Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is still "a big four" with Novak/Rafa/Federer/Murray?

• Yes, all four are still the dominating quartet of the tour

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • No, Murray has dropped off and is no longer considered part of the top elite

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Too early to say one way or another

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question really. I heard it a couple of times in today's final where the commentator mentioned something about "the big four" and without disrespecting Murray, I couldn't help but think that term was outdated.

Is it more simply put "the big three"?

Not trying to wind up Murray fans, so I apologise in advance for the inevitable consternation which is about to present itself.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
It's certainly not a big 4 right now with Andy at the bottom of the top 10 and not having beaten a top 10 player in over a year.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
In before "it was never a big 4 just a big 3"

The term "big 4" is still thrown around by comms to describe the 4 players who were considered part of it, it's used in the past tense. It doesn't describe the current state of tennis, where in a few events this year we have had new winners and different semi finalists. The closest to a big 4 monopoly was the french open where 3 out of the 4 made it. But there's a been a new slam winner this year and 2 new winners of masters. It's slowly but surely evolving into a new chapter of tennis.

There are 2 players still doing more than the rest and we all know who they are, but even they are under pressure these days with both capable of losing early in events.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Last four slam finals:

U.S. Open: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Australian Open: Nadal vs. Wawrinka
Roland Garros: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Wimbledon: Federer vs. Djokovic

Last 7 Masters finals:

Indian Wells: Djokovic vs. Federer
Miami: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Monte Carlo: Federer vs. Wawrinka
Madrid: Nadal vs. Nishikori
Rome: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Canada: Federer vs. Tsonga
Cincinnati: Federer vs. Ferrer

Djokovic: 6
Nadal: 6
Federer:5
Murray: 0

:shrug:

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Big 4? :lol: There's only room for one king on the top of the hill and that king's name is Federer. The other 3 make for good dukes though

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
No. The Big 4 haven't dominated since 2012. I guess you could still use the term in regards to fame though. Murray is probably still the 4th most 'known' tennis player worldwide, despite no longer being a top player.

If Murray continues his 2014ray form into Wimbledon next year then the pundits will most likely stop using the phrase.

·
6,247 Posts
More or less a continuation of the "is Andy Murray finished"" question.
But the Big 4 ended last year with Fed's drop down the rankings anyway.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
There was never a big 4. Only big 3. Murray never was part of the game. Period.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Last four slam finals:

U.S. Open: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Australian Open: Nadal vs. Wawrinka
Roland Garros: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Wimbledon: Federer vs. Djokovic

Last 7 Masters finals:

Indian Wells: Djokovic vs. Federer
Miami: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Monte Carlo: Federer vs. Wawrinka
Madrid: Nadal vs. Nishikori
Rome: Djokovic vs. Nadal
Canada: Federer vs. Tsonga
Cincinnati: Federer vs. Ferrer

Djokovic: 6
Nadal: 6
Federer:5
Murray: 0

:shrug:
Yep. The stats don't lie there is only a big 3

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
There was never a big 4. Only big 3. Murray never was part of the game. Period.
Murray at 9 still has more Masters titles then the rest of the field combined (Hewitt included).

Also won the same number of GS titles and more GS finals than the field combined if Hewitt is ruled out.

Between Wimbledon 2012 and 2013 Murray has won 2 GS (+ olympic gold) and made 2 more GS finals i.e. one more GS win and one more GS final than reining no.1 Djokovic in that same 12 month period and 3 GS finals more than Federer or Nadal.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Big 4? :lol: There's only room for one king on the top of the hill and that king's name is Federer. The other 3 make for good dukes though
Consistency maybe ... but when Nole is not thinking about marriage or kids and does not have choke jobs, he is the man to beat. Roger is old man. I love the guy but he is not going to dominate against young guns. It's Nole/Rafa and Roger is third. Murray & Wawrinka ... not consistent enough. Del Po always injured. Tsonga king one week clown the next. The rest are hopeless

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
there was a moment where murphy was part of the "big4"

2012/2013 he made 4 gs-finals in a row (didn't compete rg2013) and won 2 of them.

but now?! no...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Nope. Murray's last big accomplishment was Wimbledon 2013, so until he's in the top 4 we cannot. Federer's 2013 slide lasted only a few months, and he gets more leeway anyway because of his history and his numerous mini-comebacks over the years.

I don't accept there was never a big 4. There was a big 2 through the end of 2009, and when Murray and Djokovic started regularly getting to slam finals and semis in 2010 that became a big 4.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Nope. Murray's last big accomplishment was Wimbledon 2013, so until he's in the top 4 we cannot. Federer's 2013 slide lasted only a few months, and he gets more leeway anyway because of his history and his numerous mini-comebacks over the years.

I don't accept there was never a big 4. There was a big 2 through the end of 2009, and when Murray and Djokovic started regularly getting to slam finals and semis in 2010 that became a big 4.
Only people who were dropped as babies don't understand The Big 4. 'Murray was never big fore, british media bla bla' is just one of the standard calling cards of the town idiots around here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Murray has more ATP1000 titles than everyone on tour (not named Djokovic/Nadal/Federer) COMBINED. So yes, Murray is one of the big 4 left on tour. He also has 2 Grandslam titles. The number of Grandslams not owned by the Big 4? 2 (Del Potro and Stan, not counting Hewitt).

It's painfully obvious that Murray, although not right now, is the 4th best player on tour.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Murray has more ATP1000 titles than everyone on tour (not named Djokovic/Nadal/Federer) COMBINED. So yes, Murray is one of the big 4 left on tour. He also has 2 Grandslam titles. The number of Grandslams not owned by the Big 4? 2 (Del Potro and Stan, not counting Hewitt).

It's painfully obvious that Murray, although not right now, is the 4th best player on tour.
He's not the 4th best player right now, and he hasn't been for over a year. So I think that unfortunately you can't say that any more. I think he'll get there again though. If he works out his psychological issues, he'll outclass everyone ranked above him - especially Raonic who is a waste of space.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts