Mens Tennis Forums banner

Worst Draw Half of all time for an ATP 500?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barely one match into an ATP 500 and you get this pathetic sight :superlol:

Red meat for the vulture brigade especially with declined Nadal far from being a Final shoo-in :shrug:

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
Vulturing those 500 points must be glorious.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
de Bakker in R2..it doesn't get much harder than that

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
This is why I say top 10 players should be banned from playing south american clay court events, that would stop mugs like ferrer inflating their rankings.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
It is a horribly weak tournament to start with. The #5 Gilles is ranked 13 places higher in a 250 than the #5 seed in this 500.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
South American clay courts are a very weak part of the year in terms of who plays in these tournaments. That's why I don't believe Rio should be a 500 event...

·
Registered
62,565 Posts
This is why I say top 10 players should be banned from playing south american clay court events, that would stop mugs like ferrer inflating their rankings.
I assumed you were joking when you first said that, but am increasingly unsure :scared:

Anyway, all I can say as a fan is yay! His draw has certainly fallen to pieces, no excuse to not make the final now. Reversal of last year with regards to Nadal and Ferrer's halves.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Well, not everyone can have a titanic draw like Nadal had last year, when #40 Andujar was the highest ranked player he beat on his way to the title.

It was already a cake walk when the draw came out, the seeds going out didn't turn it into one. Nadal and Ferrer are simply far and away the best players in the draw.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
You guys will be surpised by Rola's level on the clay. Mark my... Okay nevermind.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, not everyone can have a titanic draw like Nadal had last year, when #40 Andujar was the highest ranked player he beat on his way to the title.

It was already a cake walk when the draw came out, the seeds going out didn't turn it into one. Nadal and Ferrer are simply far and away the best players in the draw.
Except Nadal is the Clay GOAT and draws are non-issue for him :lol:

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Except Nadal is the Clay GOAT and draws are non-issue for him :lol:
And it would have been possible to construct a tough draw for Ferrer out of this field?

I don't think so. Same thing.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I assumed you were joking when you first said that, but am increasingly unsure :scared:

Anyway, all I can say as a fan is yay! His draw has certainly fallen to pieces, no excuse to not make the final now. Reversal of last year with regards to Nadal and Ferrer's halves.
I mean it, this vulturing allows people like you to overrate him.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
And it would have been possible to construct a tough draw for Ferrer out of this field?

I don't think so. Same thing.
They shouldn't be allowed to play, the winner of this pathetic event will get the same amount of points as stan got for last week. This is how ferrer asterisked his way to number 3.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Other than Rafa and Ferrer, who else is there really? Same for Buenos Aires minus Ferrer, just Rafa. The thing is, the big names don't usually play the South American clay court swing. I remember some years back when Rafa wasn't playing the SA clay court swing thinking, the only reason these guys are winning is because Rafa's not there.

·
Registered
62,565 Posts
Top 10 players should be banned from playing south american clay court events, no better way to deal with this.
Nothing better for tennis than limiting the fields at ATP events :rolleyes:

Rio has a shitty field. That sucks. Oh well. They are offering 500 points, it is not Nadal/Ferrer's fault a lot of good players aren't playing here. Do you feel the same way about del Potro playing Washington, I wonder?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
It looks especially bad compared to Rotterdam last week, where there were 4 top 10 players (and 5 more top 20 players) in the field, and Stan beat two top 10 players back-to-back to win the title. But it is the way it is. You can't really fault a top 10 player for wanting to play a 500 event (aren't they required to play a certain number of them anyways?) Playing in a 500-event isn't vulturing. Better to fault the other top players for not wanting to come play on South American clay, I guess.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts