Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just passed M. Shumacher’s former all time record of 91 wins, now at 92. Does Fed reach out to the Schumachers in commiseration w/ parallel careers as GOAT?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
No, it's the result of his opponents driving round in lorries while he drives round in a flying machine. It's like a big three tennis player playing in a wheelchair tennis competitions whilst being allowed to play without the chair.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
no, the car plays too big of a role in F1 to suggest one driver is the greatest of all time it is absolutely impossible to say who was the best driver, the only measure Hamilton can have truly is his teammate on any given day, unless he has a car which is extremely comparable to those behind which isnt the case right now.

If i had to do a list of who i think stand out in every generation:

2010s Hamilton is the top driver, with Vettel, Rosberg, Verstappen and Alonso right up there

2000s: Schumacher is the top driver along with Alonso, Raikonnen, Coulthard, Montoya, Hamilton and Button

1990s: a tricky one I'd say Senna was top though here especially given his untimely death. Along w/ Schumacher, Prost, Hill, Hakkinen, Villeneuve

1980s: I'd say Prost w/ Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Lauda, and K. Rosberg

1970s: Lauda w/ Stewart, Hunt, Fittipaldi

1960s: Clark w/ G. Hill, Brabham, Surtees

1950s: Fangio undoubtedly w/ Ascari, Hawthorn and Moss

For me the F1 Championship is too dependent on the car that you cannot say for certainty that say Verstappen in a mercedes wouldn't beat Hamilton convincingly, or that Schumacher would never have won his ferrari championships with Hakkinen as a team mate, it is more of a constructors sport than anything.

In my heart I will always be a Schumacher fan and I am cheering on his son in the much more interesting imo Formula 2 series where the cars are actually pretty even :)

Though if I had to pick one driver as the GOAT in F1 which is not something i believe in it would be Fangio, he won 5 titles with 4 different manufacturers in a time when cars were brittle, dangerous and driver skill meant even more- he won 46.15% of all f1 races he entered: legendary.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
In formula 1, the car is extremely important. Without a competitive car, you really can't win anything. Knowing that, I think counting grand prix wins alone isn't enough to determine a GOAT. I think you have to take the situations into consideration. The GOAT could still be Senna or Schumacher, even with fewer wins and championships.

So to answer your question, not necessarily.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can't get into this sport because the car makes the biggest difference. I prefer sports like cycling and tennis.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I can't get into this sport because the car makes the biggest difference. I prefer sports like cycling and tennis.
Yup, car played a kay part in Hamilton's records but the same can be said about Schumacher's Ferrari time (he won two at Benetton, which wasn't dominant though). I'm not a fan of F1 but I like MotoGP. Way more excitement in motorbike races (for a simple reason: easy overtaking).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Formula 1 has been pathetically uninteresting for the better part of the last decade. Hamilton was just the one guy to have had by far the best car most of the time. Also, Bottas is laughably bad most of the time (Rosberg was much tougher competition but decided to call it a day too soon), so to add to the lack of competition from other teams he's also had it easier than anyone else I can recall in that regard.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Formula 1 has been pathetically uninteresting for the better part of the last decade. Hamilton was just the one guy to have had by far the best car most of the time. Also, Bottas is laughably bad most of the time (Rosberg was much tougher competition but decided to call it a day too soon), so to add to the lack of competition from other teams he's also had it easier than anyone else I can recall in that regard.
yeah there were a couple of years when Vettel could have challenged, but he was too inconsistent himself, he is a shadow of his former self this season.

Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Are you saying that if George Russell raced a Mercedes with the Petronas team instead of the Williams team drives with, he would have been the GOAT of F1 like Hamilton?

·
Registered
356 Posts
People will call him goat in 2030, now everybody is bored about what is happening in f1. same stuff went on with Schumacher in his prime Ferrari years. People somehow forget that Schumacher had the best car as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Also imagine winning 92 races for different teams, and people still doubt about your skill. Lewis is so fckin consistent, almost never crashes, he is a god when it comes to tyre management, he has almost won a title in his rookie year while being a teammate of Fernando Alonso. In 2016 he lost to Rosberg cause of some mechanical problems, otherwise he would've won in that year too. Also, Bottas is a pretty good driver, but he is competing against a GOAT, people can't realize that. Just check his Williams years to understand it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ok. Let us os do the comparison between tennis Big 4 and F1 ATGs.

Federer = Michael Schumacher.

Nadal = Niki Lauda.

Djokovic = Nelson Picquet.

Murray = Nigel Mansell.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Formula One sucks anyway . It must be more than 20 years since I gave a damn

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Goat discussion is pathologic. You people are mentally unwell. Anyway there is no goat in F1, and if there is one its Senna, Prost, Fangio or maybe Schumacher.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts