guy was showing off an assortment of talent. I'll never forget, for instance, the net clinic he put on Nadal @ USO '08.

I do have to admit, that despite being very effective under Lendl in opting to play more aggressively during big points (after seemingly abandoning the notion of it from 2010-2011), he became much more monotonous in his style of play. As a fan, this Murray is much more interesting than that version, I have to say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts