Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think YES!

He was lucky to have won those two slams, now the big boys have caught up. Federer has his slam, Ferrero has his slam and they're confident now. They're going nowhere. In a matter of weeks, Roddick could be having a slam of his own. If only Marat Safin could solve his problems, and then there'll be no room for Hewitt anymore. Hewitt's days of luck are over.

What do you think?

·
Registered
24,655 Posts
come on, Hewitt is jsut 22, not 32, not yet finished :devil:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
hewitt has TWO slams; marat has ONE

hewitt #1 for TWO YEARS; marat NEVER!

Hewitt playing like crap now; marat not playing at all :sad:

Hewitt needs to get in shape and go back to his old game of perfect depth and placement on all of his shots. His game was not "lucky" but rather highly skillful.

but he really needs to find some joy in the game or else, yes, he is finished.

·
SammySammySammy OiOiOi
12,534 Posts
Maybe "finished" like Agassi and Ivanesavic who both plummeted to a ranking well below 100 before working their way up through the challengers back to grand slam wins (and in Agassi's case, better form than ever).

The guy's having a bad run but he already won 2 tournamnets including a Masters this year and he is 22, not 32.

In my view, the playing less strategy was a really really bad one but he will probably figure that out himself.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: Re: Is Hewitt finished?

martinatreue said:
hewitt has TWO slams; marat has ONE

hewitt #1 for TWO YEARS; marat NEVER!

Hewitt playing like crap now; marat not playing at all :sad:

Hewitt needs to get in shape and go back to his old game of perfect depth and placement on all of his shots. His game was not "lucky" but rather highly skillful.

but he really needs to find some joy in the game or else, yes, he is finished.
Actually, Marat has been number 1.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Hewitt did not hang on to the number one spot for 2 years and win 2 grand slams with luck. That would require an insane amount of luck.

It's not that the other guys are playing better (some are) and are catching up, it's Hewitt that's playing much, much worse this year. His confidence is gone, his fighting spirit is gone, and with that he's become too erratic. He can't trust his shots anymore. But that doesn't mean he can't find his form again, in fact I see no reason why he wouldn't, once he starts concentrating on tennis again and makes some necessary changes, i.e. grow up and stop being so dependent on his parents.

But I doubt that he'll ever be such a threat as he was during those 2 years, his huge psychological advantage is probably gone. I also doubt that he'll rise all the way to the top again, at least not in the forseeable future. If he starts playing better, he should be able to plant himself firmly in the top 5.

Let's see what happens at the US Open, shall we? That will be the best barometer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No he's not finished. He just needs to get his act together i think. Hope he recovers from this slump quickt though

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Is Hewitt finished?

Queen Rebecca said:
Actually, Marat has been number 1.
I thought that Marat had a chance to take the number one position at the Masters Cup in Lisbon, but failed to do so. I obviously missed something. Did he become number one for a few weeks in the fall after he won the USO?

Perhaps it would have been better phrased to say that Lleyton finished number one in the world for two years in a row, and Marat was never the year end number one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What you call luck :eek:!
No, Lleyton isn't finished yet, he's young, he's talented, he has everything to get back on the top, where he belongs. He'll be back, don't worry!

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
mimi said:
come on, Hewitt is jsut 22, not 32, not yet finished :devil:
Courier was only 22 when he won the last of his 4 slams
after Wimbledon 1993 he was never a contender again after losing that final as well as 1993 RF

he lost his intensity

Mats Wilander also got bored at the ripe age of 23 after hitting #1 in 1988 winning 3 of 4 slams
he lost his desire, had a little break but was never the same as he had accomplished all he ever wanted to, instead he went muscial and partying, cocaine snorting, and having fun with women.

But one could never see Hewitt with a guitar in his hands :lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Re: Re: Is Hewitt finished?

TheBoiledEgg said:
he lost his desire, had a little break but was never the same as he had accomplished all he ever wanted to, instead he went muscial and partying, cocaine snorting, and having fun with women.

But one could never see Hewitt with a guitar in his hands :lol:
No, but he does like to snort :)

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Aww! That ranking's dropping at the end of the year. Below #8?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Hewitt finished?

star said:
I thought that Marat had a chance to take the number one position at the Masters Cup in Lisbon, but failed to do so. I obviously missed something. Did he become number one for a few weeks in the fall after he won the USO?

Perhaps it would have been better phrased to say that Lleyton finished number one in the world for two years in a row, and Marat was never the year end number one.
Marat was number 1 in the entry system for part of November 2000 and after the Australian Open in 2001. The ATP did not advertise this because they were too busy shitting themselves over the first annual Champions Race. In fact, I believe that Marat was the first player who made it to number one in the entry ranks who did not get any special recognition for it whatsoever.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Hmm..didn't know that Marat was #1 again in 2001. *goes to check Marat's current ranking...*

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
He wont be #1 again. Maybe he will just be a top ten player. The others have definitely caught up, once they get their heads worked out i dont think Hewitt will have much of a chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts