Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Magnus Norman the greatest coach of all time?

• Obviously

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Magnus Norman the best coach of all time?

First SoderKing, now Stan the man have gone from mental midgets to mental giants late in their careers with less than a year of Norman's coaching. Any coach can ride a good player to some wins or take an awful player and make them competent, but to take long term headcases and make them winners, motivate them to get fit, and keep them improving their games is remarkable. Especially comparing the talent but muggery of Berdych who still hasn't worked on his 2nd serve, movement, and mental toughness (probably because he doesn't have to, he's a millionaire) to Wawrinka who is having a career rebirth at 28 :worship:

Especially with all these celebrity coaches who are mostly hot air like Lendl, Edberg, and Becker, Norman quietly goes about his work and works miracles. Does anyone know more about the secret of Norman's success? Coaching is a fascinating aspect of the sport that rarely gets talked about but can make all the difference.

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
Re: Is Magnus Norman the best coach of all time?

The reason coaching rarely gets talked about is because it's all behind the scenes in tennis so we have very little insight of what real effects it has.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The reason coaching rarely gets talked about is because it's all behind the scenes in tennis so we have very little insight of what real effects it has.
True, all we get are little hints. Like against Berdych Stan would hit a big serve at an important moment and point to his head while looking at his box. Obviously Norman told him something which helps him focus. Also both Soderling and Stan have very low key celebrations, definitely has something to do with Norman. I think it's interesting to guess because so called "great" coaches like Roger Rasheed and Todd Martin couldn't do anything with their players, and mediocre players usually make the best coaches :p

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

What ? :lol:

The best coach of all time is this man who transformed a clay court player in the GOAT of tennis.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

True, all we get are little hints. Like against Berdych Stan would hit a big serve at an important moment and point to his head while looking at his box. Obviously Norman told him something which helps him focus. Also both Soderling and Stan have very low key celebrations, definitely has something to do with Norman. I think it's interesting to guess because so called "great" coaches like Roger Rasheed and Todd Martin couldn't do anything with their players, and mediocre players usually make the best coaches :p
Magnus wasn't a mediocre player if that's what you're implying.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts

The OP obviously knows nothing about Becker's coaching potential, not that I blame him though

·
Registered
22,455 Posts

Yes. Both Söderling and Wawrinka were among the biggest chokers and underachievers on tour and he turned them around.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts

Coaches can focus on different things. But yes on tour right now Norman is probably the best at changing the mentality of underachievers. Lendl too, but he had better raw material to work with. Neither of Soderking or Wawrinka had reached a slam final before (Soderling had only reached slam R3!).

What ? :lol:

The best coach of all time is this man who transformed a clay court player in the GOAT of tennis.
What uncle phony did (taking a kid and training him almost to death, basically ruining his childhood) was only tolerated because they were related. He would never be able to do that with someone else (they would quit). So no. He's an intelligent (and imo unpleasant) man who knows his tennis, but not the best coach.

Also stop talking about Nadal as the GOAT ffs, who actually believes that.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts

I like this thread. :yeah:

The coaching aspects and their effects are seldom discussed. We should some evident comparison between the players' past and current form and style to play to get some insight into the effects of coaching.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

I'd like to see what he would do with one of the top french player (Monfils,Tsonga or Gasquet).....probably would be a too big challenge, even for him:lol::lol:

·
Registered
6,876 Posts

I don't think so. But he is up there with the best. He only coaches hard hitting hot head chokers. If he starts coaching a different type of player and gets results then yes. He is like Bollittieri right now.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts

he was a great player too :hearts:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Aye, Norman obviously knows what he's doing.

Once he's done making Stan king of the comic strips, I'd suggest he takes up a real challenge and coach Monfils. If his hair isn't receding by the end of that, I'll concede that he is the greatest.

Reactions: Eden and Orka_n

·
Registered
5,068 Posts

Best of 2014 but not of all time. Too hard to say of all time.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

He's certainly one of the best.

I'm no Nadal fan but i actually think Uncle Tony is really the best coach and tactician in the game. I don't think any coach has impacted a player's career as much as Tony has impacted Rafa's.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts