Votes: 32 94.1%
  • Choking exists but is rare

Votes: 2 5.9%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always seen tennis as being a pure stat based sport where you can't run down the clock, as long as you are still hitting a ball and dont hear the words game set match, technically you can win from any position even down 6-0 6-0 5-0 40-0.

I know you can win more points and lose the match but it doesn't happen often.

Surely the best player in the key moments always wins, bar injury or a terrible line call (which goes both ways)? And now with hawk eye that doesn't happen.

·
Delicious
3,560 Posts
Pressure situations.

Inability to swallow food during changeover.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Even players themselves admit that biggest part of tennis is mental.
Everybody who plays any kind of tennis knows what it feels like when there is an important game or point coming up.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Tennis is an intuitive sport, think too much and your muscles tighten up and you will glitch on your technique and miss shots you wouldn't even nightmare of missing. The 'fear of missing'. Many people think you cannot 'choke a match away' unless you are in the lead, this is how the main-stream media/public see it, however the players see it different. You can choke opportunities at break-points, 0-30 leads, serving to stay in sets and matches. Serving to stay in sets and matches are the most common in tennis, infact, they are MORE FREQUENT than the choking from a lead. The most common type of choke is when a player is behind 5-4 and serving for a set, they lose the first point and then are broken to love. Their player grasps the momentum and then suddenly they are even more tight, serving at 5-6 down trying to stay in the set. They end up losing the set 5-7 ofcourse. That's why you see somany 5-4 to 5-7 scorelines, or 5-2 to 5-7.

Novak Djokovic did it at the US Open in 2013, he choked UMPTEEN break-points for a DOUBLE BREAK lead in the third set and it's because he knew that would have more or less pretty much finished Rafael off. He had many second serves and opportunities, but he just kept falling short due to the tension. In the end he gifted Nadal the break back with 'pure' unforced errors and enabled Nadal to ride off some momentum. 5-4 serving to stay in the set and Nadal breaks to 40. Game, set and match. The set Novak probably played the best tennis of the entire tournament in, he lost. :lol: That is the epitome of a choke for me. Most people see it as blowing a lead in a match from 2 sets up or something, there's many other subtle ways of choking.

Tennis is the most psychological sport on the planet, alongside Snooker and Golf. Studied about this stuff.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Your poll questions and answers don't mach up.

Anyways, yes, choking is very common.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
"choking" is the most overused word on this forum.

Too many idiots that don't understand simple statistical concepts.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I've always seen tennis as being a pure stat based sport where you can't run down the clock, as long as you are still hitting a ball and dont hear the words game set match, technically you can win from any position even down 6-0 6-0 5-0 40-0.

I know you can win more points and lose the match but it doesn't happen often.

Surely the best player in the key moments always wins, bar injury or a terrible line call (which goes both ways)? And now with hawk eye that doesn't happen.
Yes, but this is often determined by one player choking. I know, because I have done it myself many times.:angel:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Tennis is an intuitive sport, think too much and your muscles tighten up and you will glitch on your technique and miss shots you wouldn't even nightmare of missing. The 'fear of missing'. Many people think you cannot 'choke a match away' unless you are in the lead, this is how the main-[B]stream media/public see it, however the players see it different. You can choke opportunities at break-points, 0-30 leads, serving to stay in sets and matches. Serving to stay in sets and matches are the most common in tennis, infact, they are MORE FREQUENT than the choking from a lead. The most common type of choke is when a player is behind 5-4 and serving for a set, they lose the first point and then are broken to love. Their player grasps the momentum and then suddenly they are even more tight, serving at 5-6 down trying to stay in the set. They end up losing the set 5-7 ofcourse. That's why you see somany 5-4 to 5-7 scorelines, or 5-2 to 5-7.

[/B]Novak Djokovic did it at the US Open in 2013, he choked UMPTEEN break-points for a DOUBLE BREAK lead in the third set and it's because he knew that would have more or less pretty much finished Rafael off. He had many second serves and opportunities, but he just kept falling short due to the tension. In the end he gifted Nadal the break back with 'pure' unforced errors and enabled Nadal to ride off some momentum. 5-4 serving to stay in the set and Nadal breaks to 40. Game, set and match. The set Novak probably played the best tennis of the entire tournament in, he lost. :lol: That is the epitome of a choke for me. Most people see it as blowing a lead in a match from 2 sets up or something, there's many other subtle ways of choking.

Tennis is the most psychological sport on the planet, alongside Snooker and Golf. Studied about this stuff.

Nice analysis.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Tennis is obviously just a simple mathematical formula; Tennis result = [(Ability * fitness)/mental strength] - luck coefficient(x)

Reactions: Fargif

·
Registered
692 Posts
Anderson's style = choking

/thread.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I hate the term choking as its too easily used, but as tennis is one of the most mental sports out there, if there's choking in any sport, its tennis. Really dumb thread, not surprising seeing who opened it.

·
Registered
62,564 Posts
Choking is extremely common in tennis, more than any other sport I think. I'd say a good 25% of matches are chokes to some degree.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Choking is extremely common in tennis, more than any other sport I think. I'd say a good 25% of matches are chokes to some degree.
No.

Snooker, Golf, Diving, Darts. Most individual sports involve a lot of choking. Tennis and Golf are probably up there though with the top two.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts