Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I follow the Women don't seem to be scared of Serena or Azarenka, in Grand Slams or not, if they are playing 3rd round level tennis, they WILL lose in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round as expected, while with the men we have injured Big 4 member or he's playing awful (sometimes BOTH :eek: ) still they reach Masters/Grand Slam finals with opponent after opponent choking like clockwork :facepalm: :bowdown: Also I've seen the women go for their shots significantly more from the baseline rather than just pounding 2 feet on either side from the middle. What do you think ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Not true at all.

Women only play best of 3 at slams, men play best of 5. A lot of times you'll see members of the Big 4 get taken out in a masters 1000 or a 500, but rarely in the slams because winning 3 sets against them is so incredibly difficult. If you were to make the WTA play best of 5 at the slams (God help us if that ever happens) I'm sure you'd see fewer upsets.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
From what I follow the Women don't seem to be scared of Serena or Azarenka, in Grand Slams or not, if they are playing 3rd round level tennis, they WILL lose in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round as expected, while with the men we have injured Big 4 member or he's playing awful (sometimes BOTH :eek: ) still they reach Masters/Grand Slam finals with opponent after opponent choking like clockwork :facepalm: :bowdown: Also I've seen the women go for their shots significantly more from the baseline rather than just pounding 2 feet on either side from the middle. What do you think ?
Even though it is abudently clear you have been sent from the women's tennis forum (the sister site to this one) to come and troll us, I am going to never-the-less answer your question.

The answer no. Never. Ever. I'm not being sexist, it's just a no.

- Men have stronger forearms and wrists, so they are able to develop games which involve hitting with a lot more topspin. This means they naturally have a lot more control over their shots and thus more margin for any potential error. Most women on the other hand are either very wristy like Radwanska or ballbashing flat hitters of the ball, ala Kvitova, Hampton.

If you HIT with TOPSPIN, you are able to control the direction you're hitting the ball in with a little more ease than if you are hitting it with completely no topspin whatsoever. This serves you better under important crux moments during and throughout a match. How-many times have Nadal miss-hits a forehand and it loops in?

Topspin allows a player to feel nervous and get away with being slightly "off-time" on their shot, and/or miss manage their "technique". If you hit with more flatness, this is not the case. You have to be more spot on. Why does Nadal never miss? Because he hits with 5 meter netclearance using excessive levels of topsin. (RPM)

- Big serving and big weapons also play factor. Earning yourself those cheap points in times of trouble. Most women don't have the serve and weapons to buy themselves out of having to endure a long rally through times of woe.

- Ability to "muscle through the tension you're feeling". Muscling the ball, as opposed to "feeling" it. Where you are more incontact with your technique which can be affected by tension.

- Females in general worry more about things, a bit more than men, causing them to choke up and lose more often. This one is probably the one most of us believe to be the majority of the cause / most causes. You play your best when you don't think, but just do. Intuition. Like the Nike advert: Just Do It.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Young generation is not mentally weaker they lacks Killer instincts and talent in most of the cases. Lower generation including Thiem, Kyrgios have much better attitude than
Dimitri/Nishikori/Raonic.

·
23,063 Posts
Well, I guess within their circles I kind of agree that mentality doesn't seem to be far in between, with the BO3 making it more susceptible to upsets. That being said, I think they are scared of Serena in a degree but Serena does get implosions from time to time but also the opponent fighting well. That being said there have been many instances this year where Sharapova -- who is not in her best form and was almost bounced off the Top 10 this year -- where they win the 1st Set, Sharapova wins the 2nd then they kind of fade. I think it has been a while where Sharapova was beaten after winning at least a Set. The youngsters of WTA have been quite consistently stepping up though although the best youngsters of ATP are quite climbing up the ranks too.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Not true at all.

In WTA they have a lot of upsets because everyone can beat everyone there, and I really mean everyone.
Back in the years Serena lost in Wimbledon against a complete mug, in comparison Cornet is the GOAT.
Women's level is pretty much all the same except the top 3-4.

And that's doesn't mean they are mentally stronger.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
False. You can't really compare IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
WTA is very mentally weak. Anytime they face a bit of adversity, I swear players crash like nothing i've ever seen before...double faults, ugly errors, choking, etc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not true at all.

In WTA they have a lot of upsets because everyone can beat everyone there, and I really mean everyone.
Back in the years Serena lost in Wimbledon against a complete mug, in comparison Cornet is the GOAT.
Women's level is pretty much all the same except the top 3-4.

And that's doesn't mean they are mentally stronger.
This.

It's not a mental difference, it's that the WTA tour, today, is incredibly competitive where it's almost impossible to predict the winner.

Look at the odds for the upcoming matches; Rafa and Roger are 1.030/1.050 to win their next match. Andy is 1.050 as well. Novak is 1.083 and he's playing Tsonga!

Over at the WTA, no one is in the 1.0s.

As sad as it is, the WTA has more upsets which is always welcome for the partial follower of the game.

We rarely see this in the ATP tour, also - like someone correctly said already - because it's best of 5.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
^Sabine Lisicki.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Even though it is abudently clear you have been sent from the women's tennis forum (the sister site to this one) to come and troll us, I am going to never-the-less answer your question.

- Men have stronger forearms and wrists, so they are able to develop games which involve hitting with a lot more topspin. This means they naturally have a lot more control over their shots and thus more margin for any potential error. Most women on the other hand are either very wristy like Radwanska or ballbashing flat hitters of the ball, ala Kvitova, Hampton.

If you HIT with TOPSPIN, you are able to control the direction you're hitting the ball in with a little more ease than if you are hitting it with completely no topspin whatsoever. This serves you better under important crux moments during and throughout a match. How-many times have Nadal miss-hits a forehand and it loops in?

Topspin allows a player to feel nervous and get away with being slightly "off-time" on their shot, and/or miss manage their "technique". If you hit with more flatness, this is not the case. You have to be more spot on. Why does Nadal never miss? Because he hits with 5 meter netclearance using excessive levels of topsin. (RPM)

- Big serving and big weapons also play factor. Earning yourself those cheap points in times of trouble. Most women don't have the serve and weapons to buy themselves out of having to endure a long rally through times of woe.

- Ability to "muscle through the tension you're feeling". Muscling the ball, as opposed to "feeling" it. Where you are more incontact with your technique which can be affected by tension.

- Females in general worry more about things, a bit more than men, causing them to choke up and lose more often. This one is probably the one most of us believe to be the majority of the cause / most causes. You play your best when you don't think, but just do. Intuition. Like the Nike advert: Just Do It.
Credit where it's due, good post :hatoff:

·
Registered
83 Posts

Yes. You. Are. I don´t know you, but you just are.

Females in general worry more about things, a bit more than men, causing them to choke up and lose more often. This one is probably the one most of us believe to be the majority of the cause / most causes. You play your best when you don't think, but just do. Intuition. Like the Nike advert: Just Do It.
This proves it. Females worry more about things why? About what type of things do they worry? And would this also be true for the female tennis players? I mean, surely, they worry a lot about having to do the dishes, cleaning the house, taking care of the kids, making sure there's dinner, right? How is that related to the tennis courts?

And the rest of your story is a bunch of nonsense about male players having more control over the ball, which has nothing to do with their mentality.

·
Registered
734 Posts
- Best of 5 for men allow less upsets.

- Top WTA players choke more often than top ATP players.

- Young WTA players are less afraid of top WTA players while the same is not true in the ATP. Many young stars are just happy for the opportunity to play against Federer/Nadal especially.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
^Men only play best of 5 matches for 4 tournaments a year. (5 if you include Davis Cup) Not really a valid point.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
you clearly don't watch a lot of WTA tennis OP, considering Serena Williams generally nearly double bagels the majority of her opposition, and this season in particular is just not doing as well

the WTA has been infamously weak in terms of depth of field and talent for years now. granted, the top of their game (besides Serena) has been pretty poor too so you will see lower ranked players have success here and there

but you are really very off base

1 - 20 of 51 Posts