Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last five Slam finals were featuring a player who was at least considered one of three Top favourites and a player who was considered to have next to zero chances to make it there. What will it be at French then?

Something like Kuerten-Rusedski? Or Safin-Sampras? Or Ferrero-Ancic?

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Corretja-Schalken, with the Dutchman implausibly going on to triumph over a clay-court veteran and claim his first Grand Slam simply by being solid and possessing a "good forehand, good backhand" (his own inimitable turn of phrase at last year's US Open)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
read my post about the depth of the ATP tour in your lucky thread. i think it's the same issue.

Sampras has no chance of making to the finals of RG regardless of the depth or the draw; he just doesn't have the game. have you ever seen him slide? lol!!!! :)

maybe the finals will be Gasquet vs Mathieu. it could happen...;) ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Or how about Sampras-Costa? The seven-time Wimbledon champion makes it to the final once again in his farewell bid to the tour, but comes up short against a man who has suddenly managed to find his grasscourt A-game.

"I gave it all I had, but he was just too good out there," Sampras admits generously. "Those flat, deep-bouncing shots, the superb slice backhand, the brilliantly executed serve-volley gameplan... somehow I just wasn't expecting that from Albert, you know?"

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
LOL @ Sjengster

That reminds me of the article floating around here somewhere, where they have Henman saying that he wasn't a choker at Wimbledon, but that "Gustavo Kuerten was always going ot be hard to beat on grass" - in the finals, when talking about what was in store for 2002 :D

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Yes, it was something of a steal from that article - I suppose I could have made it Henman instead of Sampras but you know, avatar commitments and all...

How about US Open, Hewitt-Kafelnikov? In a sudden resurgence in form, Yevgency cuts out the unforced errors and makes Hewitt work hard for every point, winning in a fiercely contested five-setter. The world no. 1 complements his opponent, stating that "Yevgeny's game is hard for me to combat against I reckon... we've always had tough matches here over the years, and this one was no exception."

For his part, Kafelnikov finally manages to make his infamous comment about giving Hewitt a "tennis lesson" shortly before being thrashed in Davis Cup seem believable.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
LMAO, this thread is too funny. :D

How about Goran taking out Ferrero in the RG final in his very first comeback tournament, after completely restructuring his game so he wouldn't have to rely on his serve anymore to give his shoulder a rest.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Aus Open 2004 Agassi-Gambill: Having once more swept through the draw en route to his fifth final and his fourth in five years, Agassi is confronted by compatriot Jan-Michael Gambill, who has previously got past the first round just once but has had the benefit of an easy route through to the final.

Gambill has a magnificent serving day, times the ball better and hits it harder than Andre, and ends up sweeping the A-Train off the court in straight sets, beating him genuinely for the second time in a lucky 13 matches.

In the post-match interview, Gambill spouts praise for his own performance, mentioning that he watched classic episodes of Deep Space Nine and saw Star Trek Insurrection to help give him the inspiration to defeat his nemesis.

Agassi is so upset and dismayed at the result that he skips the press conference and is fined the mandatory fee, and is later heard screaming at wife Steffi about the lack of new, upcoming American talent to replace the likes of Gambill that he is supposed to beat comfortably.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Roland Garros 03 Grosjean-Escude: Having fulfilled the dreams of the home crowd by making it to the final of his native Slam, 'Seb' once again lets his fans down by inexplicably falling to a fellow countryman whose record is poorer here than most Spaniards at Wimbledon.
Grosjean tries to make excuses after the match, declaring that "Nicolas' heavy, consistent topspin groundstrokes and willingness to grind out points from the baseline really made it difficult for me to sustain a high level", but does not wish to admit that he was rather careless in letting his two sets to love, 5-0 lead in the third set slip away from him in familiar fashion.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
LMAO @ Gambill bragging about his performance. :D That one is only too believable.

Ouch, the Grosjean one almost hurts. 2 sets to love and 5-0 :eek: If he lost to anyone else but Nico, the crowd would have ripped him to pieces. :eek: The French are so unforgiving. LOL, Escude playing from the baseline. :D I rather think the net is his centre of gravity.

Kudos to you, Sjengster!
Thanks for the laughs. :D

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
LMAO @Sjengster!!!! Too funny :)

JMG is hilarious, esp. "beating him genuinely for the second time in a lucky 13 matches" :D

Not to mention the baseliner Nico :D

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Marat spanking Pete again, but this time at Wimbledon or Henman winning RG and not Wimbledon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts