Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Djokovic play first strike tennis?

• No, his style will win him enough slams for the next few years.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Yes, I agree.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Agree that he should be somewhat more offensive minded on the biggest stages.

Votes: 17 44.7%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face the facts, he is already 28 and it's hard to see him grinding past everyone (especially now that young guns like Kokkinakis, Krygios, Coric, etc. are emerging) as he reaches his 30s. We saw what happened against Wawrinka at the French, Anderson at Wimby, Nishikori at USO last year, and most embarrassing of all Murray at USO 2012/Wimby 2013.

As a huge No1e fan, I feel like he still has all the tools to develop one (especially with his new and improved service), but it won't be easy breaking old routines.

·
6,723 Posts
Re: Is it time for No1e to develop a first strike offensive game?

No he does not.
He can win ugly, or whatever it takes to win.
As current holder of 2 of the 4 Slams, and red hot favourite heading into New York, there is nothing to change right now.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No he does not.
He can win ugly, or whatever it takes to win.
As current holder of 2 of the 4 Slams, and red hot favourite heading into New York, there is nothing to change right now.
My critic is not about the aesthetic appeal of his game. I'm just asking my fellow No1e fans if his style will still be the most effective way to win in his 30s.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts

You sure do have a habit of mentioning before every post that you're a huge Nole fan. I wonder why?
Because before June 3rd 2015 he was a huge Nadal fan.
So huge that he held it impossible that Novak could beat Rafa at RG. :superlol:

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You sure do have a habit of mentioning before every post that you're a huge Nole fan. I wonder why?
Because of false allegations in the No1e community that I am a DA by the one and only LeChico and his LeMinions.

·
-Oracle-
2,070 Posts

Well, I think he should... But then again, thinking objectively, having him change his game at 28 might do more harm than good.

His semi-passive game will surely win him a few more slams in the future(mind you, I don't believe he'll reach 14), but it will also be harder to keep up once he reaches 30.

The big downfall of a passive game-style is that you always run into the risk of meeting a motivated aggressive ball-striker who will simply hit you off the court on a good day.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Backhand do you ever watch Novak play? He has one of the best resturns of serve in history. He doesnt have to force a point. Because he will see an error from his opponent more times than he makes one.

His serve is improving by the month. And thats gotta be worrying for everyone. Forget Murray that time slot was DESTINY doing its thing for the Brit. He had his year of glory. Now its back to real history making for Novak. When Novak goes double figures in slams. Hopefully more of you will start to see what I ALREADY SEE. Novak is a better player than he has ever been. And he is on his way to a walk through history, that threatens all of the top 5 of alltime. A few years from now. I wont have to force feed anyone this fact.

It will be there in additional slam count and masters.victories.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Backhand do you ever watch Novak play? He has one of the best resturns of serve in history. He doesnt have to force a point. Because he will see an error from his opponent more times than he makes one.

His serve is improving by the month. And thats gotta be worrying for everyone. Forget Murray that time slot was DESTINY doing its thing for the Brit. He had his year of glory. Now its back to real history making for Novak. When Novak goes double figures in slams. Hopefully more of you will start to see what I ALREADY SEE. Novak is a better player than he has ever been. And he is on his way to a walk through history, that threatens all of the top 5 of alltime. A few years from now. I wont have to force feed anyone this fact.

It will be there in additional slam count and masters.victories.
Not sure if he is better then in 2011, but I admire your belief in his current style of play and hope you are indeed correct.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts

Unfortunately he didn't change his grinding style but he improved his serve a lot. Now he has a lot of cheap points.
Kinda of mix "serverbot-grinder"

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

OP is desperate.
Desperate for at least one RG title and improved USO record then yes, yes I am.

·
6,723 Posts

My critic is not about the aesthetic appeal of his game. I'm just asking my fellow No1e fans if his style will still be the most effective way to win in his 30s.
Assuming you are serious, he will not be 30 until May 2017, and yes may have to tweak his game a little by then, and try to shorten the points.
Right now stick with what is working, and whilst he can rely on his extraordinary flexibility and retrieving ability.
Wawrinka won RG this year at 30 don't forget, and Boris did acknowledge that Novak was too tentative and too defensive in that final.
Watch and listen to Boris's interview:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/interactive/multimedia.html?video=4350834984001

I am sure Boris will continue to work on Novak's game as he ages, so that he continues to adapt and evolve, assuming Boris doesn't step down due to family commitments and/or pursue other interests in the next year or so. (like Lendl did with Murray after 2 years).

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts

Yes, Djokovic is really struggling this year with his current gameplan. Coric, Kokkinakis and Kyrgios are really squeezing him out.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yes, Djokovic is really struggling this year with his current gameplan. Coric, Kokkinakis and Kyrgios are really squeezing him out.
Do you know how to read? Again I didn't say this year, when he reaches his 30s. It's called future speculation.

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts

Fairly sure the thread title says "Is it time for (Djokovic) to develop a first strike offensive game?" It is not the time for him to change anything - if he starts actually struggling with his current style then it could be time to consider it, but if you think it's a good idea for him to drastically change his game style during one of his best ever years just so he can be supposedly be better prepared to deal with Coric and Kyrgios in several years time then that's up to you :shrug:

Though I've just realised you are just a troll DA and not even a Djokovic fan so it was only a thread meant to insult Djokovic rather than even a question.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts

He's been so poor this year, all those matches he lost in M1000 and Grand Slams sure show he has to change his game.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

He needs to show determination and not to be passive, that is all. He doesn't need any particular change in his game because he already has what it takes to dominate any opponent.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Fairly sure the thread title says "Is it time for (Djokovic) to develop a first strike offensive game?" It is not the time for him to change anything - if he starts actually struggling with his current style then it could be time to consider it, but if you think it's a good idea for him to drastically change his game style during one of his best ever years just so he can be supposedly be better prepared to deal with Coric and Kyrgios in several years time then that's up to you :shrug:

Though I've just realised you are just a troll DA and not even a Djokovic fan so it was only a thread meant to insult Djokovic rather than even a question.
Ok so you only read the title and made your own assumptions. You can't change play style overnight once things start going awry, but then again as a Murray fan what would you know about winning style?

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

He needs to show determination and not to be passive, that is all. He doesn't need any particular change in his game because he already has what it takes to dominate any opponent.
Fair enough, so you agree with option 3.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts