Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tennis isn't just about the technicalities of hitting a tennis ball - it's about a struggle between two individuals. I think it adds a good frisson when players genuinely dislike each other. That's why I'm hoping there's more of this stuff from the Kyrgios/Kokkinakis generation. Every time one of the big four beats another in a slam, it's all respectful hugs and syrupy remarks. For once I'd love Djokovic to come out and say "I've beaten Roger's ass here, I'll beat his ass at the next slam. You should retire old man because otherwise I'll destroy your reputation."

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I don't mind trash talk that a) stays between the two opponents on the court and b) stays away from anything truly offensive (racial slurs, etc.)

I do think there's a wide gulf between the Kokkinakis/Harrison old-school dustup and Kyrgios bringing in two innocent bystanders.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Yes. Unless you have federer-nadal type rivalries you need something else. Tennis will never rise above that type of popularity unless there is something more compelling than the quality of play.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think it is. Notice that when somebody wins a grand slam, that news is never outside of sports section in the news, but Kyrgios-Waw and Kokkinakis-Harrison made the front pages of news sites that don't even cover sports.

That means, interesting personalities, trash talk and controversies bring more attention to the sport, which leads more people and wider population learning and getting interested to the characters, and eventually becoming interested in sport in general.

·
23,941 Posts
I am not sure if a bad thing would be good for the sport but it does drum up popularity...I'm not sure if I'm OK with tennis being associated with negativity though (I like dislike if it is a friendly rivalry that they can't handle being beaten by one but not in a personal level).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts