Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL at this article from the Daily Telegraph. Tennischick, I almost put this in your Bladder thread. Maybe Mark had a reason for his Wimbledon run besides the glory of it.:eek:

Cost of Scud's playboy lifestyle
By PAUL MULVEY in London
08jul03

WHETHER he's deep in debt or not, the $706,000 Wimbledon runner's up cheque will be a welcome boost to Mark Philippoussis's coffers.

Rumours circulating for some time that Philippoussis was in financial trouble were fuelled yesterday when his former coach Pat Cash claimed he had spent millions of dollars on cars, motor bikes, houses, women and an extravagant social life.

Cash claimed Philippoussis dumped coach Peter McNamara in March for financial reasons and needed to quickly make money.

Philippoussis sold most of his cars and what Cash claimed were $7.37 million worth of empty houses last year – sparking speculation that he was having money problems.

"But the financial scars apparently still remain and the need to earn some money has become paramount in the past few months," Cash wrote in his column in British newspaper The Sunday Times.

Philippoussis' agent Brian Cooney refused to comment on the speculation and whether the world No. 20 desperately needed the prizemoney.

"I don't want to comment on that article. It's nobody's business really," Cooney said. "But anyone that makes $706,000, I reckon if you gave anyone that, it'd be significant."

Reaching the Wimbledon final would also help attract potential sponsors. Cash didn't just comment on Philippoussis's financial affairs, claiming his active sex life had affected his career.

The 1987 Wimbledon champion claimed Philippoussis spent the night before a match at the Australian Open in bed with Russian player Anna Kournikova and celebrated reaching the semi-finals of the 1998 US Open by going to a strip club.

"One of the trickiest problems I encountered was how do you tell a fit, eligible young man that it's probably not a good idea to spend the night with Anna Kournikova before a big match," Cash wrote.

The News of the World also focused on Philippoussis's sex life yesterday in an interview with former girlfriend Melanie Maudran, who said he insisted on having sex before matches, including just before going on to Centre Court at Wimbledon.

The Sunday Sport published an old photo of Philippoussis cavorting with a topless dancer after Australia's Davis Cup win in France in 1999.

"You just shrug your shoulders, what can you do? The Cash thing was disappointing," Cooney said.

"What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room, doesn't it?

"I don't think people need to do stuff like that."

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ooooooooooooouuuuuu, scandalous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOT HOT HOT!!! Tennis needs more people like Mark then, hehehe. I am sick of the gooshiness from Lleyton and Federer and their 8 year romances! More SEX! More SCANDAL! More STRIPPERS! More STRANGE FETISHES! More More more-- this is what the ATP needs, starting now!

Brilliant Cash, brilliant

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
cash is an asshole but he might be right this time on mark...or maybe he's just jealous as always? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Pat Cash has a big mouth and needs to shut it once in a while. Remember that book he wrote last year and how he bashed former student Greg Rusedski for having resentment towards Tim Henman? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
LMAO!!!! c'mon TF, this definitely belongs in the Bladder thread. it's hilarious!! :)

i guess Anna is one expensive lay. and if sex before matches works for the guy, what the heck is wrong with that? his problem is that he is surrounded by blabber-mouths. at least Anna had the decency to keep her trap shut! ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The article might be a bunch of rubbish! :p

Pat Cash comes off looking like a fool! :D

And when his career is finished, Mark Philippoussis might very well be known as one of the all time major underachievers in the history of men's tennis. It's too bad really. But he let the money go to his head.

What is the Bladder thread?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"One of the trickiest problems I encountered was how do you tell a fit, eligible young man that it's probably not a good idea to spend the night with Anna Kournikova before a big match," Cash wrote.
I wonder if this happened when La Kournikova was married:confused:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I wonder if this happened when La Kournikova was married:confused:
Ooooooaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, damn! That would be awesome!! Scandeeelous

1 - 9 of 9 Posts