Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone goes on about Nadal as the person who will rather die than lose a match. I've seen from Federer that he too never gives up until the last point either, but no one will ever associate him with that kind of attitude? Why?

Discuss

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It's not that Fed doesn't fight but the rivalry is marketed as the tennis playing genius vs the indomitable warrior.

The two players share many characteristics but each has different predominant traits.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not that Fed doesn't fight but the rivalry is marketed as the tennis playing genius vs the indomitable warrior.

The two players share many characteristics but each has different predominant traits.
True, I mean I can remember last year at Cincinnati, the whole world predicted annihilation in that QF. Pressure from the media, clearly not at 100%. Then he came out and played like that. Rafa and him clearly share that 'never say die' personality, but it's not often mentioned with Federer in comparison

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Also Nadal, particularly when younger, looked to the average viewer as though he plays the entire math on the back foot by retrieving. Federer by contrast looks like he is dictating play. He fights by playing well in important moments but it's a strange contrast with his seemingly effortless style.

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
There is a stat I was just looking at, which I found very interesting.

Federer has come back from 2 sets down 8 times in his career. Nadal however has only done that 2 times.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Federer has come back from 2 sets down 8 times in his career. Nadal however has only done that 2 times.
I think Federer can fight very hard to win, but at the same time there are several occasions where he has just gone away mentally in the fifth set. To me he has more ups and downs than Nadal, who is pretty constant throughout.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
He does have that attitude, but Federer is more of an introvert, so even when he does fight back, he isn't as loud and celebratory every time he starts to fight back.
Nadal, on the other hand, is more of an extrovert, which is why it is synonymous with him.

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
"Spartan" attitude is not only about fighting back, but also winning. Fed has no "Spartan" attitude, when he starts to lose he goes all the way down.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It's tough to say, he's got two bouncing twins at home. Could be distracting when you want to get home and see the sprogs for a week or two when your two sets down

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
"Spartan" attitude is not only about fighting back, but also winning. Fed has no "Spartan" attitude, when he starts to lose he goes all the way down.
8 cases that prove your point, I take it:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spartan means you are the underdog and you'll win against all odds.

Federer was the great favourite every time he played. Even when he was two sets down, everybody was just waiting for the gamechanger. So it never seemed as if he would fight his way back and do the impossible.
-Well, one time he had this chance. Wimbledon 08 with the great passing shot to deny Nadal the champsionship. But sadly he couldn't back it up in the 5th set.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
"Spartan attitude" is just Dulltards (mainly 15 year old boys raving about the POS movie 300) trying to build an ever lacking manlihood. Who gives a f... :spit:

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Always amused me that Nadal of all people gets called "Spartan". He's yells vamos and runs like shit yes, but he also whines like no other player in the top 50, takes timely MTOs, gets on-court coaching and takes 30 seconds between points. Nadal is like a loud and competitive child, not a warrior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal remind me a little bit of Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa in the first two Rocky films. Federer is hailed as the greatest of all time with a style that is based on skill and finesse and has some flamboyance to his personality. Nadal comes along with a low key, blue collar approach and tough-as-nails fighting spirit and gives him fits.

Not a perfect comparison, but I see some general similarities.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Against every other player on tour, yes.

Against Nadal, he gives up the second he loses the first set in a match.

Beautiful, no?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Against every other player on tour, yes.

Against Nadal, he gives up the second he loses the first set in a match.

Beautiful, no?
Hamburg 2007(clay) - Federer def. Nadal 2-6 6-2 6-0

Beautiful, no?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Hamburg 2007(clay) - Federer def. Nadal 2-6 6-2 6-0

Beautiful, no?
Coming back against a man playing his 4th final in 5 weeks.

Warriorer :worship:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Coming back against a man playing his 4th final in 5 weeks.

Warriorer :worship:
It has been unwittingly proven that even an endless stamina has its limits :worship:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts