·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Yup :D

·
Registered
27,194 Posts
Of course he's a phenomenon.

It's not his fault the other "top players" are head cases.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I knew he would be a phenom back in 1997!:eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
HELL YEAH!
First the obvious: youngest #1 ever,

2) compared to Andre who at 21 had 1 slam and Pete 21 who had 1 slam Lleyton has 2,

3)At 21 he has 16/17? title Pete had 18,

4)at 16 turns pro, beats Andre Agassi who in 98 was at the top of his game and gets first professional title.

5) last year he had an 80-17 win loss record

6) has been on top of the entry rankings list since dec 2001

These are just the stats I have in my head, more research is required unless someone else can put up more info. I know there's lots more.

This is for the romance fans:) also I don't know if that's a mark of a phenom or not but he accomplished all this while maintaining a high profile long term relationship

Are you asking for a comparison to the current group of 18-22 year old on the circuit or a comparison to past greats?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
yeah he is a phenomenonal shithead. and yeah he plays great tennis too! :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I don't think he will win as many grandslams as pete or even andre. He has beaten many top guys in the regular tournamens. However, I think in his grandslams victories, he has not faced the top contenders like federer, safin, or haas. If he beats these guys consistently on his way to win more grandslams then I will admit he is a phenomenon.

But I don't think he will last that long in the number one spot.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Rebecca, this wasn't actually to be a Llkeyi thread to drool over Lleyton, but dude, I am all for it!!! Lleyton rocks!! Anyway, I was just curious if people considered him a real phenomenom, who is just dominating like crazy--impossible to beat... and I think that makes for a great debate. It's a serious question.

...Marly, hahahaha!!!!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
His mind control and focus is phenomenal.
He is a great player, but what makes him get to the top is the mind and his anticipation. If any of you have the opportunity to see him play live, just check him on defensive. The opponent is not even hitting the ball yet and he is already running to the place where it is gonna be hit. :eek:

As much as I dont like him I have to admit that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well he just lost to Rusedski . But that does not worry me he had a sucky lead up to last year's USOPEN also but what I'd like to know is: does anyone know if he's happy with the way he played like after he lost to Moya or does he feel that his game is not there? Basically I'm asking where is his confidence level?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I don't think he is happy with the Moya match because he even stated that he knows he's got to work on taking the big points better...something he didn't do in that match.

I agree with the anticipation thing...that's why Moya troubled him so much. No one can tell where he's gonna go with the forehand and he wasn't missing either, like Gonzalez. And net rushers like Rusedski have to be on top of their game to beat him. Volleys cut off return time. Hewitt gets all over Sampras because he anticipates the serve better and usually passes him at will. Both Moya and Rusedski involve a slow ball game then generate pace only to attack...Moya from the back court and Rusedski from the net. This also garners more errors from Hewitt when he tries to attack.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
absoluetly lurker. it's the lack of pace that seems to throw hewitt off -- and greg is really good at slicing and dicing the ball and forcing you to generate your own pace. that and deep topspin (Moya) seem to be the key to beating hewitt. and the more guys that figure this out, the more he will have dificculty avoiding being peeled. however his lead at #1 is so huge that he won't be passed any time soon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts