Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I grew up watching Formula 1 with my dad and we were rooting for Michael since the Benetton days. There's no doubt Hamilton is a great talent, but what sets the two apart for me is their non-championship-winning seasons. Some great seasons there, some great drama, especially in the early Ferrari years, with 2006 a good one to cap it all off.

Ferrari was only as dominant as MGP is in years like 2001, 2002 and 2004 - as opposed to the seven straight year's we've had of Silver Arrow dominance, during which they were only challenged for half a season in 2017 and 2018 - interestingly, seasons in which Hamilton really showed his quality under pressure. More of that would do his legacy good.

There is often talk about how important Schumacher was to Ferrari's improved fortunes, leaving as world champion to a middling team. His presence revitalized Ferrari and allowed it to build around him, making them spectacular to watch even when winning titles was still three years away. Hamilton arrived at MGP in 2013, when much of the heavy lifting had been done, the team was on track to get the powerhouse engine that their success was built upon a year later.

As for Michael's unsporting moments, he was a product of his time, with plenty examples to draw inspiration from in the 80s and early 90s. I rather enjoy this complexity, nobody's perfect and seeing how that affects someone is a fascinating thing. Would he take back Jerez 97, Monaco 06, Hungary 10? I think he hasn't been apologetic about any of them and probably we won't have the chance to find out if he truly regrets those decisions.

Formula 1 has changed a lot in my short 25 years of watching it, so I can only imagine how this must all look to those with even more backstory. I'll always treasure the 90s and 00s, with the 10s leaving me more dejected, but I have no idea whether that's because of something truly objective. The sound and feeling of that V10, oh man.
Lets hope Mick can get that F2 title and bring the Schumacher name back into the sport, it would be a very nice thing to see.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, the name is officially back :)

I just hope Mick can be competitive enough to earn a drive in a race-winning team. He seems a capable, if unspectacular racing driver, but that can be enough with more experience and the right car. More than that, he's been humble in all his media appearances, looks like a very disciplined guy. Winning the F2 title would do well for his CV and his ability to perform under pressure.

·
Bring it Home
21,334 Posts
He would be 4th in my top 5 list.

1. Schumacher.
2. Senna.
3. Prost.
4. Hamilton.
5. Alonso.

* Only drivers I watched on this list.

From the ones I didn't watch and based on highlights, I'd say Fangio and Clark were better too.

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
It's between Senna and Schumi. I'm going with Senna. The most skilled driver ever.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
He would be 4th in my top 5 list.

1. Schumacher.
2. Senna.
3. Prost.
4. Hamilton.
5. Alonso.

* Only drivers I watched on this list.

From the ones I didn't watch and based on highlights, I'd say Fangio and Clark were better too.
Where is Damon Hill?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
LOL no. Just no.

F1 is such garbage these days I have to explain that when I loved F1, it has nothing to do with what it is today to people.

The F1 GOATs are Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna, in that order, followed by Michael Schumacher.

Hamilton and any of the whiz kids today are nothing, they just play computer games.

·
Bring it Home
21,334 Posts
With his car still good, but not as dominant as the previous years, Hamilton is being exposed as hell this year.

Verstappen, with a slightly better car, schooling him every single weekend.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
With his car still good, but not as dominant as the previous years, Hamilton is being exposed as hell this year.

Verstappen, with a slightly better car, schooling him every single weekend.
Don't like Hamilton, but in his defense without the last 2 wins Verstappen probably wouldn't even be first. Austrian GP is Red Bull's home race. With a clearly worse car Verstappen won it in 2018 and 2019 (retired in 2020). So it's only understandable that he won it both times this year. It's like a freebie. Verstappen is a favourite to win the Driver's Championship this year, but wouldn't be surprised if another miraculous Hamilton escape happens.

·
Premium Member
26,430 Posts
Reactions: yellow grass

·
Bring it Home
21,334 Posts
Don't like Hamilton, but in his defense without the last 2 wins Verstappen probably wouldn't even be first. Austrian GP is Red Bull's home race. With a clearly worse car Verstappen won it in 2018 and 2019 (retired in 2020). So it's only understandable that he won it both times this year. It's like a freebie. Verstappen is a favourite to win the Driver's Championship this year, but wouldn't be surprised if another miraculous Hamilton escape happens.
Max actually won 4 of the last 5 and he was leading easily in Baku too, before one of his tires exploded.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yes, Hamilton is the GOAT now that he's tied with Schumacher. He holds most race wins, most podiums, most poles, and the best race win% with the exception of Fangio.

He's a faster and better driver than Schumacher, and in his prime wasn't a prone to driving other drivers off race-tracks to gain an unfair advantage.

The only guy that competes with him is Senna in terms of pure racing ability and speed. Verstappen will be up there in a few years once he actually starts to build on his F1 CV.

·
Bring it Home
21,334 Posts
Oh snap..Hamilton has only 3 wins. My mistake. Even without Austrian GP wins, Max would be ahead of him. Yeah... RIP Hamilton's chances.
I wouldn't say RIP, but Max is the heavy favorite.

I believe we are in a very strong F1 era actually. Some very good young drivers: Russell and Norris are great, Gasly and Leclerc pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I wouldn't say RIP, but Max is the heavy favorite.

I believe we are in a very strong F1 era actually. Some very good young drivers: Russell and Norris are great, Gasly and Leclerc pretty good too.
I like Perez. Massive upgrade from Albon. Wasn't Russell Mercs dev driver, or something like that? Future champ for sure. Norris too.

·
Bring it Home
21,334 Posts
I like Perez. Massive upgrade from Albon. Wasn't Russell Mercs dev driver, or something like that? Future champ for sure. Norris too.
Yes, Russell will drive for Mercedes next year, I guess Lewis didn't like it. Lol

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Fangio, Senna, and Schumacher are ahead.
The more i think about it the more obvious it gets that Hamilton is a hack with his inflated resume... Verstappen is actually showing he is better than Hamilton. Make no mistakes the Red Bull is still a worse car than the Mercedes...

·
Premium Member
10,647 Posts
Schumacher at the top is a no. Applied methods from the Tonya Harding school to succeed.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts