Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 French Open titles, World #1. But a relatively short and stuttered career marked by many injuries (only 14 mil in career prize money says quite a lot)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think he is comparable to Rafter (who would be slightly behind him). Despite only really mustering a quality half decade over a similar time frame, if that, they both had the sort of charisma which elevates their legacy.

Funnily enough, they both had 358 career match wins. Kuerten won more titles and had the YE1/YEC, but Rafter reached the SF stage at all 4 slams, plus had some doubles and Davis Cup success.

Both very comparable, although I think Kuerten going 3-0 at one of the slams, plus winning more M1000, will enhance his legacy that fraction more. Not to mention Kuerten did a lot of this by 25 before injuries, whereas Rafter only really got going then and was a late bloomer. Rafter probably needed a Wimbledon to cap off his grass game, or a home AO.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I doubt it. He has been disqualified by the actions of his fans on MTF. I would blame smoking weed but the problem is probably deeper.

·
External factor expert
4,211 Posts
I dont think he deserves it. Only a chosen few who reached 8+ slams should be considered HOF material. Keep the demands high so we can separate Legends from players like Murray.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
MIchael Chang is in the HOF with 1 FO, a few grand slam finals, and a #2 ranking. So, yes, Kuerten definitely belongs there. I tend to think anyone with a #1 ranking and at least one grand slam should be there.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Of course he is. If Michael Chang with one FO was HOF worthy, than Guga with three certainly is.

How is this even a question?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I dont think he deserves it. Only a chosen few who reached 8+ slams should be considered HOF material. Keep the demands high so we can separate Legends from players like Murray.
I AGREE, but considering some others who are in the Hall, he deserves to be there. If, as some her think, Roddick makes the HOF then certainly Gustavo deserves to be in there too. As far as I know, Kuerten is already in the HOF.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Murray will definitely there even he will mug the rest of his career, they still can prove to you that he's the best of his generation, the generation before and the generation after.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Definitely.

Achievement wise he's on the limit i guess, but as a person and ambassador of the sport, mixed with his achievements, he definitely is a hall of famer indeed.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
There have been 25 #1 players since the current rankings began in the early 70's. How many people worldwide have played competitive tennis?

There's your answer.

Perspective, please.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
There have been 25 #1 players since the current rankings began in the early 70's. How many people worldwide have played competitive tennis?

There's your answer.

Perspective, please.
it's not the best argument imo, as Haas is among the even less players getting up to #2, out of tens of thousands, yet he's still not a hall of fame figure.

3 Slams is huge though. If we kept only players with more than that in the HOF, it shouldn't be a Hall, but a shelf.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts